SANS News: Partnership with Education, affordable???

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
Looks like SANS finalised partnership with Education instituions to make the training/certs more affordable and available.

https://www.sans.org/partnership/education?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=House+List&utm_content=Pre+window+REN-ISAC+partenship+SANS+Education+May+11+Invite1&utm_campaign=Aggregate+Buy
"The partnership between SANS and the Research and Education Networking Information Sharing and Analysis (REN-ISAC) draws on the shared mission to ensure that InfoSec practitioners in critical organizations have the skills needed to protect national security and enhance cyber security readiness and response. This program offers both security awareness and online technical training courses to qualifying educational institutions at a substantial cost savings."

I couldn't find prices, but when I clicked I saw this:

[h=3]Available Products[/h]

[TH="class: tableHeading, bgcolor: #1D567D"]Product[/TH]
    [TH="class: tableHeading, bgcolor: #1D567D"]Quantity[/TH]

Certification
    Fee: 689 USD each

Long Course
    Fee: 2,655 USD each

Netwars Continuous
    Fee: 1,760 USD each

Thoughts anyone??
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
      There's no question that providing affordable training to professionals is important for future innovation and protecting companies...currently SANS training is out of reach for a lot of the people doing technical day to day work. If SANS could get accredited, more people might enroll, but they are really more of a vocational institution.
    • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
      That's still ridiculously expensive for most people.
    • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
      I got excited when I saw this...looked into it on their site and got sad. There's a 3 course minimum purchase icon_sad.gif.
    • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
      fabostrong wrote: »
      I got excited when I saw this...looked into it on their site and got sad. There's a 3 course minimum purchase icon_sad.gif.

that just sucks icon_sad.gif
      Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
      10k for 3 courses and 3 exam attempts.
      Studying: GPEN
      Reading
      : SANS SEC560
      Upcoming Exam: GPEN
    • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
      10k for 3 courses and 3 exam attempts.

Sounds pretty cheap when you consider the regular cost is roughly $5,900 minus $400 discount plus $675 exam cost x3, that's $18,525. I wonder how quickly you have to take the three courses? If they have to be used in 1 year by the same person, that's a lot big commitment in time take three courses and obtain the certifications as well.

My guess is sales are starting to level off, if they were still getting as many students as they can handle, there's no way they would be offer "discounted" education.
      Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
      This program is targeted to institutions, not individuals. Pricing is very in line with what they are willing to spend on training.
    • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
      cyberguypr wrote: »
      This program is targeted to institutions, not individuals. Pricing is very in line with what they are willing to spend on training.

Institutions? Like a college? Does the college then turn around and resell the training to students? Or this for employees working for the institution only?
      Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
      It's for the institution's personnel.
      - SANS Aggregate Buy is an exclusive program. Current eligible organizations include Higher-Education as well as State, Local, Territorial and Tribal government agencies
      - This program offers both security awareness and online technical training courses to qualifying educational institutions at a substantial cost savings
      - Eligible organizations use this Partnership Program to allocate technical cybersecurity and security awareness training to their employees, helping them to: Gain access to superior training at highly discounted rates, Curb budget constraints, Make a clear impact on national security, Mitigate institutional liability
      - The Research and Education Networking Information Sharing and Analysis Center (REN-ISAC) and SANS Institute Partnership Program draws on a shared mission to ensure that lnfoSec practitioners in critical organizations have the skills needed to protect national security and enhance cybersecurity readiness and response.