Happy Thanksgiving!

porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving. Try not to eat too much! :D

Comments

• jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Happy Thanksgiving to all the geeks...... bowing.gifbowing.gifcrash.gif
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last night there was a major glitch with our firewall. I was at work until 9PM, and though the situation is stabilized, it's not yet resolved. I've been in contact with the vendor's SR level support folks who appear baffled and seem to be randomly guessing now. It is looking to be a looonngg "holiday" weekend. They are hinting that I may have to rebuild from scratch. icon_cry.gif

Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving (to our USA members). icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!

It's paid time off and I've baked 2 pies and just put the turkey in the oven--Eatin' Gooood!

Good luck with the firewall situation sprkymrk. Hope you can get out of there early and enjoy the weekend.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Happy Thanksgiving for the Americans. Sorry, we couldnt save any turkeys for you because of how bad the meat would go....

icon_lol.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    janmike wrote:
    Good luck with the firewall situation sprkymrk. Hope you can get out of there early and enjoy the weekend.

Thanks janmike. :)
    I am off today but can't help stressing about it. icon_confused.gif

Right now we have an 18lb turkey in the oven for my family of 4 and 1 guest. We had 4 other guests cancel over the last week. One cancelled a week ago, 2 cancelled last night and one cancelled this morning. They all had legitimate excuses, but still.... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Happy Thanksgiving. I am getting ready to drop the turkey in the deep fryer in about an hour! Its not Thanksgiving unless the Detroit Lions get stomped.

What is the firewall problem?
    garv221 wrote:
    Happy Thanksgiving. I am getting ready to drop the turkey in the deep fryer in about an hour! Its not Thanksgiving unless the Detroit Lions get stomped.

What is the firewall problem?

I remember the best Thanksgiving game was about 25 years ago when the Lions played the Bears in Detroit. Lions were up in the 4th, and fans started leaving early. The Bears came back and tied the game with seconds left on the clock. In overtime, the Bears returned the opening kickoff for a touch down and won the game. Woohoo! icon_cheers.gif

The firewall is a long story. It was supposed to be a simple reboot to apply new license files, but it somehow corrupted the config. I had to do a factory reset and restore a backup from earlier this month, but that didn;t work either. So I did another factory reset, yanked the license files to set it back to a 30 day grace period with unlimited licensing, restored my backup again, and now it's running and appears to be properly passing/blocking traffic, but I no longer have access to the management interface. I can SSH in, but there's a lot you can't do from there, because the firewall uses xml config files to pass to the Apache Tomcat service which is what runs the java management interface. It's a Symantec SGS 5440.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    garv221 wrote:
    Happy Thanksgiving. I am getting ready to drop the turkey in the deep fryer in about an hour!
    Deep fried turkey? Brine it! Brine it! :D

Happy Xgiving all.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go make the traditional French-cut-green-bean and cream-of-mushroom-soup casserole now.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    gobble gobble!!!!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

And if the Detroit and Dallas games suck today, check out the Chiefs and Broncos tonight, should be a good one!
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Well, very glad you have the day away from the problem, sprkymrk. Please do enjoy!

I have a nephew-in-law that deepfries the turkey, garv221. That does make a good bird for sure. And, at this time with 10 left in the 4th quarter, looks like the Lions may be holiday road-kill!

I enjoy my job in IT, but man, it is nice to have a good holiday. Again, have a really great day--everyone!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    And if the Detroit and Dallas games suck today, check out the Chiefs and Broncos tonight, should be a good one!
    Chiefs/Broncos game sucked--unless you are a Chief's fan. The Broncos didn't come to play. The 4th quarter of Dallas/Tampa Bay was sooooooo boring the announcers were running out of small talk. Back to L.A. Lakers basketball tomorrow for me.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Detroit lost in typical fashion, I love it! For Dallas - Terrel Owens needs to learn to talk less and catch better! JD -That sounded like a good meal. The fried turkey was great, brined it in 1lb salt, 1lb of brown sugar & water over night. I hope you got everything squared away sprkymrk, you need to apply my rule of thumb; no changes to systems/networks on Fridays or before Holidays....I have to flash a bios on a Dell Poweredge before noon.
    We buy a clean, 5-gallon paint bucket, wedge a thawed turkey into it (15-18 lbs.), and top it off with a mixture of water, sea salt, orange slices, and pineapple juice. Let sit for 24 hours in a dark, cool garage before throwing into the oven. :D
  • james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Happy belated thanksgiving to all!! I give thanks for our lives. Yesterday we span out of control and flipped twice, off of I45... back tire blew, second tire to blow on a brand new car, less than 10,000 miles... they don't make 'em like they used to!! Anyways, it sure made us give thanks yesterday... icon_lol.gif
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    jdmurray wrote:
    Chiefs/Broncos game sucked--unless you are a Chief's fan.
    Well, I live 45 min. from Kansas City, so yeah I guess I'm a bit biased! You're right though, it wasn't the epic showdown that it should have been, but I'll take it.

james_, glad you're ok!