Some recruiters are so annoying

MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
Yesterday, I got an InMail on LinkedIn from a recruiter had a great opportunity for me as a Security Engineer, for a certain firewall vendor.

I did my usual thing of trying to get more info through LinkedIn/Email, but that wasn't working, so I gave the guy a call. This is where it goes downhill.

Recruiter: this is a great opportunity in AZ
Me: I live in NJ, so that doesn't help me much
Recruiter: You live in NJ
Me: Yes, just like my LinkedIn says
Recruiter: did you ever live in AZ???
Me: Nope
Recruiter: Oh, hmm, when did I contact you, a couple weeks ago?
Me: Today
Recruiter: Oh, hmm, well I have a copy of your resume, I get these positions all the time in different areas
Me: You don't have my resume, you found me on LinkedIn
Recruiter: Oh yeah, that's right

It happens, I know

Comments

• NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like most HR twits; recruiters have a room temperature IQ.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In Celsius, apparently. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had one call me recently and I told them I wouldn't take any job for less than $85k. She responded by saying 'ok, I will submit you at $80k'? WHAT?
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Recruiters from India are the worst, they have no concept of distance. They pitch jobs that are half way across the country, and even when they do pitch jobs closer to your geographic area, they still have no concept of distance and traffic. Like I'm going to take a job in New York City when I live in South Jersey, it's a good two hour drive without traffic, with traffic it's a minimum 3 hours, probably closer to 4 each way.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Master YodaMaster Yoda Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like most HR twits; recruiters have a room temperature IQ.

Lol, This made my day. icon_lol.gif
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'm not going to **** on recruiters that bad, because they've helped me get some nice jobs, but yea, I've had some questionable things said by recruiters over the years. I also agree, love the InfoSec jobs all the way out in California for 3-6 month contracts at $30/hr when my location is plastered on my resume and every profile as being in Florida.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My favorite are the ones who I have never spoken to that will cold call my office desk phone at my current employer (which I have never given out to anyone outside the org or have published anywhere) and want to pitch their latest opportunity based off my LinkedIn profile.

Come on man, I'm not going to openly discuss leaving my current employer within ear shot of my boss and colleagues from my cube. icon_rolleyes.gif
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This was a large part of why I closed my LinkedIn profile (that and having way too much personal information all in one place). The recruiters were driving me crazy!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I go nuclear with those who track down and call my office desk number. Last one who tried it resulted in a very formal apology from the recruiting's company president.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This was a large part of why I closed my LinkedIn profile (that and having way too much personal information all in one place). The recruiters were driving me crazy!

I have no problems with LinkedIn messages or emails and will usually give a canned thanks but no thanks at this time response. Now if you call my desk phone at my current employer we have a different situation...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    I have no problems with LinkedIn messages or emails and will usually give a canned thanks but no thanks at this time response. Now if you call my desk phone at my current employer we have a different situation...

If it were only that simple for me lulz. I was interested, but it was just all too chaotic for me, their methods. It was all just too crazy for me which I wouldn't have minded if it resulted in something, but it never did.

Just got tired of the annoyances.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    I had one call me recently and I told them I wouldn't take any job for less than $85k. She responded by saying 'ok, I will submit you at $80k'? WHAT?

I spoke with a recruiter from a company based in Florida, who was competing for a contract in the DC area where the average salary is around 30-40k higher. But they were only paying salaries similar to a range you would find in Florida. Sad thing is, they were probably the low bid & won...

OP: Recruiters are just like that, but it sucks when they can't even remember you - they probably ran some kind of automated search on LinkedIn so there's probably going to be a disconnect.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got the best one today: My qualifications make me a phenomenal fit as a behavioral health consultant. icon_cheers.gif
  • dialecticaldialectical Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think I've ever got a call from a recruiter who actually saw my resume, or at least had it in hand. Everything I say from basic work experience to specific certifications always seems to be a surprise. The explanation to this must be that they generate a long list of candidates to cold call based on key word fits but have no info on you while calling.

Most recently I was solicited with a job as a Principal Engineer in Sri Lanka (this is very far from me) that required 15 years of solid experience in VOIP and other technologies which I've never touched. I could not even understand what the recruiter was saying except that she seemed surprised I did not get her emails (which I found after checking the spam folder).
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I once got a call about a position that piqued my interest, but I had to stop the girl during her spiel and (politely) decline. Once she made the comment "I see you've worked with MCSE in the past", I knew things weren't going to get very far off the ground.

Looking back, I should have had some fun and played along for a while..."Yes, at my last position I installed CCNA on the gyro-valves that routed packets through the servers' capacitor ports". Give her some good things to ask other candidates, ya know? :)

Maybe we should start recording these conversations and post them so recruiters can be shamed into learning how to do what it is they are supposed to be doing.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I love it when they think I'm going to drive 75 miles one way for $18/hr. Or when they tell you a position is $35/hr only to have them say "oops, it's actually $25/hr".
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    some of them are real pips...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • CardboardCardboard Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I get calls from new recruiters who started at some local agency for IT work. They call me and start by saying "so tell me about your IT background".

Uh, start by READING THE RESUME, THAT IS WHY I MADE IT!!!! Then, if more detail is needed, we can talk.

I also get calls from the Indian scammers all the time, I hang up on them. Then they call back and I hang up again. And I smile.
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I closed mine recently, as well. No regrets.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I hate the ones who keep cramming a job down your throat when you say 'too far of a commute'. One said 'but if you leave early you can beat the traffic' Oh please, DC is still 2 fricking hours away for me. LOL
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I typically put recruiters on auto ignore unless it truly is something interesting. Even then most times I don't even talk to recruiters unless they are employees of the company that they are trying to find a candidate for.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi