Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @globalenjoi - I'm in the same situation as you. I'm also studying for Sec+ and I've had to put that aside while I'm doing Cisco. At least mine are related though, where it doesn't sound like yours are. I do like the class.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    On section 2 of SECFND. This content, while basic, is really good.
  • Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    @globalenjoi - I'm in the same situation as you. I'm also studying for Sec+ and I've had to put that aside while I'm doing Cisco. At least mine are related though, where it doesn't sound like yours are. I do like the class.

I'm not yet halfway through the first part of the SECFND material, but so far, it seems like it'll be valuable if you don't yet have the Sec+ cert yet. Pretty much everything has been review for me, but it's very well-crafted review. Seems like you might be in a two-birds, one-stone kind of situation which is cool!
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm finding this material to be pretty lengthy. I'm honestly spending 3-4 hours per chapter including the lab. Maybe I'm just slow. A lot of it is review for me, but I don't want to risk skimming through the material 'just in case.'
  • Options
    @globalenjoi - That's exactly what I was hoping for. Getting them done at the same time. icon_lol.gif You and probably everyone else on this thread is more advanced than me. The material is more in depth than Sec+ and some of the information is new to me. I'm personally learning a lot and I like the class.

@adam220891 - I'm spending a lot of time on it too. The labs I think take a lot of time.
  • Options
    TreySongTreySong Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    The requirements look promising until the Military service requirement. I did participate in a number of classified military operations in Call of Duty, I wonder if that qualifies me.

LMAO! Lol!
  • Options
    securityorcsecurityorc Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed SECOPS and wanted to share some tips for this one:

- scholarship materials are not enough, the docs that the mentors put together are helpful but not sufficient. Go straight to the source (NIST and C2M2). Especially the NIST document is helpful, because you also have to know which actions are associated with each phase
    - get comfortable with basic regex, so that you can interpret a few patterns
    - know capture filters and display filters (not everything, just the main points of interest)
    - be able to interpret logs
    - some questions' wording was terrible, more answers could be correct depending on the interpretation. Know your stuff really well so there is minimum amount of confusion
    - follow the exam guideline, if it's not covered there you won't find it in the exam

Hope this helps future exam takers! Now it's time to update my CV and set a goal for the next certification! icon_study.gif
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Thanks for the tips and good luck on that next certification!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    kietgarciakietgarcia Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats! i willl try to find docs for that. thanks for your share. ;)
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @Securityorc....Congratulations! I am going to be taking the SECOPS exam in the next two weeks.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Okay, I've never taken a Cisco course online before, but I feel like it needs to be said... The lab presentation in this course is freaking incredible. Maybe I'm easily impressed? You get a network topology, but then you get access to every single machine (including routers/switches/ASAs) WITHIN THE BROWSER. I thought it would be sluggish and slow, but it's not, its really, really responsive. Want to access your Kali machine? CLICK, instantly open. Oh, need the web server? CLICK, instantly open. Pop them out, toss them on other monitors, doesn't matter, smooth as butter.

I'm enjoying the course content, but I would love it if other certs had something similarly awesome.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thank you for the great information about this certification.

How many total courses are in this program?

My cohort is slated to start Q2 next year. We may be the last group. Long wait, I'm excited to start already!

"I wanted to send a follow up note, because we have received several questions on your start date. The start date that was sent to you is accurate. The program can only have so many students per quarter and we want to make sure that each student gets the attention and mentoring they need when participating. To confirm your 90-day class (or cohort) for the program will approximately start on April 2, 2018 and the end date is July 2, 2018.

Please keep in mind over 10,000 students have been admitted until July of 2018. Consequently, each class is filled and so we will not be taking requests for changes of class start dates until a week prior to your class on a case-by-case basis. Our selection for class start dates was completed at random.

We look forward to your participation in the scholarship program! Again, we will contact you a week before your class start date."
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @globalenjoi - That's exactly what I was hoping for. Getting them done at the same time. icon_lol.gif You and probably everyone else on this thread is more advanced than me. The material is more in depth than Sec+ and some of the information is new to me. I'm personally learning a lot and I like the class.

@adam220891 - I'm spending a lot of time on it too. The labs I think take a lot of time.

