Options

Bgp

no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I've been studying for my Route exam and most of the topics are fairly easy to follow because they build off of the CCNA. However, BGP is really killing me. I'm trying to wrap my head around it and I just can't seem to grasp it. I have been using Chris Bryant's CCNP videos and the OCG book. Does anyone have any other material they'd recommend that would really break it down for me?
A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!

Comments

• Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CBT nuggets 642-661 with Jeremy Cioara
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The BGP series on INE is fantastic.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Are there any area's your struggling with? I have each video segment on my wordpress in my sig for complete explanation on any concepts your struggling with, but I'd be happy to help on here with any specific questions on here.

I thought he explained it amazingly well actually, check out my posts and see if they help, thats what they are there for as well as my own panic re-covering of BGP before exam day (on the left column click CCNP - BGP for articles).

They are all kind of massive explanations of each concept, but I get very thorough and clear with explanations that he jams into 10 minute videos.

I literally just finished that entire 20 video series, and I thought it was very clear, so I could probably help with any questions you have regarding it.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BGP is a very large topic and covers whole books. It is not an easy topic from a breadth perspective, but getting to know the basics is best determined by labbing and understanding why each path attribute is relevant, as well as relevant theory including iBGP vs eBGP, peering rules, etc. INE has some good stuff, but BGP isn't like your usual IGP.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    The one thing I had wished is that it would have been tied to IGP's at all in the series, as Chris Bryant presents BGP completely on it's own, so it's almost like configuring an IGP, except routing updates have nothing to do with L3 connectivity when Peering BGP Speakers.

A lot of complicated material it took me awhile and a few watches / rewinds to understand concepts, but labbing it out is the best way to learn it (and anything really). Good luck!
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Granted, it's an older version of the test but BGP hasn't changed much so I could recommend the Kindle version of this book: https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Route-Simplified-William-Browning/dp/0955781574/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492664443&sr=8-1&keywords=CCNP+Route+simplified

It was one of the BEST CCNP series out there a couple versions ago and most of the concepts still hold up. It really helped me with my core understanding of BGP
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What part of BGP is getting you?

I'm coming off the back of my CCNA and I think one of the biggest revelations about what BGP is/how it works is realizing that BGP is more like an application for sharing routes kinda like how we share music/movies via p2p networks. Your IGP's are your source of routes (how did you get hold of the music/movies) and your EGP is the application you use to share the routes (Kazza/Limewire/Napster). You go into Napster (BGP) tell it what music (routes) you want to share and it doesn't care how you got those routes, as long as you have them you'll share them.

The analogy break down very quickly after that, but depending on what you're having trouble wrapping your head around, this gave me a good start.

If you have Safari check out: Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) LiveLessons (Video Training): Safari Books Online

I watched this before I had my CCNA and it kinda made sense even back then, damn Jeff is a good teacher.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, thanks for all the replies! As far as understanding goes, I get the basics on how it works, but when I started to get into the weight and local preferences and just nitty gritty details I just kind of lose it. I used GNS3 and set up a basic BGP lab but I always get stuck and end up giving up. I will have to sift through some of these links, much appreciated everyone!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chris bryants ccnp route book was the source that made me really get BGP. I felt like it explained in a way that a friend would sit down next to you and explain it. After I read his material I was able to go to the white papers to really dig deep and make sense of the explanations.
  • Options
    TonyStarkTonyStark Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with tunerX
    CBT nuggets 642-661 with Jeremy Cioara. That guy is amazingly fun and it's impossible not to understand.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Granted, it's an older version of the test but BGP hasn't changed much so I could recommend the Kindle version of this book: https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Route-Simplified-William-Browning/dp/0955781574/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492664443&sr=8-1&keywords=CCNP+Route+simplified

It was one of the BEST CCNP series out there a couple versions ago and most of the concepts still hold up. It really helped me with my core understanding of BGP

HA! This is exactly what I was going to recommend as well. I made sure I did all the labs in the back of the book multiple times as well as marked off any area inside the chapter content I thought I could spin into a good lab.

BGP is a beast though! CCNP really doesn't go extremely deep into it but does offer a good amount of content to get you rolling.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    no!all! wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for all the replies! As far as understanding goes, I get the basics on how it works, but when I started to get into the weight and local preferences and just nitty gritty details I just kind of lose it. I used GNS3 and set up a basic BGP lab but I always get stuck and end up giving up. I will have to sift through some of these links, much appreciated everyone!

One step at a time, just setup a basic peering and then advertise a few routes. After you're comfortable with that and all of the related output, tweak local-preference and other things to see how it affects the flow.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One step at a time, just setup a basic peering and then advertise a few routes. After you're comfortable with that and all of the related output, tweak local-preference and other things to see how it affects the flow.

This ^^^^