What do you prefer: physical book or using kindle?

Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
me, I probably prefer a physical book. I just keep concentrate when looking a screen. Plus I look at a computer monitor almost the whole day, hurt my eyes. So, what do you guys prefer? But on the other hand, I hate having all kinds of physical books lying around.

Comments

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I prefer a physical book. It's easy to flip through and skim pages with visual cues rather than a simple index (or search). Speed reading style.

However, having hundreds of books on a tiny, light, easy to use device? That's awesome.

Two different usage scenarios for me, though. In a data center looking something up? Laptop/Kindle all the way. Studying or whatever? Physical. Causal reading? Either way, but I prefer a physical book.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Physical books are nice, I'm trying to get used to eBooks though. So much more convenient. SafariBooksOnline subscription and being able to access thousands book at any time is really nice. I just got a 12.9" iPad Pro which I really like for reading. I bought one of those Kindle Paperwhites but I think for technical reading those are too small.

I know some people on here have those large eReaders that look like just paper. Those aren't cheap though!
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If the options for technical books were only physical book or kindle I would go the physical book route. The kindle format just doesn't look right for tech books. For reading novels and such kindle hands down its lightweight and portable. I can't read a book on a computer screen because my eyes wear out. I only do my reading on some form of ereader which I can read on for hours. I tried to read on tablets of all different sizes it would still bother my eyes even with night mode.

With that said for tech books pdfs I got a onyx boox max its crazy expensive but I don't leave home without it. It is a 13 inch ereader and displays each page the same size of the technical book. You can jump around with the table of contents, search bar looking for key words, and turning pages is fast without any lag.
  • init6init6 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a mix. For reference books I'll use for years, I always get a paper book. For certifications I usually get paper books for one main reason - I can sell them after I pass the exam! That's the biggest drawback with ebooks ... no ability for resale. However, I actually much prefer reading books on my iPad Pro than I do reading paper books. I tend to read in bed or sitting on the sofa, so a ~1lb tablet versus a 4+lb book? I definitely prefer the tablet. I don't get eye strain or other problems from looking at monitors all day, especially since I use f.lux on my PCs and Night Shift on my iPad. If you're not using these color temperature changers, especially if you view backlit screens well into the night, you're doing yourself a disservice (as blue light interferes with your ability to sleep).

I also have a Paperwhite, but as NetworkNewb mentioned, it's just too small for technical reading (but stuff like "Time Management for Sysadmins" is very readable on it). Having said all that, I am going to read my paper copy of Michael W. Lucas's "SSH Mastery" until I fall asleep now. icon_study.gif
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm happy to stick with digital editions as long as it's not from a company that forces you to use their crummy viewing software. If they provide multiple formats like watermarked PDF I'm all in. I like being able to change the size of the text to reduce eye strain.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Simple answer for me is BOTH. When I worked in the office I would buy both soft and hard copies as I would study PDF/Kindle Cloud Reader at work and the book at home. I do prefer the physical copy, however for some subjects it is nice to have the electronic copy when I'm labbing and can keep it up in a window next to what I'm working on. For example I've picked up a Python book on Kindle so I can have it open and be typing code next to it, rather than having to constantly look down. Like dmarcisco said, I get anything else via Kindle.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I vote book. I forgot one kindle on the plane and never saw it again, another I leaned on my accident and cracked the screen, the one I have now I haven't turned it on in almost a year.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I still prefer physical books.

I have tried iPad, kindle, and Samsung galaxy. The screen is either too small or to shiny and I still get eye fatigue looking at the screen.

The next thing I am going to try is a 13.3 inch digital paper system. I am at a toss up between the Sony DPTS1 and the Onyx BOOX Max.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Physical books for certification and references.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I had an infinite budget, I would go with physical books. I love books. However, as my budget does not allow it, I much prefer having an account to SafaribooksOnline. It took a few month to get used to, but now I can read as much as I want. Often when I bought a book, I felt obliged to read it cover to cover... now, I dont find guilty to jump around as my curiosity force me :)

My current reading device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, but I would love a large 9-10" inch Android tablet with e-ink display (with a reasonable price too).
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eBooks with physical notes. I don't know why.
    tunerX wrote: »
    I still prefer physical books.

I have tried iPad, kindle, and Samsung galaxy. The screen is either too small or to shiny and I still get eye fatigue looking at the screen.

The next thing I am going to try is a 13.3 inch digital paper system. I am at a toss up between the Sony DPTS1 and the Onyx BOOX Max.

I tried reading on the samsung galaxy tab A it is responsive for pdfs and in full color which is nice but my eyes would still bother me so that route did not pan out for me.

Dude the 13.3 ereader is a game changer its really light and you can annotate on pdfs. I got the Onyx boox max since the DPTS1 is unavailable or being sold for over a grand since its still supposed to be the creme de la creme for pdfs. Not sure how different my experience would be with the Sony but I love the Onyx boox max. Something about being able to write notes on the pdfs with a pen really allows for an immersive reading experience.

I attached a picture when used for workbooks which is nice as well.
  • Ohioman1972Ohioman1972 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just for convenience I like reading my phone/monitor. Bookmarking, portability, availability. I always have my phone, I wont always keep books.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Dude the 13.3 ereader is a game changer its really light and you can annotate on pdfs. I got the Onyx boox max since the DPTS1 is unavailable or being sold for over a grand since its still supposed to be the creme de la creme for pdfs. Not sure how different my experience would be with the Sony but I love the Onyx boox max. Something about being able to write notes on the pdfs with a pen really allows for an immersive reading experience.

That looks nice. Have you had any excessing battery drain or lagging problems where you have to reboot it all of the time?
    I read on the ereader forums about people that had issues. When I got it I installed the latest update from the vendor website. I never had any issues. Battery on it runs for over a month but I always have the wifi turned off. No lagging issues maybe on the kindle app but its fine if you enable A2 mode on the ereader. I personally wouldn't read kindle books on this though it does feel a little limited.
  • Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I prefer physical for certification/study material, and ebook for pleasure.
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • Master YodaMaster Yoda Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Physical book for sure! I'm not sure why I guess it makes me want to study more instead of playing on my kindle/iPad :P
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I prefer reading from a physical book, but the search function on paper is pretty bad. When I buy books, I often buy the physical and digital (it's usually a small extra cost) so that I get the best of both.

A shelf full of books you've read is also pretty cool to look at. A shelf full of books you are planning to read isn't so cool.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    A shelf full of books you've read is also pretty cool to look at. A shelf full of books you are planning to read isn't so cool.

That's a big issue I had with e-Books for a long time and why I now buy my e-Books. I'll always buy E-books now to ensure that I actually read them.

Unfortunately being able to pirate books puts you in a position of having all the books in the world but never being able to read them all.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    onyx looks so beautiful but damn its $800.
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use both, but I lean towards physical books. It helps me retain the information better and keeps me interested in the subject. The same reason why I prefer taking notes with a pen and paper as opposed to a note taking app (e.g. Evernote) via typing it in or a digital stylus.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Physical book by far. Kindle is good..but in the end paper > screen does it for me.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I struggle with this one. With my safari subscription, it makes more sense not to buy physical books. However, I find using a kindle makes me sleepy easier
  • NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use a combination of both, but prefer physical books in the end. I feel I am more engaged dealing with the physical pages.

Its similar to taking notes by hand versus typing them up...I find it makes the information stick a little better (personal opinion of course).
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020