Passed eJPT just now.

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I will write more tomorrow because I am exhausted right now. Took the exam earlier today, all in all about 10 hours because of some issues with Kali. I got frustrated trying to figure out why some tools where not working so I just took my chances and moved on. Was trying to get 20/20 but because of the issues with Kali, I got 17/20. That's 85%. Even though I'm tired, I am very happy to have taken this exam. I learned a lot. More details tomorrow.

Comments

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job. Congrats!
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Great job. Congrats!

Thanks man! This was a lot of fun.

I have to start by giving a big thank you to @xxxkaliboyxxx for giving me an invite code to free barebone module of the exam. AfterI had finished with it, I signed up for the Elite version and read the PDF's again, watched the videos and did some more watching of the videos. I started this ejPT journey at the beginning of January so all in all I spend 5 months on it, watching videos of and off during my commute and labbing on the weekends for about 2-3 hours in the morning.

For labbling I used the Hera labs, and did all of them( 1 per week) so about 12 weeks of labbing. In between i build my own lab with 1 attacker and 1 victim machine keeping it simple.

One important tip that I want to give is to keep notes during your labs as you might need them during the exam, for me they helped a lot. Before you start make sure your attacker machine, the machine you will be using for your exam is setup properly and is updated. Test all the tools before you start, once you start there is no going back on time.

I started the exam by doing a lot of enumeration on the network and was able to answer few questions just from the simple enumeration. However, then I got stuck because I couldnt get any further and spend about 2 hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Then I felt that I have not been provided enough information I logged to the site and found the rules of engagement lol. I was so excited to start that I had completly forgotten about the rules. After reading the rules and the scope the rest of the questions starting making sense on what to do next. I was keeping track of the questions/answers as I was doing the lab and submitted them all at once.

I had some issues relating to Kali and some relating to my own lab configuration. During my own lab time, I had forgotten to remove some important settings that were required in order to see certain traffic. Spend another 1 hour trying to figure out why my setup was not working. I figured out what setting i had forgotten and after clearing that, I was able to answer some other question.

I had 1 big issue with Kali itself, it appears that 1 tool that is required to get some information, is no longer working properly in Kali, there is a bug I think. I wasted a lot of time typing the same commands over and over expecting to get a results, making sure I was not doing any typo. Then I found a work around to get some info but I think the answer relating to this question I got wrong. I will have to go back to my machine and test this again. So make sure your Kali is update and the tools you are going to use are working properly so you wont get stuck.

All in all, this was a good experience and it is a very good hands-on exam. I learned a lot in the process and I enjoyed it. I'm not sure what I would do next but will be keeping my eyes open and doing some more exercises I think. I still have a 50 hours and 54 minutes left out of 60 hours that i had in Hera labs so I hope they add some new labs for me to use my time. This will also satisfy my CISSP CPE's so that is good.

One thing that I didnt like was that on the eJPT certificate itself they have this comment at the bottom that says "Recommended for 10 CPE credits" I dont think this info is necessary to be placed in a certificate, i think it takes away from the value of the certification when you put things like that on it.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on your the pass! Your write up inspired me and I just did the upgrade from barebones to Elite version. After my CISA I may skip PMP and go right into pentesting stuff.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Well done! eLearnSecurity courses are top notch!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• DarkmanX-DarkmanX- Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I really hope eLearn's courses begin to garner much respect in the community and hiring officials.(not saying it doesn't). There courses are great and I thoroughly enjoyed eJPT. I purchased eCPPT and still have access to it but sat in on the back-burner for GCIH and Splunk courses for my current job.
    Thanks all! To tell you the truth, I did this certificate so I can better understand the various hacking stages and get some hands on experience witg the tools. Any additional benefits such as more opportunities is a plus. It was definitely an excellent step learning and knowledge wise for someone already in IT without prior direct pen testing experience.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats!

Did you find the Elite package worth it over the Full? It's $100 more, which isn't bad or out of my range, but I don't like buying things that aren't really worth the additional cost (missed out on the NES Classic because I refused to pay more than MSRP!). This one is definitely on my list of goals for this year (and the OSCP is for 2018, hopefully).
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends. Treat it how you would something like the OSCP. If you can dedicate the time now then no not really worth the cash. If you're like me and have a lot on your plate then yes. There's no time limit on the Elite package and helpful for me.
    PC509 wrote: »
    Congrats!

Did you find the Elite package worth it over the Full? It's $100 more, which isn't bad or out of my range, but I don't like buying things that aren't really worth the additional cost (missed out on the NES Classic because I refused to pay more than MSRP!). This one is definitely on my list of goals for this year (and the OSCP is for 2018, hopefully).
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    PC509 wrote: »
    Congrats!

The material are the same for the Full and the Elite. You still get the same knowledge. The reason I upgraded to the Elite was because of the 3 free retakes. Being my first hands on pen testing certifications I wanted to be sure that if I failed the first time, I'd have the free re-takes. If you have experience aleady, the Full is fine too. I still have over 50 hours left from the Elite plan, only used 10 hours of lab time.
  • Captain_DeadpoolCaptain_Deadpool Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I was a little overwhelmed by the exam and had to take it over the course of two days. Was so happy when i saw the pass screen.

eLearnSecurity doesn't get enough credit. Their exams are some of the best out there. I am currently going through the eCPPT material to help for C|EH, and then hard charge onto eCPPT!
    Congrats on the pass! I was a little overwhelmed by the exam and had to take it over the course of two days. Was so happy when i saw the pass screen.

eLearnSecurity doesn't get enough credit. Their exams are some of the best out there. I am currently going through the eCPPT material to help for C|EH, and then hard charge onto eCPPT!

You should be ready to pass CEH with the knowledge you currently have.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass! I'm planning to take the exam in June. Your comments and all of the others here are really helpful.
  • monkeychildmonkeychild Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I already have UK based pen testing qual and I am working towards OSCP. My company are providing me with an elite package to assess, for them to use as a learning package(it's cheaper than the Tigerscheme) . What are the labs like?
    I already have UK based pen testing qual and I am working towards OSCP. My company are providing me with an elite package to assess, for them to use as a learning package(it's cheaper than the Tigerscheme) . What are the labs like?

The labs are very well structured and you are designed for someone new. They give you enough information for the scope of engagement so that you can progress on your own.
  • monkeychildmonkeychild Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got my access now :D
  • mkjoungmkjoung Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I was just wondering if this cert helped you with getting a new job or potentially getting your foot in to penetration testing roles?

I am a recent college grad who is trying to enter the infosec world. I just passed the security+ a week ago and am looking to apply to infosec jobs (security analyst/engineer roles). Eventually I want to take the OSCP but I think the eJPT will help me prep for it. What do you guys think?