Have you ever gone back?

MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
I couldn't think of a topic title that would fit better, so please forgive me on that one!

My career has shifted to be more security focused (currently working as a Security Analyst) so these days I don't do a whole lot of network engineering (except when I get loaned out to internal projects to assist) but I remember wanting my CCNP so bad I couldn't stand it. My last job pushed really hard for me to get Juniper and Dell certifications, so I never got the chance to go back and get it. My current position doesn't push certifications at all, so I am free to study and take what I want. The downside is, my old job paid for certifications while the new one doesn't.

I have thought a lot about going back to get my CCNP even though I am no longer in that field specifically, just to prove to myself I can do it and to have it. To be clear though, it wouldn't be just on paper - my engineering work was on the NP and above level (senior engineer). The certification wouldn't interfere with my current study plans (Cyber Ops -> eCPPT -> OSCP) but would be taken afterwards.

So my question here is - have you ever went back to get a certification just because you wanted it? Not because it would benefit your current career path but because it was something you wanted but never had the time to do.

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well no matter what you decide, doing the CCNP switch at the least would be a natural given in order to renew your CCNA.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are some goals I've had for a long time, and I think the older a goal gets, the more romantic the notion of achieving it becomes, whether for nostalgia's sake or because it's been a part of your life for so long. But what I've realized is sometimes a goal that would have been great to achieve 10 years ago would actually become a negative thing if pursued now. We only have so much time in each day, and new goals and opportunities present themselves all the time. If we spend too long chasing the past, we miss out on the present, and we end up in a terrible cycle of always trying to play catch-up with ourselves.

If you were rich and bored and had nothing else to do with your day, I'd say go after your CCNP, and while you're at it, your CCIE. But you have current study plans, as you said, of Cyber Ops, eCPPT, and OSCP. And by the time you finish those, who knows what other opportunities may have presented themselves? Maybe you'll want to go for OSCE then.

I suppose my point is don't overwhelm yourself with goals of the past unless it makes good practical sense to still go after them. Practical in the sense that they'll help you with your current career, or practical in that you really have nothing better you could be doing (and that's almost never the case). Time moves forward, and if you try too hard to go back, you'll spend too much energy swimming against the current.

At the end of the day, only you know what really makes sense for your life, though.
  • dialecticaldialectical Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you only need a small margin of studying to fill in the gap for the CCNP I would. Every IT discipline should have use and appreciation for CCNP skills.

However, I personally had to decide to back away from this exam despite spending thousands on study materials and labs. Reason was that it was taking me away from my more important immediate goals to get advanced VMware certifications and also finish school.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Priorities, finish the ones that will help you the most in your current career path first (eCPPT, OSCP).

Then when (and if) you find that you have extra free time, do the CCNP and maybe add in some AWS for fun
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are some goals I've had for a long time, and I think the older a goal gets, the more romantic the notion of achieving it becomes, whether for nostalgia's sake or because it's been a part of your life for so long.
    You comments really resonated with me. For me, I also find that it can be self-defeating if I dwell on it.

@Mooseboast - as others have indicated - there is a practical side. But that said - for me - I enjoy technology so it's also part hobby. I probably would do it for the sake of self-satisfaction and intellectual curiosity.
    Mooseboast wrote:
    So my question here is - have you ever went back to get a certification just because you wanted it?
    Absolutely, I am going to do the AWS certs just for fun. And I may do the OSCP as well later in the year.
  • nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish I would have actually. I was one exam away from getting my MCSA 2003 certification, it was the dreaded 70-291 exam, literally kicked my tail 3 times in a year, I eventually gave up. When I found out they were going to retire the exam in 2013, I almost signed up to take the exam, as with an extra 7 years of experience I would have slayed the exam. Now, it still kind of bugs me I didn't take it.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    The truth is I dont remember everything especially that I dont lab as much as before. I went too deep in Wireless and Security that I have to refresh my RS side. The side that I dont see every damn day. Im just going back not for the cert but just to read and lab.
    Also, i formatted my computer that I loss my notes. Note to self. Always save your notes no matter what.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I feel the same way about the CCNA RS/S. It would have been helpful in a far past job, as well as a job I had 2014-2016 as a Sr Security Engineer. So I've really wanted the CCNA RS for over a decade now. It has ZERO use for me currently, but I still want it so bad. I think after my run of certs related to my current job (CISM, CISA, PMP) I may at least do CCENT. I'm just worried that taste will only push me to want more in the Cisco realm...
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would say if there are any certs that would have an immediate impact on your career, go with those first but if there are none, go for the CCNP. Just because you dont use the knowledge in your current job shouldnt deter you away from it...learning is fun and this cert may help you in the future.
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for the CCNP. But, since you're in more of a security role now, have you thought about going for the CISSP?
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 for the CCNP. But, since you're in more of a security role now, have you thought about going for the CISSP?

I have put some thought into it but don't want to pull the trigger on it yet. I am hoping since I work in the Gov space that eventually my employer will be open to paying for the CISSP or SANS - so I am holding off on those because right now it would be out of pocket.

I am glad to see I am not the only one who feels nostalgic to certain certifications. I'll probably add it to the docket for this year and knock it out. Hopefully they don't decide to raise the price again for awhile.
  • D113D113 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel nostalgic about A+. Studied for it briefly in 2006, and again in 2008, but never took the exams. Eventually picked back up with Security+ in 2012 and skipped over A+. I keep telling myself that I will get it one day.
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    Certification needs change as we move through our career. For instance I let VCP lapse as I simply do not work in the space as often these days (not as an admin, at least). But if I want to move back into that space, I will consider getting the certificate again.