One week to go on CEH, needs some advice

mjt29mjt29 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok I have my CEH exam scheduled in a week. I'm concerned in the stretch run what to work on. It's been years since I've any certifications and it was advised I go do the CEH. I bought the official Eccouncil course, but it was worthless. The iLabs were ok but the videos and slides were bad.

I read the Oriyano V9 book and did the online practice tests 625 questions.

I skimmed the V8 Matt Walker book and did the 300 questions on the disk.

I have the Transcenders for V9 Ceh and have done two run throughs got 68% and 71%

I've done a 3000+ skillset.com questions maybe more

I've created and read 4 or 5 study sheets and Quizlets.

Did the Ec-council assessment and got 68%.

I don't feel like I can absorb much more of this material, I'm getting bored.

So with one week left to go, what source should I focus on to review and gives me the best shot to pass from everyones experience? I really need this out of my life with a pass. Input appreciated.

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have used more than enough material i think. What is your experience on? You say you get bored studying for this, is it because you dont like the topic or is it because you find you cant understand it?
  • mjt29mjt29 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    You have used more than enough material i think. What is your experience on? You say you get bored studying for this, is it because you dont like the topic or is it because you find you cant understand it?

I'm just bored studying for it. I like the topic. I have 10 years experience has a system administrator. I'm not sure what to focus on anymore to pass. I feel a reached a semi-retention wall were I'm not retaining much more info as time goes on but when you do the same questions it's hard to tell.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Looks like you are prepared.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    I feel like to can need to improve another 10% of my knowledge to be safe with a week to go.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would use this blueprint document from their website to test your knowledge and hammer down your weak areas. If you do this now, with the time you have left, you should improve that 10% you're looking to gain. Good luck, hope you let us know how it goes!

https://www.eccouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/CEH-Exam-Blueprint-v2.0.pdf
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    I would use this blueprint document from their website to test your knowledge and hammer down your weak areas. If you do this now, with the time you have left, you should improve that 10% you're looking to gain. Good luck, hope you let us know how it goes!

https://www.eccouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/CEH-Exam-Blueprint-v2.0.pdf

Thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say for CEH, consider buying either the Transcender or Boson practice exams. I found them to be really good for prepping.
    I would say for CEH, consider buying either the Transcender or Boson practice exams. I found them to be really good for prepping.

I've got the Transcender, I will say of all the practice exams, it's the one I hate doing most. I will take to your advice though and try to run through them again.
    Well everyone I passed the exam. Happy to have it over. I studied hard and still think I should I studied further, but a pass is a pass.

As for using the CEH on my resume and so on, do people just list it as a CEH, do you type the whole thing out or do you use C|EH spelling. Just curious what is the best practice for listing this cert.
  • ChinaJesusChinaJesus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mjt29 wrote: »
    Well everyone I passed the exam. Happy to have it over. I studied hard and still think I should I studied further, but a pass is a pass.

As for using the CEH on my resume and so on, do people just list it as a CEH, do you type the whole thing out or do you use C|EH spelling. Just curious what is the best practice for listing this cert.

Congrats! So which of the Resources and practice tests was on-spot for the exam. Hope to go for it soon.

Thanks
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    If you have Security+, then you are ready to take C|EH v9.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CEH so the resume scanners can pick it up, that said

C|EH just looks so much more fancy
  • CalibraCalibra Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done on passing icon_smile.gif
  • SHA out of luckSHA out of luck Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing!

I am currently finishing up on studying this myself. I am using the EC Council's materials/labs, as well as the Transcender exams. Frustratingly, I am scoring in the mid 60s and a 70 on the practice exams. The EC council assessment I have taken twice. The first time was a 74, and the second time a 96.

Nowhere in the Transcender stuff have I seen any deep questions about Netcat (only one), and nothing overly fancy with regards to hping3 either. I also haven't seen any questions about the different types of viruses. I've taken both practice exams and one randomized one.

I am really getting frustrated with the EC Council, and my results on the exam. I feel like EC Council's material is bascically 500 pages of material to study and 1500 of glorified product advertisements. Their lab environment is touch and go, with some of the machines not responding properly according to the objectives. Emailing support just wields a 'we don't support the lab machines, contact your instructor'. Umm...what instructor? I paid this council to be my #$#@ instructor!

Anyways, I have the CISSP and the Security +. The ISC2 are maddening in the sheer depth of things you need to know. However, at least it felt relevant to what you would be tested on (and it was). With the CEH I feel like it's basically a badly worded, frustrating version of Security + with a bunch of Netcat/NMAP/Wireshark/Hping centric stuff, and no real rhyme or reason to what should be studied.

At any rate, does anybody have any opinions on how ready I might be? I'm going to plow through this crap for about another week before taking it, but I am very much over it. Hopefully the Transcender is a good baseline to go with.

Also, some of the Transcender material is not correct. PGP does require a license now.

Thanks for your input, and congratulations!