How close are you to requesting the exam voucher for the 210-250 & crushing that bad-boy???
    "I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN
  • Options
    coffeeluvr wrote: »
    @Securityorc....Congratulations! I am going to be taking the SECOPS exam in the next two weeks.

Got my 210-255 scheduled for May 5th. Would have taken it earlier but had local PV scheduling issues. Let us know how your exam goes.

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Damn, missed it for 2017 :\

I have a coworker who is crazy good with security / Firepower / ASA's, and after he obtained this cert he decided to study for his CCIE Security.

I hope this opens back up after the NP R/S and I could just start with this rather than NP Sec!
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been going through the course for the SECFND portion of the exam and thought I would provide some insight. Anyone else who has already taken the course may chime in with a different opinion, this one is just mine.

It is clear to me that the course is aimed towards very entry level analyst. Perhaps I was mistaken at my general analysis of the course at the beginning - my original thought was that the course was suppose to be somewhere past the Security+ but geared more towards analysis rather than general security. Without giving away too much, I will say that the course goes over things such as how to run a command prompt as an admin. I would expect someone who is starting a position within a SOC to already be familiar with technology and especially so with navigating your way around a system. Just a small rant there though.

I am hoping that the SECOPS portion of the course goes further.
  • Options
    RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think they made the exam too broad. Its like they have taken everything from everywhere. I am not pleased with the approach. Started to read the official ciscopress book for the exam and gave up, its almost 900 pages. Its a security fundamental exam and they have put every cisco device and technology out there in the book. Who on earth will go and learn all those devices. If you work with Cisco then you will learn cisco ASA or AMP but you don;t need to know every company cisco ever bought. I am not sure what to expect on the exam. Most of the cisco material at least from the scholarship seems to be an entry level, but the cisco press book it on whole new level, either the authors were confused what's in the exam and just put everything that has anything remotely to do with security... will see.
    Live lessons vides for the exams are more like introduction to the cisco security devices and technologies, not much about real security.
    Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting to hear everyone's experiences so far in regards to this cert.

I am in the June 2018 cohort so I expect not much will change between now and then. Anything I could read/do to get ahead?
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    NEODREAM wrote: »
    Interesting to hear everyone's experiences so far in regards to this cert.

I am in the June 2018 cohort so I expect not much will change between now and then. Anything I could read/do to get ahead?
    The SECFND book is out. My copy should be here Wednesday. 900 pages of the basics according to Cisco..
  • Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    The SECFND book is out. My copy should be here Wednesday. 900 pages of the basics according to Cisco..

Thanks for the heads up!
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    I've googled and I can't seem to find what the passing score for the exam is. Does anyone have a link?
  • Options
    825 is the passing score. Just passed today with 961. I'll write exam review later.
  • Options
    NEODREAM wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Its a nice read. 900 pages.
  • Options
    Ertaz wrote: »
    I found it to have too much info not needed for the exam. Book itself is good. But it way more than what you need for the exam.
  • Options
    Replicon wrote: »
    825 is the passing score. Just passed today with 961. I'll write exam review later.

Thanks Man!
  • Options
    whoknew wrote: »
    How close are you to requesting the exam voucher for the 210-250 & crushing that bad-boy???

@whoknew. I'm about a week out from finishing the SECFND class. I thought I was ahead of schedule, but apparently I'm not. Some of this is a rehash of Sec+, but some of it is new to me so it's taking me longer than I thought. Good luck to you on the 210 255 exam! You'll nail it I"m sure!

Also, can anyone comment on the actual SECFND test as far as how it compares to the Sec+ exam? I mean in general is it the same difficulty level or is the SECFND harder? I just want to know as I prepare for the both of those exams.
  • Options
    @whoknew. I'm about a week out from finishing the SECFND class. I thought I was ahead of schedule, but apparently I'm not. Some of this is a rehash of Sec+, but some of it is new to me so it's taking me longer than I thought. Good luck to you on the 210 255 exam! You'll nail it I"m sure!

Also, can anyone comment on the actual SECFND test as far as how it compares to the Sec+ exam? I mean in general is it the same difficulty level or is the SECFND harder? I just want to know as I prepare for the both of those exams.

