Curiosity regarding 'New' MCSE certs

UKIkarusUKIkarus Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just curious looking at the MCSE: Infrastructure and the cloud, along with the other available options, what do you guys think of this approach by Microsoft? will they be beneficial in the long term?

What value would you people put on said certifications? What do you feel would partner with them well? Where would you aim to go if you had these and wanted to branch out?

If you were an employer, would someone having these hold any value to you? if so why?

What do you guys think would be worth the most from the viewpoint of potential salary? what would you get alongside and why?

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That was a lot of questions icon_wink.gif

Their approach seems fine. Everything is moving to the cloud so they made cloud certifications.

The value of a certification is based on how well someone puts it to use and how much knowledge they retain from getting the certification. Completely independent from each person. If I got the an MCSE: Infrastructure and forgot everything about it, the cert would not mean too much.

Would someone having it hold value? Yes, if they actually knew and remembered the material on it. Experience using it is also a big plus. Why? because I was probably looking for someone who had that specialization in that subject....

Potential salary? Just from a cert? Just having a cert doesn't mean anything in potential salary. I could say 250k as potential salary for any of the certifications, because that is a possibility. But a lot of other factors go into how much your worth.
  • UKIkarusUKIkarus Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That was a lot of questions icon_wink.gif

Their approach seems fine. Everything is moving to the cloud so they made cloud certifications.

The value of a certification is based on how well someone puts it to use and how much knowledge they retain from getting the certification. Completely independent from each person. If I got the an MCSE: Infrastructure and forgot everything about it, the cert would not mean too much.

Would someone having it hold value? Yes, if they actually knew and remembered the material on it. Experience using it is also a big plus. Why? because I was probably looking for someone who had that specialization in that subject....

Potential salary? Just from a cert? Just having a cert doesn't mean anything in potential salary. I could say 250k as potential salary for any of the certifications, because that is a possibility. But a lot of other factors go into how much your worth.

Ok, valid points :) obviously if someone were to braindump said exams they wouldn't hold much value if as you say they don't retain any of the information associated with it.

With regards to the salary, I was more curious as to where people would aim to go, after having said certificates would more people look into infrastructure? would they focus on networking? would they go towards Azure/AWS and the cloud? PaaS IaaS SaaS? throw in a bit of Linux? which parts would they focus on and why? just trying to gauge what people generally think of the market, where it is now and where they see it in 5-10 years?

Would this be a good stepping stone towards getting a foothold in whatever becomes the future of IT?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From a value perspective, MS appears to be moving from certifications that highlight a particular version of their software to categories. For instance, if I I put down that I had an MCSA: Windows 1.0, you would know that I was comfortable with obsolete technology. If I put down that I was MCSA: Windows Desktop Operating System Administration (Active), then you would know that even if my first MCSA was in Windows 1.0 I was keeping up with the progress of technology. Seems to me to be a better approach.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me