Experience at Community SANS

Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
I wanted to know the experience that people have had while attending a Community SANS event? I have the opportunity to attend Community SANS Albany SEC504 for the GCIH course. The instructor is Evan Dygert. Has anyone had him instruct their course before? I am excited to finally get to jump into the SANS water and experience their training and certification paths. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We virtually never hear about the Community events. If you attend, please be sure to provide a review. I'm curious about these myself.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I met Evan in a previous SANS class when he was teachers assistant for GCIH. A very smart guy and i'm sure it would be a great community class with him teaching.
  • wiseguywiseguy Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Rumblr33 wrote: »
    I wanted to know the experience that people have had while attending a Community SANS event? I have the opportunity to attend Community SANS Albany SEC504 for the GCIH course. The instructor is Evan Dygert. Has anyone had him instruct their course before?

Rumblr33 - I am scheduled to attend a Community SANS event this May for the GCIH with Evan Dygert as the instructor. I was wondering how was your class experience with Evan? Thanks!
  • Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This course was excellent. Evan is very knowledgeable and the class is very much interactive. I enjoyed taking the Community course because the class size is small. I had like 10 students in my class. Makes the class feel more personal and you get to interact with every student. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a more personal feel to a SANS course.
  • LWB250LWB250 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Evan was the TA in the class I facilitated for at SANS Orlando. Super nice guy and very sharp. I really enjoyed working with him and hope to do so again in the future.
    This is very encouraging feedback on Evan as an instructor and how SANS Community courses operate. Last year was my first experience at a SANS event which was SANS Orlando and loved it. I'm really looking forward to this upcoming SEC504 class!
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Community SANS events are a little smaller than DC or Orlando.
    There may be 1 - 6 or so courses being taught after 2 or 3 days of seminar. The talks are one after another. There is typically a break before and after lunch.
  • sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    Late reply. I did my GICSP at a community class. There was nothing wrong with the format of the class although I will point out it was a big group. We were able to do Keynote speeches etc as though this was a regular SANS conference.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    yeah they're good. Just two presentations usually (by experienced instructors) and some drinks. Good value, why not?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

I attended a Community SEC504 (GCIH) SANS training last week and I really liked the individual attention.
  • InCryptableInCryptable Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wiseguy wrote: »
    I attended a Community SEC504 (GCIH) SANS training last week and I really liked the individual attention.

I too, will be soon taking a Community event - I've actually never been to a SANS conference - I've just had small group SANS training where my employer paid SANS to come in and instruct.