For IT Job Seekers

There seems to be alot of postings lately from IT job seekers. Many of us would like to point you in the right direction. I wonder if you wouldn't mind posting your experience (or short resume) in your posts (or a link) so we can take a look and maybe give you some pointers about where to start.
There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.

Comments

• wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    Any help is appreciated, I really want to become a network admin/some type of Cisco path one day, Resume

Name Here
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    addr
    addr
    Home Phone (k
    Email here

Skills: Extensive knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Windows (95, 98, 2000, Me, XP). IT technician with 5 years of experience in offering both in person and over the phone technical support for laptops, hardware or software upgrades, and creating wireless home networks. Building and also, repairing existing computer hardware and networks. Previous experience with Cisco routers/switches, such as performing lab type simulations, configuring home lab (with different varieties of routers and switches).

Experience
    June 2004-Present
     Customer Service Representative, CIGNA Healthcare
    Answer in-bound phone calls from Medicare providers and beneficiaries, assisting with various issues.
     Using proprietary call logging software to monitor and document all calls that come in, are handled and responded to in a satisfactory amount of time. Also handled the monitoring of this software to ensure all other representatives using it, were processing calls appropriately.
     Assisting supervisor with daily functions, including making callbacks which representatives may have escalated, assisting with job improvement processes or making sure other representative have the information needed to perform daily functions.
     Provided a written response to inquiries made by providers and beneficiaries, either by e-mail or through standard paper mail.
     Mentoring other customer service representatives on using various pieces of software, and daily job functions.
     Work extensively within provider contact center acting as individual help desk. This function involved training, assisting, and mentoring individuals on MCS program (proprietary software).
     Providing assistance to other representative when having hardware/software problems, such as, software updates, general software inquiries on Microsoft office tools, physical hardware problems.

June 2003-June 2004
    Customer Service Representative, RMH Tele-services
     Answer inbound phone calls for UPS, providing real time updates for customers shipping or receiving packages.
     Scheduled packages to be shipped, giving technical support for www.ups.com or directions on using the site, report any lost or damaged packages, give directions to nearest facility, or any other inquiry they may have.
     Sitting side by side with other CSRs to offer feedback to improve their quality.
     Tracking calls, documenting the solutions, providing any additional follow-up or escalation if needed.

October 1999-December 2003
    Client/Technical Support, Bellomy Research
     Answering inbound calls for the website www.ticketreturn.com and giving support for the site, processing and finalizing the ticket transaction process.
     Also assist these callers providing technical support when unable to view our website.
     Tracking calls, documenting solutions, escalating calls if necessary using proprietary software.
     Also assisted deploying new desktops and moving old system to net locations within the network.
     Live quality monitoring of other representatives, including scoring calls conducted, and providing feedback on how to improve their calls.
     Assist supervisor with daily functions such as preparing documents for finished jobs, helping other CSRs, and monitoring job progress.
     Using Remote Desktop feature of Windows to connect and remotely help fellow co-workers.

Certifications:
    A+, Network+, CCNA

I think my skill section looks sloppy. Gotten alot of C/Bs, even 4 or 5 interviews, but only 2-3 offers so far all crappy shifts. icon_sad.gif
    70-291 Next....
  • brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Still stuck in the "no experience, no job" cycle.

Looking for entry level job.

Went to a tech school for my A+, did Net+ and 70-270 on my own. School is too expensive. Did some volunteer work building PCs while studying for A+. Worked for a company for 5 months running/troubleshooting cat 5 cable, installing Cisco switches and desktop systems. Do all the hands on exercises from the books in my basement. Did a little PC repair type stuff on my own for friends and friends of friends.

Familiar with Office Suite apps. Have put together a couple of personal websites using Notepad/HTML, FrontPage and Dreamweaver.

65 college credits, GPA 3.56, no degree. Would love to have a degree but if that happens it will be when I get a good enough job to pay for it or an employer pays for it.

Currently studying for 70-290. Plan on doing CCNA after MCSA. After that, whatever. One thing that attracts me to this field is that there is always something new to learn.

Have had a few interviews, a couple of which I really thought I was well qualified for and really wanted. They didn't see it the same way.

I am a fast learner, very conscientious worker, get along great with people.

Would getting the MCDST cert. help with getting an entry level job? I don't want to pay for something that won't help.

Currently in a low paying, dead end non-IT job, living from month to month, struggling just trying to keep a roof over our heads and need to move on ASAP.

