countdown towards doing 300-209 SIMOS exam

craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
hi all,

got the big day coming up on may 2nd at 9am to tackle this.

so was wondering what other people did before there countdown?

i am planning on continuing labbing and watching training videos on skillsoft again.

Thanks all.
Currently Studying: CCNP Security
300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
300-208 - TBC
300-210 - TBC

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally I'll just keep labbing everything and skim through all the PDFs I have saved (you know, since there's no books for 3/4 of these exams) to ensure nothing jumps out as something I don't remember.

And you REALLY need to update you signature. icon_cool.gif
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Out of curiosity, what made you deviate from CCNP R/S to Security? And good luck with your exam, I got ROUTE coming up somewhere in the near future, pushed it out a month myself after using a couple different test engines and finding a lot of things that I learned but hadn't "wr mem"d to my brain ;)
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Good luck! I'm about to deep dive into VPN myself. Probably my weakest subject. Hope you're able to secure that pass!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what made you deviate from CCNP R/S to Security? And good luck with your exam, I got ROUTE coming up somewhere in the near future, pushed it out a month myself after using a couple different test engines and finding a lot of things that I learned but hadn't "wr mem"d to my brain ;)

mainly because of my job required me to work with firewalls more.

Thank you all for the advice
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
    sadly no pass today i scored 709 so have rebooked exam for next Tuesday. do you think that be too soon?
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That sucks man! icon_sad.gif

How did you feel about the content on the exam? I would say that if there were a few questions or objectives that were questionable to you, then one week of intense study would be fine. However, if you were guessing on quite a few questions, or unsure of a lot of the content, then I would probably wait a bit longer. I don't know what the cut score is for passing, but you could calculate how close you were. If it's not too far off, I would go for it.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
    Id take the blue print point by point, and how much that section is worth, and really determine what areas are least percentage that you can take a loss in or try to get everything on there.

I pushed mine out a month because looking at the blueprint, even though I had labbed and learned so much, I still have so much to deep dive into its ridiculous. Just took a nap after work so I could get into a whole new topic of study tonight x_x blehhh

Good luck with your next attempt, I think signing up for 1 week later is fine as long as you use that time inbetween to do more than be glum about the Fail which it sounds like you wont :)
    The exam had a few surprises in there for me but in reality makes sense with hindsight. i worked out i had roughly 8 questions to get a pass mark.

i have not done a Cisco exam for a while so this has got me in the mood to go back and kick its ass.

I do feel like this was the right choose in choosing this subject because of the knowledge is invaluable.

hope ande has some luck :) what are you studying for?

thank you for all your advice so far :)
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
    I am studying ROUTE, finished one video series and felt I had a good foundation, but took a practice exam, and it just kicked my ass.

What really burned me was it seems like with CCNA it was a one sentence "Which one of these commands would configure such and such?" Then you'd have a short one line answers to choose from and the labs were unbelievably easy.

When I took the practice INE exam, it was like the question was 2 sentences, one identifying the devices you are working with and the other identifying the exact objective from the monster Topology. Each answer what also 1 very long to 2 sentences long.

Right now I'm going over the blueprint and if I say "Huh?" when I see a subject I google the **** out of it until I understand it, I am only going for areas I tested weak in and learning the new ones as fast as possible.

The thing I found is necessary, is the focus to extract the necessary information as quickly as possible, so you can start reading the Topology to answer as quickly as possible. Thankfully I've labbed it so hard a lot of the stuff I've retained so now I'm taking a month to fill gaps / practice test / fill gaps for exam day.

Its been crunch time the last month to retain the knowledge I have (and find time to review the material I started with), along with learning the blueprint material that fell through the cracks, at this point I just assume I will go to bed about every night with a headache and wake up with one too until exam day.

ROUTE is just so much material, I told my coworker today I was studying for ROUTE exam, and he asked what **** I was using to study and o-m-g did my blood start boiling :)
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I told my coworker today I was studying for ROUTE exam, and he asked what **** I was using to study and o-m-g did my blood start boiling :)

Good grief... did you thank him for helping Cisco with the recent price increases? :-/
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    Good grief... did you thank him for helping Cisco with the recent price increases? :-/

Yeah i did notice the price increase. there is a slight plus side when retaking this exam i got a auto 15% discount... but still the exam prices are very expensive lol
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
    I passed by skin of my teeth this time around :)
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
    AWESOME!! What's next?
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    AWESOME!! What's next?

I am unsure actually.

I would love to do 300-210 but need to upgrade my lab for that one and i think 300-208 i need to vm some Cisco products moving forward.

so might wait it out and see what work has installed for me next or i might do a vmware exam since thats coming very relevant with virtual networking.

Ultimately i am unsure with timescales or what but will be taking a break though :)
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Congratulations on your pass! I'd imagine with 4 separate exams a pass after 2 is in order! Great to hear when someone gets the Pass grade they grind for :D
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm working on this exam now. What materials did you use to study?
  • newbie.ccnpnewbie.ccnp Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

Anyone recently passed the exam? Please help to provide some tips and any additional questions please? Thank you so much :)
  • boutaibiboutaibi Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have next 2 week exam of simos , please i have some info .
    how many question i will expect
    what is de passing score
    hoe many simulation are
    and extra info if you have