How far do you commute?

Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was thinking about moving back to my hometown. If I do, and get a job, than it might take me around hour and a half to get to work. Just wondering how far you guys commute to work.

Comments

• jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I spent 6.5 years commuting 3 hours each way, would drive to work early Monday (3-4 am) morning and then drive 3 hours home on Wednesday, and then remote Thursday and Friday. As of mid December of last year, my commute is about 20-30 steps downstairs to my office as I am full remote since then.
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My usual commute time is about 10 min the morning, 15 min at night ("rush hour"). But many time, I go to some customer site, and then it is variable.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just recently changed jobs. This is my longest commute yet. 35 miles, takes me about an 60-70mins to travel that distance in the DFW area.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    About 90 min each way which I've been doing most of my life. Down the line, my commute may be even further if I want to buy a bigger property but for now, I use my inbound commute to sleep and my outbound commute to study.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I started this job it was about 50 miles one way (just over an hour on a good day). For about the past 18 months I have been full remote so now it is about 15 steps to my home office. Just have to be careful I don't trip over the dog on the way!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Like jcundiff, my commute is about 20 steps to my home office :D. I used to commute 28 miles and 45+ minutes however.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    10 minutes each way at current position. Used to have a commute that was 1 hour both ways. That will never happen again.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    45 minutes each way. 40 miles. My colleagues up near Redmond have the same time of commute, but only 5 miles. :) I live on the rural side of the state and work at the office here. They live on the urban side. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    About 30-45mins each way depending on traffic.
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was in the DC area it was roughly an hour commute (if everything was going smoothly). I felt like it was a great day if I happened to make it home in 55 minutes :). Unfortunately, that was rare, but a lot of days it was more like 75 to 90 minutes, and once in a while it was much worse.

Now I'm in Texas and the commute is 15-20 minutes. I like that a lot better!

I didn't think the long commute would bother me, but it really wore on me over time. Part of that goes with having family, though. I mean, like going home during the day to go to a kids' play or doctor's appointment or something and then going back to work afterwards meant spending 4 to 6 hours commuting that day.

Even with just the regular back and forth, though, it wore on me. It'd be frustrating to me to work long days and then miss out on an extra 2 or more hours a day because of the commute. Friday evenings were the worst. Seems like that's when there's always a crisis at work so I'd wind up staying late and then get caught in the madhouse traffic going home. That really didn't happen that often, but often enough that I would dread it.

Also, one of the worst feelings to me was being halfway to work or home and realizing I forgot my phone or something. Especially bad when it was something I really needed and had to turn back. It made me much more deliberate in my daily planning, though. Like, some days I bring lunch and some days I don't, so if I was bringing my lunch I'd make it the night before and put my car keys in the fridge with it so I couldn't accidentally leave without my food. Worked for me. :)

I've pretty much decided 30 minutes is about my sweet spot. Anything less than that is a bonus, but I'll try to avoid longer commutes than that if I can.

Joe
  • Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    30 minute drive each way on most days. 45 minutes to 1 hour in bad winter weather. Unfortunately, most jobs that would be a step up for me are 1 hour+ commutes, and I have no desire to spend that much time inside my car. Crossing my fingers that one of the rare, worthwhile IT jobs in my area will open up some time this year. I'd love to cut that commute down to 10 minutes.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I drive 110 miles round trip per day, ranging between 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes each way. I do have an agency provided car so at least it isn't my mileage and gas.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    30 minutes each way plus $4.15 in tolls. But I just interviewed for a position 1.5 miles away yesterday. Fingers crossed!!
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    30 minutes, 30 miles. This is the best commute I can hope for in my area for a mid to senior skilled IT position, unless I landed a wfh gig, or move the family (not happening anytime this decade).