That's about it.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Any help is appreciated, I really want to become a network admin/some type of Cisco path one day, Resume

Name Here
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    addr
    addr
    Home Phone (k
    Email here

Skills: Extensive knowledge of computer software, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Windows (95, 98, 2000, Me, XP). IT technician with 5 years of experience in offering both in person and over the phone technical support for laptops, hardware or software upgrades, and creating wireless home networks. Building and also, repairing existing computer hardware and networks. Previous experience with Cisco routers/switches, such as performing lab type simulations, configuring home lab (with different varieties of routers and switches).

Experience
    June 2004-Present
     Customer Service Representative, CIGNA Healthcare
    Answer in-bound phone calls from Medicare providers and beneficiaries, assisting with various issues.
     Using proprietary call logging software to monitor and document all calls that come in, are handled and responded to in a satisfactory amount of time. Also handled the monitoring of this software to ensure all other representatives using it, were processing calls appropriately.
     Assisting supervisor with daily functions, including making callbacks which representatives may have escalated, assisting with job improvement processes or making sure other representative have the information needed to perform daily functions.
     Provided a written response to inquiries made by providers and beneficiaries, either by e-mail or through standard paper mail.
     Mentoring other customer service representatives on using various pieces of software, and daily job functions.
     Work extensively within provider contact center acting as individual help desk. This function involved training, assisting, and mentoring individuals on MCS program (proprietary software).
     Providing assistance to other representative when having hardware/software problems, such as, software updates, general software inquiries on Microsoft office tools, physical hardware problems.

June 2003-June 2004
    Customer Service Representative, RMH Tele-services
     Answer inbound phone calls for UPS, providing real time updates for customers shipping or receiving packages.
     Scheduled packages to be shipped, giving technical support for www.ups.com or directions on using the site, report any lost or damaged packages, give directions to nearest facility, or any other inquiry they may have.
     Sitting side by side with other CSRs to offer feedback to improve their quality.
     Tracking calls, documenting the solutions, providing any additional follow-up or escalation if needed.

October 1999-December 2003
    Client/Technical Support, Bellomy Research
     Answering inbound calls for the website www.ticketreturn.com and giving support for the site, processing and finalizing the ticket transaction process.
     Also assist these callers providing technical support when unable to view our website.
     Tracking calls, documenting solutions, escalating calls if necessary using proprietary software.
     Also assisted deploying new desktops and moving old system to net locations within the network.
     Live quality monitoring of other representatives, including scoring calls conducted, and providing feedback on how to improve their calls.
     Assist supervisor with daily functions such as preparing documents for finished jobs, helping other CSRs, and monitoring job progress.
     Using Remote Desktop feature of Windows to connect and remotely help fellow co-workers.

Certifications:
    A+, Network+, CCNA

I think my skill section looks sloppy. Gotten alot of C/Bs, even 4 or 5 interviews, but only 2-3 offers so far all crappy shifts. icon_sad.gif

Yuor riught your Skills section is sloppy I'd make it iton bullet points this is what I did

Techincal Skills
    windows Xp
    Windows 2000
    windows server2003

only listing technical stuff like apps i know programming languages etc

Soft skills (or interperonal skills)
    - fast leaner
    - polite
    - dedicated

basically anytihng you are that wolud make someone hire

in a resume short in brief is key.... paragraphs will; get you looked over....no one woh has 100 resumes+ on thier desk wants to read a paragraph... they will probalby scan it and might miss key info

I also have a seperate section for Certs mine looks like this

Certifacations

Comptia A+ Technicain
    Comtia Network+ Technicain
    Micrsoft Certified Profesional in windows XP
    Microsoft Certifed Profesional in Windows Server 2003

I think it looks better than A+,Net+, MCP

I actually put the exam titles for the MCP but I'm too lazy ot look em up right now

your resume atleast initally will probably be scanned by software( if submited electronically

then rescanned for keywords by a person

then someone will actually really read it to see if they want to interview you

you have to make it easy for them to find your skills that match their position or they might throw you in the other pile
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292

Wizard, your computer skills get lost in that resume. You have 5 years experience with support, you'll want to focus on that. By the time an employer who has to trudge through 200 resumes gets to yours, he probably won't make it through the first section.

Be crisp and concise. Nothing too long. They need to glance over your resume and see your experience. You're experience is really suited well for a help desk position or deployment. I suggest listing your experience seperate from the companies where you worked. This way you can highlight your tech support experience first in your resume and then later you can just list the companies and the years that you worked there.

Tracking calls and documenting solutions is fine. Change "using proprietary software" to something like 'in the database' or 'helpdesk application' You don't have to expound on that until they get you in the door. Add a bit more to deployment and you have a typo where you typed "net" instead of "new". Change moved to redeployed.

Hope this helps a bit.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
    briangl wrote:
    Still stuck in the "no experience, no job" cycle.

Looking for entry level job.

