Continue to CCNP or CCNA refresh?

SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got my CCNA RS and CCNA Security in 2015, went on to work for a large MSSP/Managed security provider and eventually took on a role as security engineer. I've been working as a security engineer for two years now and recently transferred from Security back to a network design based team/role. I have a couple certs under my belt and have been heavily involved with vendor security certs but now want to go for the cisco route again. Not sure if I should just continue to CCNP R/S or work on a CCNA refresh first?

Right now, I'm actually reviewing the CCNA information and going from there. The topics, are familiar and I'm able to easily understand once I re-read and watch the videos. As far as why I haven't kept studying with the networking/routing world, well mostly because my job never called for it and I wasn't needed to actually use ospf, bgp, or eigrp in my role, Most routing I've done was complex vpns, mpls, some switching.. Once again, not dedicated routing/switching type of role and more security for the past two years

As far as why I went into a networking role again, the pay is a lot better and the company is a lot bigger. Figure I'll give it a try and see where it goes. Some things about me I advanced pretty well at the MSSP I worked at previously, and got to work on a lot of different technologies, vendors, and projects. These days, I'm trying to regain my competitive edge with going towards the CCNP.

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think if you have enough time left on your CCNA, you should just go for CCNP. By passing one of the exams, it will renew everything else. No sense in spending the extra money on a cert you already have, unless you were severely running out of time.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually not sure what I'm going to do at this point, recently contacted for another security engineer position so interviews are lined up for next week. Either way, its a good thing to look for work when employed and needed..
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually not sure what I'm going to do at this point, recently contacted for another security engineer position so interviews are lined up for next week. Either way, its a good thing to look for work when employed and needed..

Have you thought about taking the CCNA Security? It's a win-win, you recert and you also get a little bit more knowledge in the security realm related to your new role.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dontstop wrote: »
    Have you thought about taking the CCNA Security? It's a win-win, you recert and you also get a little bit more knowledge in the security realm related to your new role.

Might be an option for sure, I've taken the older exam and passed. I would need to study a little bit for the new ccna sec, and go from there however, I'll wait and see before I tackle security certs again
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd agree with CCNA Security, easier than any other option, then you can move onto CCNP R/S if you want to network as most courses I've seen start off with fundamentals (where you should have left off even in 2015) with the CCNA R/S.

Good luck!
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security then CCNP R&S
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...