Which certifications to take next? Penetration testing / Security analyst

SuedishSuedish Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm working as a penetration tester, and also security analyst (security onion dist, for IDS/log analysis etc). Also sort of in charge of incident responses, so I do need to beef up my forensic knowledge as I am mainly pentester (skill-wise) at the moment.
Been thinking about which certifications to take next, I can get my employer to pay for the exams but probably not going to let me go away for an extender period of time for trainings, so I'll do the trainings on my own.

I've got Network+, Security+ and Certified Ethical Hacker certs as it is, and I am interested in the following (sorted in the order I am thinking about taking hem):

Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (CHFI)
Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP)
GIAC Security Essentials (GSEC) (<-- is this too basic compared to the other exam levels?)
GIAC Certified Forensic Analyst (GCFA)

This is the first "layout" of my plan, but I would like some input. Am i missing something? Are there better certs to take when self-studying? Is it unwise to mix between EC-Council, Comptia and GIAC?

Again, I want the certs to be:
- Able to self study for
- Attractive in the job market
- Applicable to my line of work
- Not insanely expensive (shouldn't be though as I will self-study)
- Taken in the "correct" order. As in not taking a more difficult cert before an easier one.

Thanks!

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The GSEC and GCFA are insanely expensive whether you choose the distance learning option or the 1-week in-person course.

That said, it sounds like we have similar job responsibilities. I am eyeing the CSA+ and the eCPPT, with the OSCP on the horizon. I do a little less forensics though.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a point of curiosity, why is the OSCP not on your list?
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Unless you already have some kind of R/S experience I would add CCNA to that list, as if you don't know the basics of network operation it is going to be difficult to analyze its security.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The big value in GIAC certifications is the SANS training and courseware. If you aren't going to go through the official course don't bother...it won't be worth it because you are going to spend a lot of time guessing what to study.

Out of what you have listed, the CASP is a pretty decent option or CHFI. You could also go for something like the eCPPT or OSCP...it all depends if you want to go for something red team or blue team...but all of those options will be less than $2,000 total.
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would skip GSEC its a basic cert and extremely expensive having security plus and CEH would check the box for GSEC i would pick another sans cert or possible pick up something like CISSP, CISM you could get both for the price of GSEC
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Clm wrote: »
    i would pick another sans cert or possible pick up something like CISSP, CISM you could get both for the price of GSEC
    If OP can't qualify or isn't close on experience, there is no point in going for those yet. I would say if you are 3+ years experience, CISSP is a decent option...but CISM requires 3 years of management so a bit higher ceiling.