65 college credits, GPA 3.56, no degree. Would love to have a degree but if that happens it will be when I get a good enough job to pay for it or an employer pays for it.

Would getting the MCDST cert. help with getting an entry level job? I don't want to pay for something that won't help.

Brian,
    65 credits is almost an Associates Degree. I highly suggest taking the handful of classes that you would require for the degree. It will be worth the time and money. Don't wait until you get a good enough job, because you will lose the incentive to go back to school.

What I am seeing in your post is a lack of motivation. This is a challenge in many people whose lives are ok, but not great. You fall short in education and experience, and only good old hard work and effort is going to get you where you ultimately want to be.

Of course, you can always hold out for luck, like some people do, but you'll end up squandering oppourtunties and never show the initiative to garner the attention of the people who could help you get ahead.

Motivation will not magically appear when you finally get the job you want. Take a serious look at yourself and what you are willing to do. If you're the type of person who spends alot of time playing online games and not alot of time sharpening your skills, I don't think you'll ever be satisfied with what you end up getting. The money excuse for college is just lame - there are plenty of places that will give you a loan. If you're really poor, you'll also find scads of free money.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • boatguy1982boatguy1982 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey I like online games....

Ok but seriously here is my "current" resume. Btw it looks alot better in word format. But this is the general jist of it.

OBJECTIVE: Computer Field

AREAS OF
    EXPERTISE: Computer Repair Microsoft Applications PC Hardware
    Windows XP Server 2003 Active Directory
    DHCP DNS Routing
    Routers and Switches 802.3/Ethernet VLAN
    Group Policy Objects User management

EXPERIENCE: Computer Technician
    Software:
     Installed Windows 2000 Professional on multiple systems.
     Implemented and configured Windows XP Operating System on Workgroups and Domains
     Maintained Server 2003 and Active Directory
     Drafted multiple documents with Microsoft Office Applications
     Coordinated computer support through remote assistance and remote desktop
    Hardware:
     Familiarized with all forms of PC hardware with over 400 hours of training and 200 hours of hands on experience
     Maintained and troubleshot PC Peripherals such as Printers and scanners in a Network based environment.
     Designed over 100 personal computers and repaired over 300 personal computers
     Experienced with motherboard level technologies to include BIOS and Boot up operations
    Server 2003:
     .Implemented Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Servers in Server 2003
     Established Dynamic Naming System Servers in Server 2003
     Administered Active Directory user and group profiles
    Network:
     Installed Routers, Switches, and network mediums (Ethernet, Fiber, and Coaxial)
     Experienced with Switch wiring
     Constructed Network architecture and topologies
     Demonstrated knowledge of all network protocols and standards
    Leadership and Work Skills:
     5 years of dependable and honorable service in the US Military
     4 years supervisory experience of over 15 personnel
     Able to work efficiently in both group and individual situations
     Proven ability to communicate effectively in diverse environments
     Able to make difficult decisions in stressful situations
     Awarded good conduct medal for the past five years of employment
    EDUCATION:
    Aug 1996-Jul 2000 Mirabeau B. Lamar Senior High School, Houston, TX.
    May 2005- Current 140 Quarter Units towards Bachelors Degree in Information Technology management with
    expected degree completion Jun 2007
    Oct 2005- Jun 2006 Thompson/Que MCSE Training Course

CERTIFICATIONS:
    Licenses: Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
    Clearances: Inquire
    Hey I like online games....

There's nothing wrong with online games. I have students in my class who tell each other that they played World of Warcrack all weekend and then later tell me that they just didn't have the time to finish their assignment on time.

Are you still in school? If you are not currently in school, an employer might want to know why you didn't finish your degree. If you have an associates degree and currently enrolled, you might just want to put down the current degree instead of running the risk of explaining why you never finished your 4 year degree.

For your 2000 and XP experience, you might want to say "Installation, configuration, and support of Windows XP and Windows 2000"

Instead of "Maintained Server 2003 and Active Directory" you can write "Windows 2003 Server Active Directory Administration".

"Experienced with motherboard level technologies to include BIOS and Boot up operations" If the job you are applying for doesn't specifically ask for this, you might want to cut it.

For the DHCP and dynamic naming area, you might want to simplify that with DHCP, WINS, and DNS administration.

Network: Design, installation, configuration, and maintenance of layer 2 and layer 3 networking - including Cisco (put every cisco device you ever touched right here)

Not bad overall. If I was looking for a network guy, I'd put you in the consider pile.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the advice, I am currently working on my degree and I expect to have it finished in June 2007. I will make those changes you suggested, and I will dig in my brain cavity to remember what routers and switches I have worked on :).

