Anyone ever gotten a long distance phone call for a job

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
instead of an email when you posted your resume on Monster.com, etc.?

The reason I ask is that I just recentlly updated my resume and put it back into circulation on Monster. Tonight, my wife calls and says I have a message for a job opportunity from someone in GA, but the job is here in SC where I am. Does this sound like a headhunter?

According to her, he said the opportunity was with his company. so i looked it up and its a legit company (not a headhunter firm) but i didnt see the job listing on the webpage he phoned me about and there is not office in SC that I could see listed on the site

Any suggestions? I guess it wouldnt hurt to call and see what he has to say. I am just really skeptical of why he wouldnt email me as the first step and then have me call him.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Call him. It can't hurt.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    With all of the problems of email, spam, and spam filters, it's usually quicker to contact people using a phone call. And when using Skype or VoIP long distances are no big concern.
  • BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The name of the company is Scientific Games. anyone ever heard of them?

Just trying to cover the bases icon_lol.gif

Havent done a phone interview or "callback" it QUITE a long time. icon_eek.gif

I will give it a shot
    Mark Twain

• OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    I landed a contract a few months ago and the headhunter contacted from Texas.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Yup...I get calls from recruiters, companies, and headhunters from all over the country every single week. It is either for opportunities locally or in other states. I would give them a call back and see what they are talking about. I like Head Hunters better because they recruit you for the company to hire you on. Recruiters hire you and bring you on to their company, and SLAVE you out the company :D .

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    Scientific Games has an office here in the ATL
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ALL day everyday.. lol a good resume can do that icon_cool.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    open near where I live. It's a permanent position (dont know the specifics or salary, etc. he only sent me the job description). Currently, I am a contractor in a stable environment but its helpdesk job for modem icon_eek.gif and broadband connectivity for healthcare contracts.

My question is I am studying for MCSA (hope to take 270 soon) and I want to get to a network admin or jr (?) admin position if there is such a thing anymore and I dont want to take a step DOWN. I am trying to move forward and UP in experience and knowledge.

The job description doesnt "REALLY" say what I would be doing so I guess I should find out more and then fill you guys in.

Anyone here a "field technician" or ever been one? what kind of things would you be doing?

heres what it says on the description:

Performs problem diagnosis, over the phone assistance for minor problems, and to travel to customer sites, when necessary, to repair or replace equipment.
    Records service call information logs and reports data communication problems to management and communicates recommendations on customer’s equipment.
    Follow through on customer issues that require additional support or are above the scope of own abilities.
    Provide necessary information and updates on an ongoing basis to management regarding the resolution of software and hardware problems.
    Coordinates with Customer Service and Dispatch in the repair and servicing of customer equipment.
    Maintains the Company vehicle.
    All other duties as assigned.

Thanks for any help and advice
    Mark Twain

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Make sure that you find out what their typical work hours are. Computer gaming companies are notorious for hiring younger people and working them to death. No time for school, certs, or a life under those work hours. I assume businesses that write gambling software could be the same way, but I've never heard anything about the industry.