Options

Path unclear

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Getting ready to retake the Net+ in a few weeks. Also working on router and switch configurations to prepare for the CCENT.

Ultinately I would like to get into security however I've read that networking experience is really the key to building a solid foundation for security and I adapt very well to Cisco technology. So right now my plan is to get a CCNA while working on building a solid Linux foundation. I will also take my Python hobby back up (eventually).

So this is where I'm at right now but I would like to get some advice from people who actually know what the hell their doing.

How should I spebd my time, what should I be learning, what will actually help me get a job...

Thanks
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cellphone post
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you've got a good plan here. Many security folks seem to come up through the Networking path and there's nothing at all wrong with that. I think if you can bring Networking, Development and Linux skills, you're golden.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depending on your current Linux skillset, consider signing up for and taking the introductory Linux courses at Cisco's Networking Academy. They are free for you to take. They were produced by NDG.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me