Once again, thanks for the advice. Btw how much effect do soft skills have in resume review? I have exceptional teamwork skills and a constant desire to learn as noted in my many letters of recommendation from my previous employers and teachers.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Btw how much effect do soft skills have in resume review? I have exceptional teamwork skills and a constant desire to learn as noted in my many letters of recommendation from my previous employers and teachers.

Phil, I'm big on soft skills, as is my current boss. In fact, my current boss seemed as interested in what I did outside of work as what I did at work. Site a couple of examples, since everyone puts 'excellent communication skills'. Things like 'led a team of ...' , 'prepared reports for ...', 'acted as a liason ...' etc
    Also what is your view on sports and community service. I wrestled for the Navy Wrestling team, ompleted SEAL/UDT Indoc course, and I was the treasure for the Second Class Petty Officers association.

Additonally, I did alot of community service with my church and neighborhood.
    Also what is your view on sports and community service. I wrestled for the Navy Wrestling team, ompleted SEAL/UDT Indoc course, and I was the treasure for the Second Class Petty Officers association.

Additonally, I did alot of community service with my church and neighborhood.

Well, I live in the Bible Belt, so church membership is a big thing here. I think it was what sealed the deal at my current job. All that stuff can make a difference and separate you from a plain resume. If your new boss was navy or a wrestler that may also get your resume noticed. I know for me, if anyone said that they played hockey or coached a kids hockey team, I'd at least read their entire resume. Be careful, not too much info - you can bring other stuff up in the interview. Choose a few choice items, but remember to keep your resume short - less than a page if you can help it.

I can see where some underwater demolition might be useful icon_mrgreen.gif
  • thealphathealpha Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    briangl: You should look into employers that offer college credit reinbursement programs, tech related or not. I believe Home Depot and Lowe's offer full reinbursement, and you may not even have to be full time. I currently work for Best Buy as a technician and they offer a $3500/year if your full time. Find a employer you can abuse, get what you want, and then quit.
  • brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Find a employer you can abuse, get what you want, and then quit.

That put a smile on my face. I wouldn't think of it in those terms, but yes, tuition reimbursement would be great.
    What I am seeing in your post is a lack of motivation.

It's actually motivation that keeps me studying everyday and night.
    If you're the type of person who spends alot of time playing online games and not alot of time sharpening your skills...

No time for games.

If there is one thing I spend too much time doing, it is reading on this forum. But, it helps me to feel conected to all of this and keep me motivated.
    The money excuse for college is just lame...

I will accept that as a sincere statement, but none of this helps me now. What I have done so far should be enough for an entry level job.

One computer shop I interviewed with had me come in three separate times, once to talk with the manager, once to talk with the owner, once to diagnose some systems customers had brought in. They really had my hopes up. I didn't hear from them, so I called about a week later, the manager wasn't available so I asked for him to call me back, he didn't. A couple of days later I called again, left a message for him to call me back, he didn't. That was that. How F'ing rude and downright disrespectful.
  • RuniuRuniu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My resume:

Education

2005 - 2006

2001 - 2006 Cisco CCNA Academy in Lodz

The Technical University in Kielce
    Major: Electrotechnics
    Specialization: Computer systems

1997 - 2001
    High School in Końskie
    Specialization: Information Technology

Experience:

IV 2006 – X 2006 Junior Team Member of PC Helpdesk/Support in “ComArch”(Cracov)
    responsibilities:
    - PC Installation, Configuration and Maintenance
    - Printer installation and troubleshooting
    - TCP/IP and Evaluating new hardware
    - Software Installation and I.T. equipment management
    - Troubleshooting, Configuration and Maintenance LAN with 30 PC users (CISCO Routers and Switches)

VII 2005 - IX 2005
    Computer technician in “ASCOM Service” (Kielce), responsibilities:
    - building new computers
    - fixing, repairing , upgrading existing computers
    - installing new software and OS
    - building simple LAN

VI 2004 - X 2004 Summer Work Experience USA Program (Norfolk, Virginia, USA), worked as a van driver

Skills:

Languages
    Polish: native
    English: intermediate in speaking and writing
    German: basic, comunication level

IT Experience
    Software: MsOffice, Zone Alarm, Kerio Firewall, Opera, Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Ad-aware
    Hardware: upgrade, replace of PC’s components
    Internet, EIGRP, OSPF, RIP, RIPv2, STP, VLAN
    Cisco Routers and Switches

Additional Driving licence (1999), 7 years driving experience (including 3 years van driving experience)

Interests:
    Football, swimming, fishing, computer’s games

Future plans:
    I’m going to pass CCNA Certificate exam. After that I’m going to improve my skills to CCNP Certificate and two Microsoft Certificates: MCSA and MCSE
    Runiu - solid experience. The only thing that I suggest is putting your experience before your education and removing computer games from interests.

