Will doing this make me score a Helpdesk support or make me Over Qualify?

Well I'm currently have no experience. I'm trying to land my first Helpdesk support job. I hold 3 CompTIA Certs (A+, Net+, Sec+). I'm planning to add 3 more certs to my name. The certs are HDI-SCA, ITIL Foundation, and MSCA Windows 10. Would getting all this certs make me over qualify or would it make me look good and help me land that job, when I apply for a Helpdesk Support position? Let me know. :)

Comments

• revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should be able to land a Help Desk gig now. Nothing will make you "overqualified" when you have no work experience. Of the three you mentioned getting, the MSCA and ITIL cert will carry the most weight. MSCA will do more for you moving forward.
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    Revbox: So I don't need to do that to get a help desk job? Do you think my current certifications are good enough to land a helpdesk support tier 1 role?
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You should be able to get a tier 1 job with your current qualifications. Keep applying, and working on your MCSA...this will make you more competitive but honestly it's going to be a numbers game based on how many applications you submit. If you get a job that requires ITIL, then you can go down that route but it's not going to be a major incentive for companies as a prerequisite compared to an MCSA for example.

Once you get your MCSA:Windows 10, start working on MCSA:Server. The server will help you start working up the chain and even if you switch to networking or something else, the knowledge will be extremely useful.
  • CISSPorBustCISSPorBust Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Revbox: So I don't need to do that to get a help desk job? Do you think my current certifications are good enough to land a helpdesk support tier 1 role?

It depends for what company, but for most companies I'd say yes.
    TechGuru80: Once I get to that part. Should I do the Server 2012 or 2016?

Is it possible to find a part time job? Do people usually do full time or part time?

Will the company willing to train me for this job?

@everyone: can guys take a look at my resume and see if there's anything I need to fix or do?
    here's the link to my resume.
    http://tinypic.com/r/wravbr/9
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TechGuru80: Once I get to that part. Should I do the Server 2012 or 2016?

Is it possible to find a part time job? Do people usually do full time or part time?

Will the company willing to train me for this job?

@everyone: can guys take a look at my resume and see if there's anything I need to fix or do?
    Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    I would probably lean towards Server 2016, since you are probably a year or so out from either starting or being partially done. That keeps you from having to do the exam to get the new version and kind of future proofs yourself a little...although it will be a few years before companies mainstream start switching.

You might be able to find a part time, contract type job...although I am not sure why you would want a part time job unless you are in school still.

Training depends on the company...honestly if you aren't willing to self-study and invest in yourself, you are going to have a hard time in this industry. If you have a .edu email address you can sign up for Microsoft Dreamspark and get free versions of the OS, or you can download a trial for free...find videos and books and start studying.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

After 2004 your work experience just disappears. Everyone is going to ask, what have you been doing for the past 13 years? Missionary in New Guinea? Penitentiary? icon_lol.gif Probably will need to put something in there.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    Okay I'm in trouble there. Cause all I did was play videos games, eat, and sleep, totally unemployed and live with parents and never did anything with my life in that 13 years. icon_cry.gif
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Embelish the truth, you looked after your parents for 13 years
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Try getting a desktop support position. Your resume needs a lot of work.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say get a job, ANY job ASAP. McDonald's... Mowing lawns... Whatever. It is going to be an uphill battle for an employer to want to hire someone who hasn't held a job within the last decade. Certs will help. But I think you need to show you can hold down a job.

Best of luck
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, get off of the couch and find any type of job. Part time, Full time, Contract.
    The fact that you have not been doing anything for 13 years may be a problem.
    Yes, you should be able to get a Tier 1 job now. Help Desk, Desktop Tech, Field Tech, etc. Your certifications as they stand now should land you that job. They may say required 1 year experience, apply anyway. Someone will hire you. MCSA would just be icing on the cake, as well as ITIL, but those two will help you moving forward.
    I would not list these jobs on my resume. Apply as a recent college graduate with your certifications. Hopefully, you look young for the interview. Best of luck with blank resume history. You may need to take a data entry or call center role for six months to a year to get something on paper.
    What about Internships? Should I find an IT internship? I am still a student.
    Okay, I'm going to remove those old job experience and leave it blank on my resume.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Okay, I'm going to remove those old job experience and leave it blank on my resume.
    This is probably your best bet, at least to pass the resume stage. If you start with just your education on there, you'll look like you just graduated (to anyone looking through resumes).

Wouldn't waste my time with an internship. Just go straight to a HelpDesk/Technical Support role. With the triad and your degree, it should be a smooth sail.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□