Wireless Router Question

jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
Hi Folks,

Do I have to have a wireless router for my cable modem connected to a desktop computer? Or can I have the cable modem connected to the wireless router and not have the router connected to anything? I will use a laptop to configure the router. I want to get rid of a desktop that is connected to the wireless router and only have laptop computers in the house.

Thanks & Regards,
JB
GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In all of the cases I've seen, you only need a computer physically attached to the wireless router to do the initial setup. After that you don't need it.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    In all of the cases I've seen, you only need a computer physically attached to the wireless router to do the initial setup. After that you don't need it.

Have they started securing the Wireless out of the box now?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:

No, I guess not. I suppose I should have said "this is how I always do it" rather than saying you "need to".
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    No, but I have set up routers that didn't start broadcasting until you went through the setup wizard, in which case you have to be physically cabled to it with something. It all depends on the router, but I never go to a client's house to set up a new router without taking a network cable with me.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Unless there is a dedicated management port, you do not need to have a computer physically cabled to the switch port on a wireless access point to gain access the configuration GUI. The configuration is accessible via a Web browser over the wireless link. The switch ports are only used for attaching non-wireless devices, such as computers, printers, and other switches.

And commercial wireless devices will always come without much security enabled to maximize end-user satisfaction and to prevent tech support calls. We consumers want the devices we purchase to work right out of the box, and hard/software vendors don't want to spend time and money on tech support issues. It's a win/win situation! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Thanks guys. I wasn't completely sure about that one. I am now! bowing.gificon_thumright.gif
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    And commercial wireless devices will always come without much security enabled to maximize end-user satisfaction and to prevent tech support calls. We consumers want the devices we purchase to work right out of the box, and hard/software vendors don't want to spend time and money on tech support issues. It's a win/win situation! icon_rolleyes.gif

Isn't it amazing how everything ALWAYS goes back to the CIA Triad. icon_wink.gif
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    That is because JD is Da Man
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    That would be the Consumers-Income-Acquisitions triad? icon_wink.gif
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    That would be the Consumers-Income-Acquisitions triad? icon_wink.gif
    icon_lol.gif Though that's not what I meant, it certainly sounds accurate!!!!