Your experience is a good base for moving to networking. This is where getting certifications will really pay off.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • RuniuRuniu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks

But I'm not sure it's solid experience...
    I was doing simple things...like installing new os, upgrade some hardware etc.
    I was hired as a junior assistant so I think I need much more experience...
    Runiu wrote:
    Thanks

But I'm not sure it's solid experience...
    I was doing simple things...like installing new os, upgrade some hardware etc.
    I was hired as a junior assistant so I think I need much more experience...

There is a huge difference between no experience and 1 year. It may not be as much as you like, but at least you've been working in the field.
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    My Resume

Objective Desire a position utilizing organizational, interpersonal and technical skills, Particular interest in Systems and / or Database Management.

Qualification o Bsc. Computing & Information Technology,
    o Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), MCSA (one exam pending).
    o CompTIA A+, Network+.
    o Computer Service Technician (ETA), Certified Network Systems Technician (ETA).

Education
    Presently:
    • Pursuing IT Certification in MCSE and MCDBA.
    2000 – 2004 University Of Technology, Jamaica
    • Bachelor of Science in Computing & Information Technology.

IT Skills: Software Application (Office Suite): Microsoft Word, Access, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Publisher.
    DB Application: SQL Server.
    Programming: Visual Basic 6, ASP, HTML and VBScript.
    Systems / Network Administration.

Job Experience:
    June 2005 – Present, PAIDS Program (KPAIDS)
    Position: Database / Systems Manager
    Duties:
    1. Database (MS access and SQL Server) / Systems (Windows 2000, XP, Server) Administration
    2. Advance Data Analysis (Using Microsoft excel).
    3. Web Development (ASP,HTML using Dreamweaver)
    4. Designing Scientific Poster
    5. VBA Programming

2005 – March 2005, Microbridge Software Associates
    Account Executive (Technical) Contracted.
    1. Installing and updating software, Software Training.
    2. Systems maintenance and troubleshooting.

March – April 2005, Electoral Office Of Jamaica (EOJ)
    Computer Technician. (Contracted)
    1. Installing, maintaining and troubleshooting IBM workstations.
    2. Installing and configuring the new electronic voting system's software.
    3. Oversee proper working conditions of the electronic voting systems during the By-Election.

Summer 2000 – 2002, Bank Of Nova Scotia
    Customer Service/Data entry. (Summer Job)
    stonecold26.jpg
    elover - your education covers a pretty wide range - tech, admin, database, and programmer. You can either specialize in one with a larger company or use them all in a smaller situation. It's a good base to step off in many directions. If you were shopping for an entry level admin position, education in all of those areas definately makes a difference.
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    deneb829 wrote:
    elover - your education covers a pretty wide range - tech, admin, database, and programmer. You can either specialize in one with a larger company or use them all in a smaller situation. It's a good base to step off in many directions. If you were shopping for an entry level admin position, education in all of those areas definitely makes a difference.

thx man.....

well i currently work for a small organization tht is why i'm prob doing all of those stuff... but i want a new job as a Systems for a a bit more lager organisation so i can get some real core system Admin Experience.

i'm pretty much bored where i'm at right now as there is nothing much to do but to help em out with there's data entry (SUXS) and database reporting.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I would be grateful for any advice. Loking to go beyond help desk either in security or network administration

Professional Profile
    Proven IT professional with over 15 years of Customer Service experience. Multi-tasker comfortable in fast-paced environment where priorities shift rapidly. Provide leadership or contribute as member of a team. Demonstrated ability to interview and investigate in order to assist users of all levels of technical knowledge. Recognized for professional manner in communicating and training. Consulted, developed and launched web site for recently published author. Actively seeking MCSA and Security+ certification.

Education
    1/06 –present Colorado Technical University Colorado Springs, CO
     Masters of Science in Management –Information Systems Security
     Expected completion date March 2007 Current GPA: 3.7
    6/03-09/05 ECPI College of Technology Charlotte, NC
     Associates of Science in IT Network Security Management
     Overall GPA: 3.96 GPA in Major: 4.0
    9/88-5/93 Saint Andrew’s Presbyterian College Laurinburg, NC
     Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
     Held several positions in student government

Current Employment
    June 2005 Desktop Support Analyst
    Support for over 250 in-house and remote users including desktop and laptop hardware, MS operating systems and office suites, Lotus Notes, mainframe applications, printer and fax support. Network support using Tivoli for back-ups and Altiris Deployment Console for patch management, remote access, job distribution and inventory control. Larger projects have included computer refresh projects and conversion to Active Directory domain. Recently managed projects to support/install IT needs in new remote offices.