Don't worry about comparing the Security+ exam or any other exam to the 210-250. Jus be able to answer all of the end of Section quizzes that I sent you AND make sure to go through all of the sub-section quiz-lets with no mistakes. Now when I write "ANSWER" I mean be able to explain why the correct answer or answers are correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. Guessing = "No soup for you!!!" Knowing = EXAM CRUSHED!

Lastly, go over EVERY stinking element on the Cisco exam blueprint & know where that topic is covered in the on-line course material. If you can't find it in the on-line course material, then toodle-pip on down to the Google-Webs (George Bush's words, not mine) & look it up. If these things you do truly & surely, a passing score & victory you shall have upon the 210-250 SECFND exam.

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    whoknew wrote: »
    Don't worry about comparing the Security+ exam or any other exam to the 210-250. Jus be able to answer all of the end of Section quizzes that I sent you AND make sure to go through all of the sub-section quiz-lets with no mistakes. Now when I write "ANSWER" I mean be able to explain why the correct answer or answers are correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. Guessing = "No soup for you!!!" Knowing = EXAM CRUSHED!

Lastly, go over EVERY stinking element on the Cisco exam blueprint & know where that topic is covered in the on-line course material. If you can't find it in the on-line course material, then toodle-pip on down to the Google-Webs (George Bush's words, not mine) & look it up. If these things you do truly & surely, a passing score & victory you shall have upon the 210-250 SECFND exam.
    Can you send me the end of section quizzes please? I am almost done with the Course 2.
  • Options
    devilbones wrote: »
    Can you send me the end of section quizzes please? I am almost done with the Course 2.

If, by course 2, you mean the SECFND course for the 210-250, then yes, I have a PDF of all of the section quiz questions in an unanswered state. Please provide your e-mail address to me privately & I'll e-mail that doc & the exam blueprint if you don't already have that as well.

• Options
    USED & ABUSED BY THE 210-255 SECOPS EXAM

The bad news: The exam left me bruised & bloodied as Rocky Balboa. I was about to ask Mick to cut me when the final bell rang. I wouldda bet a paycheck that I failed it.

The good news: I passed the exam (despite the beating) with a 948/100 & I wouldda bet ANOTHER freaking paycheck that I was having a stroke when I read those results. Alas, the PearsonVUE proctor assured me that the score was, indeed, 948/1000 & that I probably wasn't having a stroke.

The rest of the story:
    its just like everyone else who's taken the 210-255 SECOPS exam has testified:

1. Some of the exam questions are very poorly worded or the question construct is shoddily designed ... just like 95% of the 25 some-odd other certification exams I've taken.

2. The on-line course material alone will NOT get you there. Don't rely solely on that resource to pass.

3. You gotta know regular expressions. Course mentors will provide a URL to visit to help you with that.

4. You gotta know NIST SP.800-61r...COLD. Just give it up & go download the PDF now & start reading.

5. You gotta know NIST SP.800-86...COLD. Just give it up & go download the PDF now & start reading.

6. You gotta know wireshark/tcpdump PCAP & LIBCAP filters. So you gotta play with wireshark.

7. YOU GOTTA ATTEND THE LAST 2 WEBINARS FOR THE SECOPS COURSE!!! Mentors will give you guidance doc on Exam Blueprint / Training Material gap coverage.

8. YOU GOTTA know the exam blueprint & the gap doc mentioned above...COLD!!!

9 I have the aforementioned docs if anyone wants them via e-mail. Just provide your e-mail address to me privately.

NOTE: the mentor's doc does NOT have any 210-255 exam questions or answers or any other information that violates Cisco's exam policies. If they did, I would never post such material on this site or any other site. Ya just gotta study your butt off to pass this beast.

As I've said in previous posts, I'm an idiot (and probably starting to go senile) & I managed to stumble over the finish line. I just had to work my ass off for 4 months to get there (the strokes didn't help). And if I can do it, anyone can do it.

And of course, I wish nothing but the best of luck to the 2nd cohort & those cohorts to come after with their journey to the CCNA Cyber Ops certification.

A special message to ERATZ: "Tonight I will drink & I will know less than nothing" icon_lol.gif