Network+ student Struggling to Pass

Stevejun1986Stevejun1986 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Afternoon/Evening/Morning to everyone!

About 2 weeks ago, I took the N10-006 exam thinking I had everything covered and knew all I needed to pass. Boy was I wrong! I walked out with a piece of paper with "Student Score: 454."

This comes after 1 year +/- of on/off studying, utilizing ProfessorMesser, Mike Meyers' Network+ Exam Guide, Cybrary.it, and CompTIA Network+ N10-006 Practice Test Questions (GetCertifiedGetAhead) Kindle edition.

I find increasing trouble with objectives 1.2, 1.4, 1.7, 2.4, 2.6, 4.3, 4.5, and 4.8. Could be considered some type of learning block? icon_sad.gif

My goal is to re-take the exam in June this year. Would anyone care to share their study habits?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Consistency and repetition is key.

Last year I passed my first IT exam first time with 3 months of hard study. I was doing 2 hours a day during weekdays and sometimes more on weekends.

But before those 3 months I was studying on and off for 6 months, an hour now and then. It didn't help because I've already forgotten the material.

I used plenty of resources and review each section. I also researched topics on the Internet to learn more.

Take some practice tests and review your incorrect answers.
  • jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think you are alone to retake this test again; so do I when I took it before and I believed many others too...test is never easy as we expected to pass at a first try unless you are having some lucks that it is a good day you received a test you can tell all the knowledge/concept you learned book then you will get it. So don't give up keep going and going you will pass it. Just maintain your time, be clear to the question asking, don't be too rush...and don't be too slow.

Good luck!
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Possible cause could be the studying on and off throughout that year. If you are consistent and study everyday or.. ok let's say you give yourself one day off every week, you should have everything fresh in your head. I find that whenever I take longer breaks from studying I tend to forget some things which might be crucial when taking an exam. Net+ is not easy, but if you go through everything and understand each concept/definition then repeat it by taking exams you should get it. One month might be enough time to review everything considering you should know a lot of the material. Study hard and smash it in June!

What I do while studying is next: Read the material and take notes of important things (easier to remember if I take notes).. go over objective list and review topics which you can't identify. Finally do tests and take notes on the wrong answers. GO back and review topics where you are answering wrong.
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    don't let it get you down , every exam is different and the next one could be yours.You might have been super unlucky and hit all the bits you are not that sure of so keep plugging away and study hard for the next 4 weeks til your exam.

As above : go back through your material , if something is mentioned or a term is mentioned several times throughout your material and you can't say what it is exactly, jot it down and google it and understand it.
    a very quick checklist of your own might be useful too i.e
    can i subnet?
    do i know all the well known ports?
    do i know STP and split horizon
    do i know my TIA/EIA wiring
    do i know my tools and their uses
    do i know my cables /distances /speeds etc

try do quizzes from diff sources, the way comptia ask questions on the exam can throw your mind off, so the more unusual the practice tests you do the more prepared you will be for the exam

make a check list if you know bits then you can focus more on things you don't
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Afternoon/Evening/Morning to everyone!

This comes after 1 year +/- of on/off studying

1 year is too long period for study one subject. At the end you wont remember first chapters. Make a break and back to books for max 3 months, summarizing everything you learned in last week.
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah the on/off method doesn't work very well. I did this to just keep a foot in the studying but when i decided to sit for my exams i always studied 3-4 months daily and put more hours during the weekends, consistency of studying is key.
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    you can take mike meyer's course on udemy and you can ask him questions. on udemy they have alot of sales i bought to course for 10 dollars also professor messer has a study group for network plus. a lot of people have said that darril gibson's book and website are very good.