April 2004 . Support Desk Technician
    Provide technical and networking assistance to over 100 hospitals, medical transcription companies and their IT departments. Provide technical support for users in regards to installation and configuration of software including all current versions of Windows OS and Word as well as proprietary software. Utilize tools such as UltraVNC, PCanywhere and HelpAlert to monitor 60+ servers. Proficient using Access and Oracle as well as using SQLplus to retrieve, delete and update the information within these databases.
    Computer Skills
    Microsoft Operating Systems- 2000 Pro, XP Home, XP Pro, 2000 Server, 2003 Server
    Utilize a variety of third party tools including Ghost Disk, PE Builder for imaging and maintenance
    Build and upgrade systems
    Microsoft Office Products- Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook, Outlook Express
    Altiris Deployment Console, Remedy, Track-It, pcAnywhere, UltraVNC
    Lotus Notes, Norton Enterprise Server
    Knowledge of Linux and Novell operating systems

Work History
    1/01- 4/04 O’Charley’s Inc. Assistant Manager
    7/98-1/01 Darden Restaurants Culinary Manager

Military
    10/86-10/88 United States Army Battalion Ammunition Clerk Ft. Riley, KS Awarded Army Achievement Medal for developing WordPerfect macro implemented throughout the post.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
    Wow! That's a load of stuff merry. You really should not have any problems getting a job with a Masters in Information Systems Security. Get your CISSP and a government clearance (if you already don't have one through your military experience) and you should get scooped up pretty quick - be prepared to travel for your interviews and relocate. In an interview, your current job is what you did while you worked your way through school.

A couple of months ago, I was talking with an ex-military techie in a bookstore. He said with his clearance, he was told if he got his CISSP that he would be offered a job in the middle east as a military contractor for close to a $100K/yr. You don't have to go overseas, but consider contracting in the government sector.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    hey deneb829, you have really helpful comments, care to take a look please?

[Name]
    [Address]
    [Contact Information]

A position in Technical Support, or Network/System Administration where skills in Computer Science and networking can be applied to accomplish upgrade, installation, support and maintenance responsibilities

Skills & Capabilities
    Quick learner with excellent problem solving skills, and analytical thinking
    Proficient knowledge and hands-on experience with Microsoft Office, and Microsoft Windows OS
    Excellent verbal and written communication skills including technical writing in English and Chinese
    Strong background in customer service, self-motivated and a team player

Training & Certification
    Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician(MCDST)
    Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP)
    CompTIA A+® Certified Professional
    CompTIA Network+® Certified Professional
    ETA Computer Service Technician (CST)
    ETA Certified Network Systems Technician (CNST)

Education
    Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) - September 2003-Present
    Successfully completed 3 of 4 years Honours Degree
    Expecting to graduate in Summer 2007
    Major in Computer Science, Specialization in Management Science.

Elective Specialties
    Operating Systems, Networks and Distributed Systems
    Computer Hardware (architecture, design, and logic)

Core Subjects
    Object Oriented Programming and Design
    Software Engineering
    Database Systems
    Organization Design and Dynamic

Employment Experience
    Database Analyst - September 2006-Present
    Develop SQL queries to retrive and update contact information
    Maintain database quality and accuracy

Customer Service Representative - November 2005-August 2006
    Managed online and telephone orders for E-commerce, Point-of-Sale (POS) and shipping procedures
    Processed support and warranty requests including Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA)

Computer Technician - September 2004-March 2006
    Diagnosed problematic computer systems and provided solutions
    Problem solved hardware complications involving component conflicts and incompatibilities
    Assembled customized computer systems
    Demonstrated features and functionalities of computer parts

Sales & Marketing Representative - June 2004-August 2004
    Promoted and sold gas price protection plans
    Presented the features and services of Direct Energy Home Services
    Addressed concerns and clarified confusions about the company and the services

Manager - June 2000-August 2003
    Pioneered advertisement and marketing plans to increase market exposure
    Organized and prepared restaurant paper work
    Administrated inventory and control counts
    Coordinated floor duties and supervised staff to improve service
    Scheduled staff allocations and rotations

Computer Skills
    System Administration: Windows NT/Server, Internet Information Services, Unix/Linux, Samba, Shell, NAT, DNS, POP/SMTP/HTTP/FTP and others
    Operating Systems: Windows 9x/2000/XP/Server, DOS, Linux, UNIX, Windows Mobile 2003 SE, Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0, Palm OS
    Database: SQL, Microsoft Access, DB2, MySQL, phpMyAdmin
    Web Development: HTML, XHTML, JavaScript, PHP, Perl/CGI, SSI, AJAX, FrontPage, and others
    Programming: C/C++, Java, Visual Basic (6, .NET), X-Windows, Delphi, Pascal, Intel Assembly, WML/WAP, and others

