What are the differences.... (TCP/IP Illustrated Book)

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I have heard a great read on TCP/IP is the book: "TCP/IP Illustrated" (I already read Comer's book as well)

Okay so I thought I bought the right book: (I am about 60% through the book)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9332535957/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I was doing some browsing on Amazon and found the same book???

https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Illustrated-Protocols-Addison-Wesley-Professional/dp/0321336313/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0321336313&pd_rd_r=B5NF5YQ1C000GJBSJ9D2&pd_rd_w=YllBp&pd_rd_wg=WuHjY&psc=1&refRID=B5NF5YQ1C000GJBSJ9D2

So what is the difference? I see maybe the one I bought is a possible refresh? (2014 publishing date)

I really hope I haven't read 600 pages so far and should have been reading elsewhere...
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The first one appears to be an international edition. The second looks to be US.

I think it's cool that these books are still being sold. I always get a nostalgic when I see books with Rich Stevens name.
  • darkestclowndarkestclown Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read Comer's and Steven's Books way, way back and they give you a great understanding of the depth required if you really want to master the trade. I actually read them before any CCNA Book!
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Is the updated version as bad as the reviews suggest?
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »
    Is the updated version as bad as the reviews suggest?
    If you're worried about the writing style, get the first edition. Still quality info you won't find elsewhere outside of the RFCs.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've also read a lot of bad things about the SE version of Volume 1. Would be curious to see what others on here recommend.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess I must have originally confused the books versions / etc. Now I am thinking I might buy the 1st edition to see how it compares. Based on the reviews it seems the 1st edition might be the better buy.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    If you're worried about the writing style, get the first edition. Still quality info you won't find elsewhere outside of the RFCs.

Well have you read the updated version? I would be interested in checking out one or the other. I am assuming the updated version has more current/of use info but I'm curious if that outweighs the issues with the current edition
    Amazon reviews are always sketchy though so I was hoping some people here might have read both.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »
    Well have you read the updated version? I would be interested in checking out one or the other. I am assuming the updated version has more current/of use info but I'm curious if that outweighs the issues with the current edition Amazon reviews are always sketchy though so I was hoping some people here might have read both.
    Yes, I have the second edition. I didn't have a problem with the writing style, and there are things that have been edited/updated. If I were you, just buy the second edition. The first edition you can find online.

Example one: http://www.cs.newpaltz.edu/~pletcha/NET_PY/the-protocols-tcp-ip-illustrated-volume-1.9780201633467.24290.pdf
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've read about 600 pages into the 2nd edition. I spend some time reading the reviews of the book last night. I can agree, the writing style is tough. I bought the book thinking "illustrated" there must be some good diagrams, pictures, or illustrative representations and I don't get that vibe from the book at all. Many reviews indicate the writing style is extremely long winded and overly wordy. I can't agree more.

I have the 1st edition in shipping route now. I will still finish the 2nd but from others experiences it seems the 1st is better. I will respond back with some feed back once I get deeper into reading the 1st.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also just grabbed the first edition it's also enroute. Personally I bought the 2nd edition many moons ago but never ended up reading due to being so newbie at the time. I ended up just on selling it. Very interested to see how good this book is, hopefully be using it for CCNP prep.