Options

IPv4 to IPv6 Hex Conversion, best explanations or methods?

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
Chris Bryant teaches Hex conversions back and forth as units of 16 and units of 1, for example:

220.200.18.42 is converted like this:

220 = 13 units of 16 and 12 units of 1 = DC
200 = 12 units of 16 and 8 units of 1 = C8
18 = 1 unit of 16 and 2 units of 1 = 12
42 = 2 units of 16 and 10 units of 1 = 2A

So your Hex address from 220.200.18.42 is DCC8:122A

I just cannot believe that is the most practical way to do it, but I will be damned if I can find a better resource for hex ipv6 to ipv4 and back conversions, anyone able to advise or point me in the right direction?

As you can see, if I had to convert that back figuring out multiplications of 16 for each part of each address will be a time killer, any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Out of curiosity, is the lack of answers or any sort of input because it is a stupid question, or because its the correct way to do it?

I am finding plenty of hex conversion stuff on the web but not specifically aimed at IPv4 to IPv6 Hex conversion, and I cannot find it in either the CCNA or CCNP version of either CB's or KB's R/S lessons - Is this some sort of conspiracy???

Cause I love conspiracies :D

EDIT:

Upon really digging into google, it does in fact appear that diving by 16's and 1's, and multiplying by 16's and 1's is in fact the way to do it. I have some practice to get to unless anyone knows of an easier way.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To convert this is what I do...for example on 220, I write it out in binary...11011100.

After I write the number in binary, I split it into two halves...so 1101 and 1100...then figure out what hex it is...since we know hex starts at 10 with A...think of the binary as 8/4/2/1 so the first half is going to be 13 or D and the second half is 12 or C. You just repeat the process for all the numbers.
  • Options
    yokohyokoh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's probably the quickest method instead of converting to binary and then to hex. I believe Keith Bogart used the same method in one of his video's for the CCNP R&S track.
  • Options
    Yeah I looked through his materials too in both CCNP and CCNA R/S as well as their forums and couldn't find a straight answer, however I found the # of 16's and 1's when googling it, so I think I am going to go with that.

I emailed Keith if its hidden somewhere in his video course as someone mentioned he actually replies to students, so if I get a reply with a better answer I will post it here.
  • Options
    I emailed Keith Borgart from INE regarding not being able to find IPv4 to IPv6 conversions and back lessons in either his CCNA or CCNP series, and got the following response the next day:
    Hello Dave,

IPv6 was developed as a substitute/replacement for IPv4. Therefore it was not natively designed to be able to convert between the two.

Now there ARE ways (using NAT, Network Address Translation) and other advanced features to swap an IPv4 header (including addresses) for an IPv6 header and vice-versa but there is no consistent/standardized way to do it. Various NAT-related features can translate from one address to another but they do it using different methods. At the CCNA and CCNP level, you are expected to know that if a device has an IPv4 address...it will send IPv4 packets (end-to-end) to the destination station. If it has an IPv6 address, it will send IPv6 packets (end-to-end) to the destination station. Only in cases where an IPv4 (only) station needs to communicate with an IPv6 (only) station do addresses need to be translated.

However, where I do briefly talk about a couple of these techniques are in the CCNP Routing & Switching Technologies v2 series:
    • Overview of IPv6 Tunneling Options and NAT-PT
    • ISATAP Tunnels

Hope that helped!

So I'll continue practice the units of 16 and units of 1 method just in case I see it exam day, but otherwise I plan to check out those topics to see a more detailed explanation of what he describes.

I'm actually impressed with his in depth email response the very next day, I did not expect that at all.