Finished Master's Thesis!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Tonight I finished writing my Master's Thesis!! For my topic I choose to write about the establishment and effectiveness of a Federal "Cyber Stand Your Ground" law. It was actually very interesting to find a lot of writing on the topic and I felt I expanded upon it fairly well. Will be doing some final editing on Sunday and have one paper left to write for my Risk Assessment course. Off this Summer and one class in Fall...then I am done!

Considering going on to the DSc in Information Systems at DSU if I can find the funding.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool! Congrats!
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Cyber stand your ground law... So if the PC is messing up you can unload a clip of hollow points into it? If not, you may want to re-think the thesis :)

32 WINDOWS UPDATES AT THE END OF THE WORK DAY WHEN I AM SHUTTING DOWN??? DIE LAPTOP DIE!!!
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! Sounds like an interesting read. So does your thesis involve the use of active defense?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Cyber stand your ground law... So if the PC is messing up you can unload a clip of hollow points into it? If not, you may want to re-think the thesis :)

32 WINDOWS UPDATES AT THE END OF THE WORK DAY WHEN I AM SHUTTING DOWN??? DIE LAPTOP DIE!!!

Exactly, but you are legally required to state "say hello to my little friend!" prior to firing!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Congrats! Sounds like an interesting read. So does your thesis involve the use of active defense?

I didn't touch on active defense as the law revolves around a requirement of due diligence of the target along with reasonable and proportionate response. I also added a requirement, with the best of ability, to ascertain the function of the machine that was utilized to execute the attack. My reasoning is that should that machine be part of a hospital network and specifically is used for some medical function then you don't want to counter-attack it knowing it might be possible that it's a heart monitor or some sort of medicine pump or even a power plant of some kind.

I do believe that some form of active defense can be used and honestly my understanding is that it could be currently considered legal (though perhaps hasn't been tested in court). Like I said a really interesting topic and there is a lot written about it (for and against). My view is we need to speak about it, weigh it as an option and then decide if at this point we need to allow it until some other option presents itself.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Oh no doubt. You have to know what your target is and what is beyond it. Hacks are weapons.

I think the most acceptable use of counter hacking comes down to attempting accurate attribution.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congratulations!! That's a hard thing to do when juggling full time work! well done
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Got an A on my thesis! My thesis advisor provided feedback stating he enjoyed what I wrote, that I had a real knack for breaking down complex technical topics making them readable for anyone and that with some tweaking I should definitely look to get my thesis published.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • MrDrewMrDrew Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any chance you have a link to your paper? I'm interested in reading it and I'm sure others are as well :)
    I'm debating putting it out for review. Part of the issue is that my agency would have to sign off on it's release and I believe they have the right to make changes if they so choose.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.