Cisco Pix question

Well now that im done with NP i decided i want to go security route, and im gonna invest in some cisco pix. I have the chance to get a couple of 506e pix (vpn-aes enabled..vac+) for a reasonable price, but i know these wont run os 7.x. So my question is, is this even worth it ?? I plan on starting ccsp, but just a little lost when it comes to pix hardware. i also have the chance to get 515e at a good price. I know 515 comes with dmz and runs 7.x, but is 506e useless for ccsp ?? icon_eek.gif
Switches are bridges on steroids!

Comments

• MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I plan to sit for the SNPA (PIX/ASA) exam next week. Last week I went to the official Cisco course. I think the 506's are pretty useless for the exam. The CLI syntax is rather different from 6.x to 7.x, plus there are a lot of new funktionality i 7.x. Furthermore, the new GUI can not be used with 501/506, and you'll get hammered with that also.

Get one or two 515E's, and remember, the exam is for v.7.0, not 7.2! Good luck icon_cool.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My own thoughts http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19026 , the exam from a 6.x-user point of view. 7.x is better, but the 506's are not useless.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • thisisalex02thisisalex02 Member Posts: 136
    wow.. after that thread im sticking with the two 506e (w/ vac+)

Nice thread.. thanks !
    i ended up gettig the 515e after all.. lol .. but how long you all think itll be before ASA takes over completley and pix are off exams... I just bought this... so how long is it gonna be good for ?
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    As the software is the same on both box'es, you should be good for a while. The only thing you can't use a PIX for is practice using the new IPS modules for ASA.
    i wish the pix could do webvpn... icon_sad.gif