Lab Time

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
How many hours of lab time does it usually take to complete the CCIE once your done with the CCNP? I'm wondering because on NetworkDojo with the bundle it gives 300 hrs with the bundle, just wondering if that is enough?

Comments

• tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It isn't set in stone or like you are getting hours for your pilots license.

I did about 800 hours of dedicated CCIE labbing over a 6 month period.
  • pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
    I know there's no set number but with wireless, I haven't researched all the equipment because I'm not there yet but I bet it would cost a ton of money to put a lab together. With that being said, the only source that I'm aware for rack rentals for wireless is networkdojo and to have 800 hours of with them $6400. Stuff aint cheap.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Oh yeah. I think the going average for a CCIE these days (prep, travel, materials, bootcamps, etc) is about $10k (lower side) to $15K (more average).

There is a decent reddit thread about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/ccie/comments/684yxo/how_much_did_you_spend_to_get_your_ccie/
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    definitely more than 300 hours. I can say its more than that for me. I got to the point that I was counting and then I got sick of counting the hours.
    Only the person can answer this. Different people, different hours being spent. Im sure some can do it in 300 hours, less or more.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From that reddit thread:

"8000$ - 10,000$ broken out into:

written attempt - 450$
    2 lab attempts - 3,200$
    travel to/from, hotel room, food, beer - 500$
    INE tokens, INE CCIE v4 ATC videos and workbook bundle - 3,000-4,000$ (maybe cheaper now who knows)
    any other training materials (books/VIRL/other vendors stuff/etc) - 1,000-2,000$"

Can't forget to afford for beer lulz.
    @Montague - that's if you're going for R&S. If you're going for a specialty like Voice, Security, Wireless, Data Center, etc - the materials tend to cost more + the rack rental time costs more. It's because there's some aspects that can't be virtualized and there aren't a lot of vendors on the market offering materials. R&S is so cheap because there's so much competition and even then, it ends up being something like $8-10K.

It should also be noted that the OP mentioned Networkdojo so he's going for wireless in all probability. Assuming you get the platinum bundle with all the workbooks + 300 hours of rack time, that's $3499. Since 300 hours isn't enough, you're making a large investment in hardware *or* rack rentals. 12.5 hour of rack rental time == $100 for Network Dojo (INE doesn't do wireless) so if you need 500 more hours of rack time, that's $4,000 more. Not everyone goes to bootcamps but a lot do so if you go to one, that's another $3-5K depending on the vendor. Then you add the travel costs for visiting the lab (x however many attempts you make), bootcamps, etc.

I would definitely say to try to save money where you can but never ever ever be under the impression that getting a CCIE is cheap. It won't be. To give you an idea of what I (or my employers) paid for the first CCIE I did:
    - $3200 on lab exams
    - $500 on the written
    - $2000 for INE rack rentals
    - $3000-something on a package for all the IPX videos and bootcamp
    - $2000 for IPX rack rentals
    - ~$2500 for travel costs to both of my labs
    - $1500 for travel costs to my Tulsa, OK bootcamp with Lunde

And I'm sure there are some additional costs in there but that's about all I'm remembering off the top of my head. It would have sucked to pay that all out of pocket but thankfully, I had some good employers that helped cover the costs
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Iris, thanks for taking the time to type that all out, but I was just focusing on the fact that the person alotted for beer. icon_silent.gif If I ever decide to go for CCIE, the money would be the last thing on my mind. I would be much more concerned with learning all the information that goes with it and the responsibility that probably comes with that higher knowledge level.
    @Montague - My recommendation is installing a USB at the brain stem... that or Ritalin :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • SkyfireSkyfire Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Montague - that's if you're going for R&S. If you're going for a specialty like Voice, Security, Wireless, Data Center, etc - the materials tend to cost more + the rack rental time costs more. It's because there's some aspects that can't be virtualized and there aren't a lot of vendors on the market offering materials. R&S is so cheap because there's so much competition and even then, it ends up being something like $8-10K.

It should also be noted that the OP mentioned Networkdojo so he's going for wireless in all probability. Assuming you get the platinum bundle with all the workbooks + 300 hours of rack time, that's $3499. Since 300 hours isn't enough, you're making a large investment in hardware *or* rack rentals. 12.5 hour of rack rental time == $100 for Network Dojo (INE doesn't do wireless) so if you need 500 more hours of rack time, that's $4,000 more. Not everyone goes to bootcamps but a lot do so if you go to one, that's another $3-5K depending on the vendor. Then you add the travel costs for visiting the lab (x however many attempts you make), bootcamps, etc.

I would definitely say to try to save money where you can but never ever ever be under the impression that getting a CCIE is cheap. It won't be. To give you an idea of what I (or my employers) paid for the first CCIE I did:
    - $3200 on lab exams
    - $500 on the written
    - $2000 for INE rack rentals
    - $3000-something on a package for all the IPX videos and bootcamp
    - $2000 for IPX rack rentals
    - ~$2500 for travel costs to both of my labs
    - $1500 for travel costs to my Tulsa, OK bootcamp with Lunde

And I'm sure there are some additional costs in there but that's about all I'm remembering off the top of my head. It would have sucked to pay that all out of pocket but thankfully, I had some good employers that helped cover the costs

Why did you take a bootcamp? You are a genius! Was it worth it?