Why do you study for certifications?

as the topic above, why do you study for certifications? is there any particular reason you need to study? I am trying to see why and how people pursue their certs.

:D:D:D

Thank you guys.

have a nice day.
mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Not sure what you are looking for.....

Do you mean "Why do people study for certifications?"
    Is so, then for myself I study as a review of material I work with and focus on those specific objectives for an exam. I may have an understanding of 'how' things work, but each exam covers a specific area and studying prepares me for those objectives.

I also find it somewhat helpful to be able to have an standardized exam evaluate ones knowledge....though my view on standardized testing clashes with this, but for IT exams....in the case where techs study and prepare in areas where they have experience or their job requires them to know knowledge in an area...it makes sense to pass the exam. For those who merely study to collect certs... I see no point.

That's just me :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    taktsoi wrote:
    as the topic above, why do you study for certifications? is there any particular reason you need to study? I am trying to see why and how people pursue their certs.

Thank you guys.

have a nice day.

tell us why u study for yours then i'll follow up with a response to your question
    stonecold26.jpg
  • taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    I have been working as a lab tech for quite long..mm. for more than 6 years. as this is a low pay job, I am trying to get some certs to move on.

I have the PC experiences since win3.1, the DOS age, NT 4. After I got the lab tech position, I learned something new. like Active directory in w2k, VLAN, routing, etc....

altho the job gets my hand dirty, but the salary is killing me. I would like to keep this job because I love this job, but I would like to find a better job as a combo if situation allows.

any comment?
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I come from a completely different background and studied for certs initially to see if I had what I felt was a good enough knowledge to go out and get a job in this industry. I kind of got side-tracked after I started working as I had to learn a lot about a very wide variety of things and have not really found the incentive to restart studying.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    mines pritty much the same reason as above, i've been working in a network admin role for 3 years now and i love the job but hate my crap wage, so im getting certs to boost my knowledge and my cv.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    I study to keep myself sharp and improve my marketable skills.
    I have a non-IT degree so for me the certs give me the knowledge I need to advance.
    In the past I made the mistake of chasing certs just to boost my resume.
    I am now making sure I know the material beyond just passing the test
    The only way for me to study this IT info is to challenge myself with certs
    otherwise I wont study.There is no way in the world I would read a book on active directory etc just to be reading it.

I totally believe in getting the certs as they relate to your present job.

I am afraid that if I list all my certs I will cert myself out of a jo
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Mine came from working in a job where I actually know more than the boss but she takes the credit from her bosses. I wanted to prove that I knew more to my company by getting my MCDST at first. Then 6 months later we got in a citrix server but the tight wads wouldnt pay for any training. Great! And cause my boss knows bugger all about citrix I was the one visiting sites and getting all the hassle ( I nearly walked a couple of times in frustration ) then I decided to turn it to my advantage so went and got as much citrix materials and training that I could find. Then thought as I know loads about it now ( the server is now completly setup to how I want it :D ) why not see if I can take the citrix exam. I did and passed so all to my benefit ( and any future employers ). Knocked out the 270 as Im quite good with XP.

Now although I am also the network admin for 14 servers theirs also alot I didnt know as we didnt use it and like I said my boss knows pretty little. So I have decided to do the 290. Again its nice to see what COULD be done with the correct knowledge. Its pretty fun to watch your boss edit every user account individually to add them to a group whilst you know you can just do this in 1 swoop. Again I dont get any thanks or praise if I do show her. icon_mad.gif

However their stupid enough to let me keep on taking exams and using their network for practice whilst I build up a lovely CV/resume to give to someone more grateful.

Also I love doing this stuff and its fun learning stuff you might never use.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Ladies, man.

Get yourself a gin and tonic and a cisco manual and bounce to the nearest ice cream social. Watch in awe as every lustrous woman around you swarms you with attention.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Hey, I've got no problem working for a woman :D
    In fact might prefer it. :D - Ask my wife icon_wink.gif

However dont care what gender they are if they dont know what their doing!
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    More $$$. 'nuff said.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I take certs because it makes me feel more like a man. . . icon_lol.gif

No, seriously, I study for a couple of reasons. Number one, I love technology and I love to learn. I find that earning certs gives me a good baseline for a lot of things I wouldn't necessarily have come across just messing around with different technologies, or even while working. It gives me a platform of broader knowledge to stand on when I work to gain more experience, and having the certifications gives me the chance to go out and do the kind of work I want to do. Also, it feels very good to have some recognition for the amount of hours you have to put in to learn some of the more difficult things, but that's just an added bonus.

Lately, though, I've found the certs beneficial in helping me get through school. I'm currently studying computer science and electrical engineering, and the cost of going to the university I want is a pretty big number. I find myself being able to take the kind of jobs that will let me save up some money, really pay for school, without having to take so many loans. The plan is to work full-time for a while, then break and go to school. When I need to find work for the summers, I have a much better chance of scoring a temporary contract position in IT, (for quite a bit more money,) than just having to work in a coffee shop or something. (That's not to say I'll never have to work a "regular" part-time job while going to school, it just means that I might not have to do it as much.) Also, since EECS isn't really big on systems administration or networking, but focuses more on software development, it's beneficial for me to study for certs and gain experience on the "other end" of computing, so I'll have an edge when I go out to find more permanent work after college is over.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I am pursuing Certifications as a means to advance my Knowledge as well as my career. Specifically i'm looking to obtain specific certifications so that I gain gain the knowledge and proof of mastery in that area. I currently have a BS in Computer Systems, will be completing the A+ on Wednesday, then pursuing Net +, Some Unix Administration, Linux Administration, Citrix Administration, Microsoft Administration, Cisco Administration...and so on...I used to work in a field that had nothing what so ever to do with IT and with just my degree I received 0 interviews let alone job offers...now that I have the A+ completed and MCSA classes under my I was able to land an entry level Help desk job, and I live in a Major Metropolitan city. (Chicago) I have been in the background reading posters comments about how certifications don't matter...they do expecially if you don't have any industry experience....I've read just get into an entry level position and build your experience but in my experience you can't get into an entry level position unless you show that you have some type of experience...LOL I will say that I had to take a pay cut to get where I am but the experience gained is well worth it. For those new to the field with no idea on how to get that job...try to gain some experience in the field...you do that either by getting an entry level job and/or getting an entry level certification...they are not mutually exclusive.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ladies, man.

Get yourself a gin and tonic and a cisco manual and bounce to the nearest ice cream social. Watch in awe as every lustrous woman around you swarms you with attention.

Nah, girls dig security guys. Grab a "Hacking Exposed" book and read it with a flashlight while you're on a date with your girlfriend. They love it when you do that. That's how I got my wife. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so i can pass .... so i make make more money .... no not like sally struthers ...
    so i can be better at my job .... and for the chicks ....
    rm -rf /
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Ladies, man.

Nah, girls dig security guys. Grab a "Hacking Exposed" book and read it with a flashlight while you're on a date with your girlfriend. They love it when you do that. That's how I got my wife. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

54_2.JPG
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    taktsoi wrote:

Thank you guys.

have a nice day.

resistance is futile, your information will be assimilated that i may take your job and the paycheck icon_cyclops_ani.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I do it mainly so I can advance in my career, which means more $$$. I enjoy the challenge. Plus there isnt any other feeling like when you pass the exam that you have been busting your ass studying, or the late nights staying up working on a lab, while you know you should of been asleep hours ago. That feeling of "I did it"
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Certifications is all about making more money. I never judge a person by the paper certificates behind their name.

I would never study for certifications if the pay scale wasnt based on it. I would rather study hands on materials that I use in day to day work and become familiar with it so I can be the best at my job.
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    $$$$$$$$$
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • seccieseccie Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like certs, because:

1. someone has made for me the intellectual effort of selecting and putting together the knowledge I need in particular area. If I want to learn something in wireless, I don't need to browse wikipedia, I just take the manual for CWNA, I learn, I pass it and I know that I know it.

2. I like measurable goals.

3. I like learning.
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    I see this post is still going strong.

Just to piggyback for a moment ,everyone has valid reasons to why they study for certs. But my question to this is when is it overkill ?

I had the opportunity to talk to a human resouce person who basically stated that it was a crap shoot when it comes to certs.

What i mean is that when you look at the job descriptions they want everything including your soul. Then the salary is nowhere near what it should be.

They are hoping for someone who will meet all their requirements but when that person asks for a fair salary they get lowballed.

I was also told that it is important to tailor yur resume to the jobnand to even leave some certs off if need be. Reason being they will question why you are applying for a position that you are over qualified for.

Just my $.02
  • JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    For the knowledge and credentials.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.