Which CISSP bootcamp would you go to if your employer paid?

CISSPorBustCISSPorBust Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Which CISSP bootcamp would you go to if your employer paid?

Or which one did you go to that was good if you already went to one?

Comments

• IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SANS MGT414 with Eric Cole. I went the OnDemand route, which is 4 months access.

https://www.sans.org/course/sans-plus-s-training-program-cissp-certification-exam
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That ^^^ If I could get my employer to pay for it and give me a week to attend, attending a live SANS event is what I would choose.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Would take the time to do the SSCP first, then the CISSP on your own. CISSP bootcamps are a LOT of information to absorb in 1 week. If you go that route, make sure you take the CISSP exam at a later date then during the bootcamp.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I never see bootcamps as a lot of info to absorb. but more of a super long review session. If you use them properly they are intended to reinforce material that you should already be familiar with.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    IaHawk wrote: »
    SANS MGT414 with Eric Cole. I went the OnDemand route, which is 4 months access.
    If money isn't an issue, 100% of the time go with SANS.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As others have stated, I would go with a SANS course first. After that, I would look for a bootcamp where the instructor has some industry experience, credentials beyond CISSP, contributed to the body of knowledge for information security through books and white papers, etc.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • CISSPorBustCISSPorBust Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I never see bootcamps as a lot of info to absorb. but more of a super long review session. If you use them properly they are intended to reinforce material that you should already be familiar with.

Right, I'm hoping the bootcamp gives me an extra 50 points or so to help me pass if I'm border line.
  • pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My honest advice would be to go for some other course then CISSP. I just did my own study and then went to the class. The classes are jam packed with just lecture and lecture. Only positive thing i have gained from the Class was the answering strategy which I kind of was doing the same but that was the only part valuable. After the second day into SANS class I felt i should have gone to some other courses that I was interested in like for penetration testing or forensics class.
    Make a thoughtful choice. All the best for your exam if you are planning to take it.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CISSP isn't that difficult. I would sooner just read the books and do the practice questions than go to a boot camp.

But if my employer was going to **** loads of money on a free tourist vacation. I would choose one in a tourist friendly vacation location.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't have any experience with SANs, so I am going to suggest the boot camp I went to... The Training Camp... it's a beast though... Mon -Fri 8-7, Sat review session 9-12, test at 1 pm. Its a great finisher/polisher. I would not suggest trying to go through any boot camp without experience and previous study
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Would take the time to do the SSCP first, then the CISSP on your own. CISSP bootcamps are a LOT of information to absorb in 1 week. If you go that route, make sure you take the CISSP exam at a later date then during the bootcamp.

I concur. Most boot camps are nothing but cram sessions where they teach you enough to pass the exam. There's WAY too much information to learn for the CISSP to have any hope of passing it with just a boot camp. Your money is better spent on books and spending you time studying. I can see paying for SANS course, since the books are not available elsewhere, but there dozen of books available to study the CISSP. Personally unless the company has an unlimited training budget, I rather spend training dollars more wisely.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • CISSPorBustCISSPorBust Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pinksj wrote: »
    Only positive thing i have gained from the Class was the answering strategy which I kind of was doing the same.

What are some tips for the answering strategy?
  • jumblerrjumblerr Member Posts: 101 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One of the least mentioned resources on this board are the Larry Greenblatt videos on YouTube. To me this was the most important part of my study routine. If you want to learn a great answering strategy, pay the $45 to rent these.
  • pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi CISSPorBust. The key strategy would be first to know the concepts in all the domains. Once you know the concepts well you will immediately eliminate the two wrong answers then you will be left will two to choose from. Where in i try to read the question again and highlight the key word and look for the corresponding answer. There my key would be to think like a manager and think of risk and then you get to the answer.
    Sometimes when you are answering the questions technically you might get a different answer but when you put the manager hat the answer would be a different one.

When you are taking test try to put these point to thought and this could help you.

The following book is very helpful and I have heard from a lot other people who have taken the exam as well including me.
    https://www.amazon.com/CISSP-Official-ISC-Practice-Tests/dp/1119252288

All the best.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went to an employer-sponsored Training Camp bootcamp a while back and the instructor was excellent. I ended up passing on my first try, in part because of the material from the class.
    No idea what the quality of their training is like these days, just wanted to throw in my $.02.
  • meerkat154meerkat154 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Attending a one week bootcamp and in my case far too much information to process with not enough time to go back and review. It may work for some folks but in my case I need more time to absorb all the material.
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for SANS Bootcamp. Since it's employer sponsored I would prefer the onsite classes.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...