I would almost certainly have to drive 90+ minutes one way to either Raleigh or Charlotte to land something more lucrative than I have now, or take a 80-100% travelling gig. Also not happening.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    20miles/40minutes each way
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    15.6 miles going to work (avoiding a $1 toll) and 17.2 miles on the way home (avoiding the same toll). I love my commute, but that is about it...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    31 Miles, takes about 35 minutes to get to work, but can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes to get through security, not quite as bad as an Airport, but close.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think my commute is around 10 miles, but often with Oklahoma traffic, it can take up to 30 - 45 minutes. Ironically, I can get on my bike, leave at rush-hour time, and make it to the office about 20 minutes before I would usually.

Just a quick note on the bike: I am not lane splitting or riding like a turd. There's bike trails almost the entire way.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    5 minutes to drive 4 miles. It's the best of both worlds. I get out of the house but never far from home.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am doing 40 miles and one hour each way, but I can telecommute whenever I want and I am not going the flow of normal Chicago rushhour.

I actually quite like the drive, listen to some tunes or podcast, and either ramp up for the day or wind down.

-scott
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Mine used to be 45 minutes into work, 1.5+ hours back, and if it snowed or there was a crash one way could go up to 3+ hours on the road in a blizzard or staring at a bumper.

Fortunately before I had to push the issue, I was offered a remote position doing the same job from home, or even from another state if I want to move and HR is cool with the states income tax laws.

Twin Cities, when they say the two seasons we have here is Winter and Road Construction, they mean it!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I actually quite like the drive, listen to some tunes or podcast, and either ramp up for the day or wind down.

This is one thing I was thinking about the other day that I miss working from home. As soon as I walk out the office my girl wants to run to dinner, have me help with the chores or do this or do that. I have to tell her to give me a few to wind down form the day. Don't have that ~20 minutes of commute to de-stress with some tunes or something that I used to take for granted.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    25 - 40 minutes one way. Hopefully going to change 5 - 10 in the near future.
  • jrisbrookjrisbrook Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    About 90 min each way which I've been doing most of my life. Down the line, my commute may be even further if I want to buy a bigger property but for now, I use my inbound commute to sleep and my outbound commute to study.

Lirr commuter? You work in Manhattan?
    Currently working on : BS C.S.I.A - WGU

Just trying to be better today, than I was yesterday...
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Used to be under 10 minutes anywhere I was stationed at in the Military, I took that for granted. I now live 10 miles away which takes me 30 minutes and I hate it so much. So much time wasted in the commute. I listen to audio books, but still.....
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jrisbrook wrote: »
    Lirr commuter? You work in Manhattan?

On the edge of Queens and have to go to the Financial District daily.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    This is one thing I was thinking about the other day that I miss working from home. As soon as I walk out the office my girl wants to run to dinner, have me help with the chores or do this or do that. I have to tell her to give me a few to wind down form the day. Don't have that ~20 minutes of commute to de-stress with some tunes or something that I used to take for granted.

With a wife and three kids, I get that too!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    My longest commute was my previous position. I used to travel via public transport 2 hours to get there and then 2 hours back home.

Now it only takes me 15 minutes to walk each way for my new job. :D
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Just took a brand new role. I was specifically looking for something close by, and it's 30 minutes door to door include about 20 minutes cycling. So far, that's working really well for me. I need the exercise.

On the other hand, I know someone who is about 5 minutes walk to their workplace, and they think it's too close. They are concerned about running into colleagues/clients, and 5 minutes means they aren't getting the same incidental exercise they were.

Previously, I had a job that had about 30 minutes on a train which I found to be really good for reading/studying. You can easily get a few hours of reading a week that way.

One thing I hope never to go back to is driving regularly in city peak traffic. 40 minutes of stop/start driving in packed traffic is not the same as 40 minutes of driving on open freeway.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722

Yeah, there's a thing about "the third space" where you can depressurise from work before coming home. Personally, I found that driving for 40mins-1.5hr in city traffic really didn't help destress much, but 30 mins on a train really did. I think you are completely correct when you say you need that even when you are working from home.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM