Options

home lab for QOS

convenientstoreconvenientstore Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okie.. I been reading QOS book for 2 weeks but very tough to swallow them(after EASILY passing cvoice)..

Can someone Please map out a home lab for this? and the cheapest?

I am sorry but I cannot comprehend all these new terms and new scenarios.. and I am thinking I need to build a lab(but as CHEAP as possible).

I have ata186 from work.. but besides that.. i dont have much.. can you PLease tell me how to build a home lab cheap(and please be very specifi on which routers to get and which voice cards and so on? Please?

Also, for those of you, who are insisting on people getting voice device and voice card.. why can't lab consist of

pc(with free voip client)--->switch---->router----router--->switch---pc (w/ free voip client)

Can someone please point out the downside of this setup? (please)

For next CIPT exam. I will be going to boot camp but I really want to pass(and LEARN) the material by year 2006

Can somone please help me.. I am deSPARATE!!!!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From the Doubt about CCVP equipments thread
    mikej412 wrote:
    For QOS all you really need are a couple of routers and a couple of voice routers (FXS and FXO cards, NM-V1 or NM-V2 to hold them, depending on your routers) to generate some RTP traffic. You'd probably want at least 1 2950 switch, and the 3550-PWR would also be nice to have here. If you had some old 2900-XL switches in a home lab, there would be some difference in the number of queues supported by the switches. If you don't have a switch that supplies inline power, then you could use power cubes for the IP Phones (which you'll need here to generate some traffic and get classified by the switches).
    pc(with free voip client)--->switch---->router----router--->switch---pc (w/ free voip client)

Can someone please point out the downside of this setup? (please
    If that free voip client will let you call yourself at the same IP address (or you have multiple Internet connections) -- anything to create some RTP traffic is fine. If its a real point-to-point voip client and you don't need the internet, that would be fine too. If you were doing QOS for the CCIP, I'd say you could skip the IP Phone and trust boundry....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!