Masters in PenTesting

Captain_DeadpoolCaptain_Deadpool Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
For anyone interested:

DEGREE

Pentesting focus

I know a lot of people here praise WGU, and i have heard great things about it as well. BUT ITS ALWAYS NICE TO HAVE SOME CHOICES!

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know a lot of people here praise WGU, and i have heard great things about it as well.

Yea, that it is cheap and fast :P

Honestly I don't know if any pentesting company is really gonna care if you have a Master's degree with a Pen Testing focus. Those places are really just concerned about what skills you show them you have. If you have an OSCP that is nice, but otherwise, they don't really care about certs/degrees. At least from people I've talked to that work at them.
  • Captain_DeadpoolCaptain_Deadpool Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lol.

Oh i know!

I'm a constant learner. I enjoy going to school, and i am fortunate enough to get it paid for (majority). I plan on getting a a couple masters throughout my time on the planet.. Not worried about ROI, not worried about anything else.. just want to have it for the achievement. Though i plan i gettin OSCP after i finish my current eCPPT studies icon_tongue.gificon_tongue.gificon_tongue.gif
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My concern is that this is a little too specialized for something as foundational as a what a college degree should be. Yes, pen testing and infosec in general is hot and will likely continue to be so for the forseeable future.

However we don't know that as a fact. Imagine looking back on your Masters Degree in Web 2.0 or maybe your Masters Degree in Search Engine Optimization that you earned back in 2007.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Hah, are those real things?
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pen testing seems like one of those fields where a degree in said subject would be unhelpful and possibly invite ridicule. It would be like going to baseball tryouts and telling the coach you're qualified because you just finished your degree in baseball.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Isn't an MS in CS and info systems with a specialization in ethical hacking? It's a few classes vs an entire degree on one topic.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    My concern is that this is a little too specialized for something as foundational as a what a college degree should be. Yes, pen testing and infosec in general is hot and will likely continue to be so for the forseeable future.

However we don't know that as a fact. Imagine looking back on your Masters Degree in Web 2.0 or maybe your Masters Degree in Search Engine Optimization that you earned back in 2007.

A hard background in real ground level development would go a much longer way to building real skill in Penetration testing. As for "hot" market I am not seeing anything remotely to be labeled "hot". Lots of layoffs, few actual positions, YoY from 2016.

Oh people like WGU because its easy not because its an outstanding research university. ;)

- b/eads
  • Captain_DeadpoolCaptain_Deadpool Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pentesting is deff a buzz word going around. I wouldn't say Pentesting is a hot market... but....InfoSec is growing, theres no doubt about that.

If a degree means something now, thats what matters. Not what it will mean 10 years from now. If it gets you a into a job that is relevant to now, then the rest will follow throughout your career.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    beads wrote: »
    As for "hot" market I am not seeing anything remotely to be labeled "hot". Lots of layoffs, few actual positions, YoY from 2016.

Eh I don't know that it's that doom and gloom, although each market is local so YMMV. But there's definitely a seeming surplus of folks out there pursuing OSCP and the like, and there are a lot of really qualified and really skilled folks out there to get the non entry level positions that are out there.

I'll just say that it's got me thinking of a different direction for my "backup" skillset...
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    My concern is that this is a little too specialized for something as foundational as a what a college degree should be.

My impression, as well. A "buzzword" degree from an obscure school I barely heard of - sounds to me like they want to capitalize on the job market trends, as much as anything else...ok I looks like it's just a focus track of their Info Systems degree and also involves ethical hacking in the title - I guess the cert companies aren't the only ones trying to profit from the market trend.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is just a theoretical degree, not practical degree. It focuses on Pentesting but it doesnt teach you Pentesting. Just like my computer Science degree it taught me the concepts of programming. There's degrees for everything now.
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    A hard background in real ground level development would go a much longer way to building real skill in Penetration testing. As for "hot" market I am not seeing anything remotely to be labeled "hot". Lots of layoffs, few actual positions, YoY from 2016.

Oh people like WGU because its easy not because its an outstanding research university. ;)

- b/eads

When you work full-time and raise kids there is no time for a traditional 9-5. As much fun as being Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting looks--It's just not a reality for most people.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    get a MBA instead and get certifications in regards to Pen Testing. Don't get a Masters degree with a focus on Pen testing. Degree's are not meant to be that narrow focused. An MBA or a Masters in some type of IT / Engineering will go a further way for you.