Newbie intro and glad to be here!

BeachGirlBeachGirl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all! So happy to have found this forum! I am a geek and love learning. I am a true believer in there will always be something for me to learn because no one ever knows it all. I am an Air Force vet (computer career) with 3 yrs service. I achieved a Computer Science Bachelor's Degree in Computer studies from UMUC. I have worked as a web designer, tech support & email administrator for an internet company, a database assistant for a magazine & warehouse, and even owned my own graphic design & website business for awhile. My most recent job was a project coordinator for electronic banking for a holding company that owned 2 banks on one core system. I was the first to hold that position and as such had to create all the documentation, develop a database for enhancements & problems, protocols, standards & testing procedures (they had relied solely on vendors before I arrived). I had to coordinate not only with the two banks but also the vendors...ensuring that whatever enhancement or fix one bank wanted did not interfere with the operation of the other bank on the same core banking system. I also was involved with the core banking system upgrade and ensuring it operated correctly and had been thoroughly tested (even writing test scripts and creating test groups) before it was released. They also took advantage of my background & had me create their logo & website, create marketing, and act as assistant IT security. I ended up giving up my career because I fell in love with a military man and someone had to sacrifice to make that work. I followed him around and took care of our son after he was born. Now fast forward to now...my hubby is set to retire in a year, my son will be heading into 2nd grade, and I have the post 9/11 GI Bill availble to pursue a graduates degree. I know how imperative it is to be current in the technology field and I am very aware I have been out of it for too long. That is why I am here...seeking knowledgeable advise from knowledgeable people. I am at a crossroads of starting over but not as young as I was...any and all advice is well appreciated. I need help to determine where I will go from here and how I will get there. As it stands...I feel blinded by all the options and need help narrowing it down to the best options. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forum Beach Girl!

What parts of IT interest you? I think with your vast background it wouldn't be hard to find a It position.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have the 9/11 GI Bill and you are interested in security, my honest opinion would be to go for the SANS Master's degree

They are accredited and also give you very well known and highly sought after certifications for the IT Security field!

https://www.sans.edu/academics/masters-programs/msism
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Welcome!!!icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    If you have the 9/11 GI Bill and you are interested in security, my honest opinion would be to go for the SANS Master's degree

They are accredited and also give you very well known and highly sought after certifications for the IT Security field!

https://www.sans.edu/academics/masters-programs/msism

If InfoSec is one of your areas of interest, then I second this! That degree is pretty much out of reach for everyone that doesn't have GI Bill or their company paying for it.

But the key will be to decide what it is you want to do. Systems, networking, programming, security are the major ones.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, since you are a Veteran, while you are waiting for your husband to retire, you can be sharpening those skills with the FedVTE (https://fedvte.usalearning.gov/) which is free IT/Security training available to all honorably discharged vets (and others). And welcome to the forum
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • BeachGirlBeachGirl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the warm welcomes! That is one of the hard parts...picking just one thing on interest because they all held interest for me...so trying to narrow it down. Trying to use job demand, income, and maybe either portable or something I can do from anywhere (even home if needed...I have a little paranoia about portability since I have moved alot).

Also, I feel I need to refresh myself for the job market since I have been out of the workforce for years and we all know how fast tech fields evolve. I figured it would help me to get a graduate degree & certs to help bring me up to date and make me more appealing in the job market despite my years not working. The one thing I cannot stand in a job is mindless repetitivity...it will drive me nuts *lol*...so I know what I cannot stand. I like learning new things...in fact I think I like it too much hence having a hard time narrowing it down now.

Thank you for the SANS & FedVTE info! I knew you guys would be a great source of info!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Since you got your Bachelors in Computer Science, do you have an interest in that area still? If so, I'd recommend taking a look at Georgia Tech's Online MS in Computer Science. I think the whole thing is like $6k, and GT has one of the most well known and highly regarded MSCS degrees in the world. Check it out here https://www.omscs.gatech.edu.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Glad to meet you BeachGirl. Hope you enjoy tech exams as much as I do, the people here are great.icon_thumright.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Hello fellow vet and beach bum.

Since you are a Vet, have a go that this free resource for us. It might take 2 weeks to get your login, but you can read online security book that has been published.

Safari Books Online - Premium - Home
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    BeachGirl wrote:
    That is one of the hard parts...picking just one thing on interest because they all held interest for me...so trying to narrow it down.
    I relate to this too much. It's so difficult to choose. There are so many areas that interest me. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the community! Lot of good advice in this forum. Hopefully it will help guide you to the next steps in your career.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi and welcome! I can relate to your story. I too took time off to have kids and support my husband's career before reentering the IT field. (I was in network design and consulting formerly.) I think the more you get back into the field the more you will figure out what you really want to do. For example, if you like web design join a web design group and see how it feels, or if you think you might like programming join a Phyton group, etc. I think just taking the first step will help guide you.

Also, although I'm not military, I do live in a town that has a huge military footprint. I'm not sure what it 's like in your area, but I know that where I am they have a lot of support for former military reentering the workforce. They even have companies that will train and mentor you along the way. Keep asking what might be available in your area for someone wanting to reenter the work force.