What CCIE is the most in demand after R&S?

SkyfireSkyfire Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I want to specialize in an area of networking that is super in demand. R&S seems a little over saturated.

Comments

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Security or maybe a future CCIE in Software/SDN? Cisco is putting a lot of money into both.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say service provider and data center.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's pretty rarified air. I'm not sure anyone could prove which is in more demand.
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    Security.
    I was considering the Cisco security track, but after asking around, a lot of people told me it was extremely dated and that Cisco security solutions were losing ground to newer more innovative technologies. A couple of the people I asked were CCIE R&S, so perhaps they were biased toward R&S.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Without being a CCIE, I would say either Data Center as more companies are moving to Data Centers to house their servers for all their spoke sites, which includes a lot of the Data Center track technologies.

That being said, Security is also a huge one, as Cisco is start to gain some ground in the Security field for edge devices over competing vendors.

Plus what company couldn't use a Security Expert? :) What Data Center I'd think that is maybe a bit more difficult to find work, as companies absorb each other and integrate Data Centers, I haven't seen new jobs open up for these new integrations, the current Sr Engineers just have to work their butts off to integrate them.

It seems like people who grew up professionally within their company developing the Data Center have a lot more, I don't know if the word company loyalty is right, but Data Center loyalty. Especially when they built it and maintain it, it's like their baby. If they get a phone call on a Data Center alert, like a baby crying they will jump out of bed to see whats wrong at 4am, and still show up to work at 7am to continue the integration.

A different breed, they are.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I was considering the Cisco security track, but after asking around, a lot of people told me it was extremely dated and that Cisco security solutions were losing ground to newer more innovative technologies. A couple of the people I asked were CCIE R&S, so perhaps they were biased toward R&S.

It was recently updated so outdated no more!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Anecdotally, I've heard that Wireless is in high demand - in that not lots of jobs, but when they come up they struggle to fill them, so someone with the right qualifications will find it easy to find well paying work.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Anecdotally, I've heard that Wireless is in high demand - in that not lots of jobs, but when they come up they struggle to fill them, so someone with the right qualifications will find it easy to find well paying work.

I completely agree with this as well, I think even studying to a CCNA level in wireless would put you in a great position, when it comes to wireless issues I am generally the only one on my team to throw themselves on the sword unless its Meraki junk.

Those WLC's and Cisco AP's are so counter-intuitive at the CLI and their GUI when it gets into any sort of complexity, that it can take hours to reconfigure if a power outage wipes out a config that didn't get saved by the last tech who configured it.

Wireless skills are not in demand as they should be is the TLDR; version of that :)
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hard to say. Probably in more some of the evolving realms like data center and security if I were to put my thumb on it. However I think I will always at some point make sure I have the IE R/S specialization under my belt just as the foundational core to build from where everything else basically came from.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is in demand really depends on your area and it can be all over the place.

From what I see in NYC tri-state area most mentioned is (Mostly)CCIE RS for enterprise roles but they expect you to be able to know how to work on nexus and ASR's (which falls under SP/DC track). For enterprise roles I usually see mention for CCIE DC, and CCIE Wireless once in a blue but those roles are usually ok with ccnp dc/wireless level. For consulting roles a company will need a Subject Matter expert and they almost always bring in a CCIE specifically for the project they are working on to oversee the design so this will be project based.

If I was you i'd look at dice.com or indeed for your area so you get a feel of what the market needs because the demand really can depend. Bottomline I recommend that you find a track that interests you because if you like what you do and become really good at it you can be very successful in that field.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    R&S is core CCIE but I would think Collab or DC would be the 2 most in demand
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMO any CCIE will put you out there. I see you're a new poster and don't have any certs listed. Do you have a CCNA yet? If not, focus on that first. By the time you get into the position of considering a CCIE track, there will be a new buzzword that would change your mind had you made it now.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA