Options

changing what you do...

tibultibul Member Posts: 240
This has probably been asked before, but if you need experiance to get into a different part of IT e.g. Cisco networking/security then how would you get into these areas without having experiance first as people say if you dont have experiance then certifications dont really matter.

i ask this as i currently work as a network admin/desktop support with 3 years experiance, which mostly involves administrating microsoft networks/servers etc but no cisco hardware and not much on security.

so the question is how would i switch to another career path without any experiance with cisco or security other than what i learn from studying, doing labs and taking exams.
Studying 70-292.
Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've found that the best way to move up or into different things in the IT field is to shadow people that do what you want to do at work, or get your certs and try to get your hands on real equipment so that you can actually learn what you're doing with hands on lab time.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    well thats what i was wondering if say for example i buy some routers/switches etc so i can have hands on lab experiance with cisco hardware for the ccna, would an employer actually class this as hands on experiance and have a much more chance of employing you.

as there are no cisco guys or security guys at the place i work so i couldent do the shadowing option.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tibul wrote:
    This has probably been asked before, but if you need experiance to get into a different part of IT e.g. Cisco networking/security then how would you get into these areas without having experiance first as people say if you dont have experiance then certifications dont really matter.

i ask this as i currently work as a network admin/desktop support with 3 years experiance, which mostly involves administrating microsoft networks/servers etc but no cisco hardware and not much on security.

so the question is how would i switch to another career path without any experiance with cisco or security other than what i learn from studying, doing labs and taking exams.

I've never worked with Cisco kit either,i have alot of networking experience with Alcatel wan technology but only limited ip experience.Anyway i started the Cisco stuff on the side a while ago, i've got a nice little lab setup and ive progressed through the certs trying to understand everyting along the way rather than memorizing( saying that,i'm still forgetting things here and there but short revision should fix that.) Middle Janurary i will start looking for Cisco work, i havent decided yet to say that i have a home lab or spoof i have had a little more Cisco exposure than i really have,either way it doesnt matter as i know what customers expect and i know what i can offer a new employer.So stay tuned, i will be writing threads regarding interviews i have in mid Jan,Feb.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    that'll be good to hear, i hope it works out for you if it does then it leaves some hope for me as im interested in cisco and security, so im thinking of learning ccna then ccsp.

hopefully then ill be able to change job roles from working with just ms products to working with cisco.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    I hope to hear about your success as well.
    I am trying to make that jump as well from desktop/network support ti network admin. There are a lot of people here looking into network security too