CRISC - Exam preparation (study materials, tips, mindset, etc)

SecurityGuru23SecurityGuru23 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello world,

I'm preparing to sit for the CRISC exam either sometime in May or June. I'm currently using only the Q&A database review questions from ISACA and nothing else.

For those who've passed the exam, is this good enough to pass or should I purchase the CRM (CRISC Review Manaual) from ISACA as well?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SecurityGuru23, How do you have endorsement pending on both CISA & CISM?

If you have sat & passed both the CISA & CISM, you know the real value is in the QAE databases. That said, maybe you read both the CISA & CISM manuals. I'm sure the CRISC manual is equally as dry & unexciting. The questions & case studies might provide some additional value. It stinks but I most likely will spend the extra $100 and buy the official manual as well if I take it....

if i'm going to invest 4+ hours of my life testing + 20-30 hours studying over a few months, and want to for sure pass the 1st attempt? the extra $100 is worth it.
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree with coffeeisgood. I just took the CISM in December and passed top 5 percent. This is what I used (in addition to Megamind training) and I'm assuming this will be the same for CRISC.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that said, have I pulled down my CISA and/or CISM manuals?

oddly yes, I pulled down my CISA manual to look something up once.
    All depends on your job I guess.

will I ever pull down & use my printed CISA manual, nope
    the online QAE database was much better anyway for the CISM
    I'll use the online QAE database if/when I set for the CRISC (& the printed dry boring manual, cuz yeah, i like reading dry stuff like that icon_silent.gif)
  • SecurityGuru23SecurityGuru23 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Coffeeisgood,

I passed the CISM back in 09/2016 and CISA in 12/2016 but have yet to submit the application for review, that's why I have "endorsement pending" as the status for both CISA/CISM.

For both exams, I've only used the online questions from ISACA and no review manual. I've only inquired about whether I should use the review manual for CRISC is due to so many horror stories of people failing due to it's ambiguity of the test questions and some have even stated that CRISC is the most difficult exam out of the four offered by ISACA.

I was hoping that those who passed the CRISC to provide feedbacks on their experiences and whether it is necessary to purchase the review manual or if the online questions from ISACA will suffice to pass the exam?

Just wanted to save $100 if possible, anyhow, thanks for your response. We'll see what happens...
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how can i check if the exam is available in my city to schedule?
  • DistordDistord Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i've bought both the DB questions and CRM for CRISC this summer.. Better safe than sorry:)
  • drobinson138drobinson138 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Preparing for the exam myself. So far I have gotten through the CRISC AIO book. I also have the CRISC manual and the Q&A.I found the CRISC video set on CybraryIT w/ Kelly Handerhand. I used her for the CISSP. Hopefully the course is just as good.
  • lagbajabblagbajabb Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello drobinson138. Did you say you used only CybraryIT to pass the CISSP? Can anyone also ascertain if CybraryIT or any online free video is good to pass the CRISC? Is it possible to study for CRISC in two months?
  • DistordDistord Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i went through the first chapter of CRISC on cybrary but those are just basic stuff. The official book is way more comprehensive so i'll stick to that.
  • engkhdengkhd Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dears ,

i have CRISC review manual 2015 edition , is it enough to study and pass ?! i just 've passed by ISACA web site and i found CRISC review manual 6th edition for this year is almost 25 papers more than the one i have , should i buy the new one ?!! pls advise
    Hello all,

I'm currently studying for the CRISC and plan on sitting for it sometime in May. I'm solely using the Q&A online questions from ISACA and nothing else. I hope this alone will be sufficient to pass on my 1st attempt... We shall see in May... Good luck to everyone who is studying for this.
    IS there any way to share This on-line DB bank with you , how much did it cost you ?
    Unfortunately, I cannot, as the DB is link to my ISACA account. Cost $185.00 for 1 year subscription for members.
    Thank you for your reply my friend , wish you all success , work hard BRO
  • lensiplensip Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello world,

I'm preparing to sit for the CRISC exam either sometime in May or June. I'm currently using only the Q&A database review questions from ISACA and nothing else.

For those who've passed the exam, is this good enough to pass or should I purchase the CRM (CRISC Review Manaual) from ISACA as well?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I'm also about to start prepping for the CRISC exam, after passing the CISA and CISM. I'm going to apply parts of the 'Cone of learning' technique using three methods of learning:
    1. Quick book review to understand the overall structure of the domains and to find knowledge gaps. Also use for referencing.
    2. Q&A database for 'Active learning'. This will be the bulk of where I learn what Isaca want me to know (80% of my effort)
    3. Video tutorials for some areas I really need to cover. I find this more engaging than reading and I tend to remember more for longer.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

I'm also planning on buying one of the books as a review aid
    which book are you going for lensip?
    Thanks lensip, best of luck to you too! Exam booked for 5/8, will inform everyone on how I did post exam. Hope I pass this on my 1st attempt, then I can circle back to the CISSP. Good luck to all those who are taking this soon.
  • manaol2112manaol2112 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    engkhd wrote: »
    Dears ,

i have CRISC review manual 2015 edition , is it enough to study and pass ?! i just 've passed by ISACA web site and i found CRISC review manual 6th edition for this year is almost 25 papers more than the one i have , should i buy the new one ?!! pls advise

Hi

Can you please share with me the 2015 version of it? Kindly email it me manaol2112@gmail.com.

Thank you!!!
  • drobinson138drobinson138 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lagbajabb wrote: »
    Hello drobinson138. Did you say you used only CybraryIT to pass the CISSP? Can anyone also ascertain if CybraryIT or any online free video is good to pass the CRISC? Is it possible to study for CRISC in two months?

lagbajabb. Cyrbary IT was not the only source I used to pass the CISSP and It is a free resource. I would say 2 months would depend on the individual. By the time test comes in June I will have done significantly more than that, being that this will be my first ISACA exam. Wishing you success on your journey
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the CRISC Manual, Q&A book, the database, and the IT Risk frame work when I passed in 2015. I had 5+ years in risk/grc roles at that time. found the exam to be straightforward and simple... was done in about an hour and 15 minutes
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    is it a tough exam?
  • Sonu7007Sonu7007 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How was the CRISC CBT exam SecurityGuru23? could you please share your experience.
    @ Sonu7007,

I just got back from the PSI testing center, happy to say that I did managed to pass the CRISC exam (1st attempt - Thank you God!). For those whom have taken an exam at either Pearson Vue/Prometric, it's similar set up/environment except you can bring a drink inside with you.

I've only used the DB questions online from ISACA to study and leveraged all of my experience/knowledge I acquired from other certs. I was done in 2 hours 1/2, took the remaining time to do a final review before hitting submit. Some questions were straightforward, others you had to do a process of elimination, and some were simply a guessing game.

Received "you provisionally passed the CRISC examination". Out of all three (CISA/CISM/CRISC), I have to admit, CISA was the hardest out of the bunch IMO but I'm sure that's up for debate. I'm just happy and relieved that it's over and now I can start studying for the CISSP!

Happy Monday and Good luck everyone!

-SG
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats SecurityGuru23! Man, after knocking out the ISACA trio, CISSP should be CAKE.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • tphan3tphan3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats SecurityGuru23! Can I ask what you usually scored when you practiced with the DB questions online from ISACA? Thank you
    @JoJoCAL19,

Thanks! However, I don't know about that. I've attempted the CISSP multiple times a few years ago without any success (660 hightest score) and was so frustrated and was on the verge of giving up certs all together. Then I decided to give ISACA certs a try and see how it goes, if anything I'll circle back to the CISSP. Fortunately, I did fairly well on ISACA certs, but CISSP is another animal, atleast for me it is.

Back on the CISSP journey after 2 years, may God be with me because I it's almost like only with God's blessing will I ever defeat this 800 pound gorilla. We'll see what happens in a few months... Good luck on the CISA!

-SG
    @ tphan3,

Thanks! I got 70-85 on most of my practice questions i all the domains. Try to also do 1-2 practice exams just to see how well you do as your final review. Try to understand the concepts is key to being successful in passing the exam. Hope this helps and good luck!

-SG
  • pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations @SecurityGuru23. The information share is very valuable as I have the CISM next on my list. Currently working on CISSP.
  • vynxvynx Member Posts: 153 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i'm plan to take CRISC exam in June 2017,
    i just want to know the CRISC QAE is worth or not for exam?
    since i have plan to just learn from QAE day by day ..