Any TE members in Los Angeles? I'm gonig there on vacation soon, let's meet up.

CardboardCardboard Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm going to be in L.A. the last week of April and the first few days of May. Around the city and southern SFV, going here, going there, sightseeing, etc. Are any members from this site in that general area? I was thinking we could meet up, as some sort of pre-interview, and once I can move out to L.A. permanently, maybe we can work together to help me get a few interviews. I'd primarily be looking for these sorts of jobs: 1. Retired lottery multimillionaire 2. Data Center Technician 3. NOC Analyst 4. Junior Network Admin 5. Some combination of 2,3, and 4. I have my CCNA R&S already, and 5+ years senior desktop support experience. I've done freelance IT work, contract IT assignments, and have been into data centers for gear changes, installations, NetApp upgrades, and have done some network troubleshooting. Here in my area, any decent IT jobs higher than desktop support are damn tough to come by. So if anyone is in that area, and is experienced in IT enough to aid me with some solid IT advice and interview possibilities, it would be much appreciated. Even if I haven't fully moved back to the area yet, that doesn't mean I can't come out there for some shorter term assignment. For example, a new 50,000 sq. ft. data center is being built, and they need people to come in for 3 months and set up the racks, install the network gear, servers, battery backups, etc, run the power and ethernet lines, and all that. I'd love to do an assignment like that, I know the L.A. area well enough to live cheaply out there while I am there. This is just an example of things I want to do to expand my experience and maybe it'll lead to a full time data center job of some sort, for which I could accelerate my plans to move to L.A. .

Comments

• CardboardCardboard Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The above post appears as one big block of text, even though I didn't type it that way. It won't let me edit it.
    So what, no one here lives in the L.A. area, or wants to meet an up and coming IT professional? Or provide wisdom on an L.A. IT job search?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cardboard wrote: »
    Are any members from this site in that general area? I was thinking we could meet up, as some sort of pre-interview, and once I can move out to L.A. permanently, maybe we can work together to help me get a few interviews.

I think what your looking for is a recruiter. Your best bet is probably LinkedIn to find them or to Google recruiting companies in that area.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I live in Los Angeles but I'm pretty booked up. It's nothing against you. Just between work, family and studying for a CCIE, I don't have the hours to spare right now.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'm down the coast in Orange County. I stay out of LA as much as possible. ;)
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just moved out of Tustin over by the Marketplace. Hopefully moving back to Santa Barbara soon! RUN FROM LA! Unless you love traffic and crime of course.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    Hrumph. I'm in L.A., alone now.... utterly alone.....
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Check to see if they have a retro arcade there. When I traveled to NJ and couldn't meet up with my buddy there, he told me about one so I went there and hung out.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework