Cyber Security books for beginners

Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
What do you guys suggest a book for cyber security, that aim at beginners? I thinking getting a masters in cyber security but I taking this 6 month course to get some certs. I want to get a head start in cyber security. It doesn't necessary have to be text book, it could be any book. Thanks everybody

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start with Darril Gibson's Security+ book.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Counterhack Reloaded
  • Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everybody. I purchased ccna cyber ops book. Hopefully I will have time to study.
  • MouratovMouratov Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone share this books pleaseeeeeee
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mouratov wrote: »
    Can anyone share this books pleaseeeeeee

Just buy your own copies. Sure, books can be expensive, but it's worth investing some money in your education, especially if it means a boost to your career.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ryan9764 wrote: »
    Hopefully I will have time to study.

HOPEFULLY??? That is not the attitude we like to see here!
  • bEastCoastbEastCoast Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know I have told it hundreds of time, but Safari Books Online, is one the best investment you can do in your career. 39$/month (or cheaper annually). Then you get almost every book published, and a tons of nice training video. That the equivalent of 1 book per month and you get them "all". It is perfect to read on the go, you can do search across the library and so on. You can jump around 3 books for the same subject and just pick what is interesting for you.

Well, I am an happy customer since 2012..
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    +1 on Safari Books. I am spoiled by a free subscription from my employer but would gladly pay for it if I ever leave. Well, if they change the password that is icon_smile.gif
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you go to ACM.org and sign up for their membership, it will cost you $99/annually. It includes Safari Books Online.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    +1 on Safari Books. I am spoiled by a free subscription from my employer but would gladly pay for it if I ever leave. Well, if they change the password that is icon_smile.gif

Yepppp, I'm paying for this out of pocket. (employer said they plan to start reimbursing me... we'll see) But I definitely enjoy Safari Books! I really like their live learning sessions they have going now too. Wish more were during the evenings instead of during work hours. But is what it is.
    stryder144 wrote: »
    If you go to ACM.org and sign up for their membership, it will cost you $99/annually. It includes Safari Books Online.

So do you or anyone else have this membership?? Is it full access to Safari Books Online and Skillsoft? This deal looks pretty insane...
    I used to have the membership but have let it lapse. Since I have never had full access from another entity (like work, for instance), I could not compare it to see if they are identical or not.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Master DelgadoMaster Delgado Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you know that Texas A&M's Engineering school offers a free online cybersecurity basics course? If you have time, take a look:

https://teex.org/Pages/Program.aspx?catID=607
    Gotcha, thanks Stryder. I'll probably be buying the AMC membership in a couple weeks to test it out. My Safari membership expires then and I wouldn't mind saving about $400 a year!
    Gotcha, thanks Stryder. I'll probably be buying the AMC membership in a couple weeks to test it out. My Safari membership expires then and I wouldn't mind saving about $400 a year!

No doubt, let us know if there are any differences.

• jcole4lsujcole4lsu Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I signed up with AMC last night, still haven't received a confirmation email from them though. Not the best look for a technology centric group.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $99 is a steal for access to Safari and Skillsoft. Does anyone know if practice exams are included?

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    So do you or anyone else have this membership?? Is it full access to Safari Books Online and Skillsoft? This deal looks pretty insane...
    I'm a current ACM member with access to Safari Books and Skillsoft, and yes, it is full access. Totally worth it - the inclusion of training videos really puts Safari over the top and makes the ACM membership more than worth it.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    I'm a current ACM member with access to Safari Books and Skillsoft, and yes, it is full access. Totally worth it - the inclusion of training videos really puts Safari over the top and makes the ACM membership more than worth it.

Sweet!! Thank you! This is a crazy deal that more people need to be aware of icon_cheers.gif
    dmoore44 wrote: »

Thank you for letting us know! That is awesome. I think I might sign up again, knowing that.

• jcole4lsujcole4lsu Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Quick update- signed up Thursday, received confirmation Sunday. Safari selection of books and learning material alone is worth the annual membership fee. Skillsoft is down for maintenance right now, but I'll be looking at their offerings later this week.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a paid-for Safari Books subscription and I love how many resources I have access to. That said, the site's formatting kind of sucks. It's not particularly touch friendly, sometimes the text rendering is a little screwy, and it's probably just me--but I have the hardest time reading any books beyond a few pages simply because there are no page numbers. Videos aside, I mostly use the site as a way to preview a book and then I'll just pay for it on Amazon or through Packt, even though it is available for free.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    yoba222...I was going to post something similar and see that you beat me to it.

Did you know that Texas A&M's Engineering school offers a free online cybersecurity basics course? If you have time, take a look:

https://teex.org/Pages/Program.aspx?catID=607

Does anyone know how many CEUs two ACE credits will translate into? The first course appears to be five hours long and you need to complete all four courses to get the credits.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

Does anyone know how many CEUs two ACE credits will translate into? The first course appears to be five hours long and you need to complete all four courses to get the credits.
    I believe you get one credit for each hour of training for CEU purposes. ACE credits are based on the semester system, so their credits don't translate directly.

$75 for the ACM membership now: https://campus2.acm.org/public/qj/keep_inventing/qjprofm_control.cfm?promo=DA4SCA

I also will buy some books from Amazon if I really want to use them alot. But most of time I will just read the books on Safari on my iPad Pro. Formatting seems decent on the their app they have.

I just used that link and signed up and can verify you get full access to SafariBooksOnline with it. I was able to get verified and signed in to everything within about 20 minutes of payment.
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I believe you get one credit for each hour of training for CEU purposes. ACE credits are based on the semester system, so their credits don't translate directly.
    Am I alone in finding the CompTIA CEU system confusing? I'm looking at a completion certificate for one of the cybersecurity courses at Texas A&M Engineering Extension Program. It says thirteen hours and underneath that it says 1.3 CEUs Earned. Which do I enter into CompTIA when I upload this certificate?