Volunteer Experience
    Summer Camp Volunteer - July 2005-Present
    Tutored English, Mathematics, and Science in grades 4, 6-8 classes
    Assisted with outdoor activities, and field trips
    Responsible for lunch monitor duty

Interests
    Online discussion boards and forums, action movies, history, sci-fi novels, car magazines, swimming, biking, camping, and fishing
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    BHS - that's a pretty big resume for your experience. You might want to trim it down to one page (if it's not already there). You definatley come off more looking like a programmer/DBA than a person looking for a network position - not that it's bad if that is the kind of work you are looking for. You may want to put the more relevant things for the type of job you are looking for towards the top of your resume.

It seems like you may need to get your foot in the door as a tech before you get the chance to do much networking. Getting into a smaller company will give you exposure to a wide range of duties that will turn into real experience.

Under the Volunteer experience, you may want to change that heading to interests then add 'volunteer work' - you can give more detail at an interview. Did you tutor those grade levels or when you were in those grades. If it was when you were in those grades you may just want to say that you have been a tutor. Assisted with outdoor activities can just be 'enjoys outdoor activities'. Lunch monitor duty is a noble job and speaks volumes to an image an employer might make of you in his mind - which can be positive or negative. You might want to leave that out, especially if you are pressed for space.

Looks like you have a solid educational foundation. Your certifications are important, but at this point, you will get the most mileage out of your degree. Go to some career fares and find out who is looking for technical people right out of college.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Thanks, good point about programmer/database...I never considered that...
    deneb829 wrote:
    Under the Volunteer experience, you may want to change that heading to interests then add 'volunteer work' - you can give more detail at an interview. Did you tutor those grade levels or when you were in those grades. If it was when you were in those grades you may just want to say that you have been a tutor.

I can see how I could better present the info in that section...but if I was in grade 4 in 2005, and I started my b.sc in 2003, that means I was in grade 2, ie. 7 years old.... :oicon_lol.gif I tutored those grade levels....

the one page thing...I dont know...I've had relatively good feedback when this resume is on paper...but electronic version hasnt been that rewarding...I'll consider all of your comments.

Again, thanks a bunch~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Thanks for the encouragement Deneb. My primary problem is getting that first job in security so that I can get my CISSP. That is my final goal. With only two years of help desk experience I seem to attract only help desk positions. Currently my hope is to get a help desk position in a company that can lead to a security position.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Indeed there is excellent advice being given. I too would appreciate any insight others might care to give. My biggest problem is that while I get a fair amount of interest locally, my wife has eccepted a job in WI and I am not having any luck getting interest from there.

my resume:

Name, Name
    Address
    Home phone, Mobile phone
    Email address

Objective: To Pursue an exciting, challenging, and rewarding career in the IT field while gaining the knowledge, experience and skill to move into a management role.

Certifications:
    Microsoft: MCSA, MCP for Windows 2000
    CompTIA: Network+, A+

Employment:
    May 2003 to Present Great Plains Mfg, Inc. – Salina, KS
    *PC Systems Specialist.
    ·Install servers, switches, and hubs
    ·Configure, install, and secure Wireless LANS
    ·Maintain and troubleshoot WLAN’s and LAN’s
    ·Installed four point to point wireless links eliminating to need to lease lines
    ·Install network drops and cabling
    ·Build and install new PC’s / laptops
    ·Maintain and repair current PC’s / laptops in use
    ·Upgrade and replace PC’s / laptops according to guidelines
    ·Installed disc duplication system saving $$$ in advertising and marketing costs
    ·Provide support to 350 local, remote and national end users
    ·Install phones, phone jacks and lines
    ·Install and maintain time clocks
    ·Special projects as requested

Mar. 2002 to Salina Regional Health Center – Salina, KS
    Dec. 2005*Help Desk Administrator
    ·Staff Help desk during non traditional business hours to provide techinical support, troubleshoot and solve problems
    ·Routine monitoring of file server room equipment
    ·Maintain operating systems, hardware and applications
    ·Escalation of help desk calls for mission critical situations
    ·Data entry of hospital charges
    ·Print and distribute reports
    ·Wrote new and edited existing procedures
    ·Assist Networking as needed
    ·Maintain professional growth and development

Education:
    University of North Dakota Aug. 1988 to Dec. 1990

Kansas State University Jan. 2001 to May 2001

Brown Mackie College July 2001 to Dec. 2001

Activities:
    Christ the King - Parish President, Cub Scout Den Leader, Youth Sports Coach

Thanks in advance.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
    drainey, I had the same problem when I moved from Arizona to NY some years back. Most tech places seem to prefer to hire technicians locally. I couldn't find a job until after I moved. When I moved from California to Florida, I had network experience and was hired as a network engineer via a phone interview.

You may have to send out a bunch of resumes with your new address and phone number as soon as you move. You've got almost 5 years as tech/help desk experience, I'd be surprised if you couldn't be employed quickly once you moved. It may be too early to apply for any serious networking jobs with your experience - go ahead and try, you might get a callback, but don't bank on it to the exclusion of tech/help desk jobs, or you might find yourself unemployed to longer than you want.

Your objective of a management role is really outside the scope of what you are applying and will likely will conflict with any network admin aspirations. If you are serious about management, a 4 year degree will make a huge difference (if you don't have one) also, unless you are applying for a management position, I would hide my management aspirations, you may come off as a threat to those who are hiring you. There is alot more politics at the management level, if you really want to be a manager, I seriously recommend watching Star Wars Episodes I - III and see how Palpatine becomes emperor. I know this may seem funny, but I am serious. Obtaining a management role will have you competing against someone, if not many. Make lots of friends, be political, and brown nose. When the chance presents itself, make your move. When given the management role, act shocked, surprised, and honored.

I respect the need for management and enjoy working for a good one. My department manager likely could not set up or manage a large network, but that is not his job and why he hires people who can. He runs a solid department and often goes to bat for us. Managers are looked down upon by some employees because they often don't have the same technical skills as the people working for them - which is unfortunate - people like that feel like they could run the department better, but it is their very attitude that would make them poor managers - be clear on why you want to become a manager. Once you're in the role, you will do less hand on work and more paperwork and budgets. It is my experience that most techs make lousy managers. I've seen too many techs promoted because they are great techs only to flounder as managers. Take an example of Wayne Gretzky - the greatest hockey player of all time - he is doing poorly as a coach and his team is one of the worst in the league.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    deneb829;

Thanks alot. Actually management is a far ranging goal and that is a good idea to remove it. And while my main goal at this point is to get into networking I definitely am not looking past help desk/support jobs. In fact I have applied for quite a few with only one taker and that one quickly passed once we started talking salary. Of course that was early on in the job hunt process. If I had known how difficult it would be to find a job from across the country I would have been more careful about dancing around the salary requirements. Any way you've been very helpful and confirmed my suspision that distance is playing a large role in my job hunt. I feel much more confident about my chances once the move is complete.

Thanks again,
    Dave
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
    This is the revision of my resume from all of the advice I have recieved on this site. Thank you for all the advice and do not hesitate with the critique thanks.

-Phil

OBJECTIVE: To utilize my education and work experience with Network and Computer Technology to become a junior network engineer or administrator.

EXPERIENCE: Computer Technician
    Software:
     Installation, configuration, and support of Windows XP and Windows 2000
     Implemented and configured Windows XP Operating System Users and Computers in Active Directory
     Maintained Server 2003 and Active Directory
     Drafted multiple documents with Microsoft Office Applications
     Coordinated computer support through remote assistance and remote desktop
    Hardware:
     Familiarized with all forms of PC hardware with over 400 hours of training and 200 hours of hands on experience
     Maintained and troubleshot PC Peripherals such as Printers and scanners in a Network based environment.
     Designed over 100 personal computers and repaired over 300 personal computers
     Experienced with motherboard level technologies to include BIOS and Boot up operations
    Server 2003:
     Installed and configured Server 2003
     Administered Active Directory user and group profiles
     Administration of DHCP, WINS, and DNS Servers
    Network:
     Design, installation, configuration, and maintenance of layer 2 and layer 3 networking - including Cisco 2501, 2610, 2620.
     Experienced with Switch wiring (Ethernet, Fiber, and Coaxial)
     Constructed Network architecture and topologies
     Demonstrated knowledge of all network protocols and standards
    Leadership and Work Skills:
     5 years of dependable and honorable service in the US Military
     4 years supervisory experience of over 15 personnel
     Able to work efficiently in both group and individual situations
     Proven ability to communicate effectively in diverse environments
     Able to make difficult decisions in stressful situations
     Awarded good conduct medal for the past five years of employment

EDUCATION:
    Aug 1996-Jul 2000 Mirabeau B. Lamar Senior High School, Houston, TX.
    May 2005- Current 140 Quarter Units towards Bachelors Degree in Information Technology management with (expected degree completion Jun 2007)
    Oct 2005- Jun 2006 Thompson/Que MCSE Training Course
    Nov 2006 NETG A+ Certification Course

CERTIFICATIONS:
    Licenses: Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
    Clearances: Inquire (does this sound better?)