Csa+

3online3online Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning everyone! I am currently studying for the CSA+ exam. As of now, I am reading through the Sybex study guide, which is going well.

What are you using to study? Are there any practice exams out there? I do not see much for this exam, as it is new.

Is there a way to access itpro.tv videos without subscribing monthly?

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• jrwashingtonjrwashington Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, perhaps TE could start a new forum just for CSA+ (wink, wink). It sure would help better organize this new cert.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exam is not as tough as looks from blueprint. I passed beta exam last year, but do not expect big changes in content. Theory on Sec+ level, few log print outs from Snort or Wireshark. For most questions logical analysis was enough to find correct answer.
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    trojin is correct. A lot of people said that if you had a Security+ level of theoretical understanding mixed with a bit of the CEH, you would do fine. I took the beta myself and passed it without necessarily knowing much about the Snort/Wireshark side. The logical analysis seems to me to have gotten me through.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • fire692fire692 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Motion seconded! :D
    shochan wrote: »
    Yeah, perhaps TE could start a new forum just for CSA+ (wink, wink). It sure would help better organize this new cert.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I mentioned it in a PM to the forum moderator yesterday.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Skillsoft also offers a 14.5-hour course on the CSA+.

Edit: Looks like uCertify also has a CSA+ course.
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xagreus wrote: »
    Skillsoft also offers a 14.5-hour course on the CSA+.

Edit: Looks like uCertify also has a CSA+ course.

Oh sweet! Thanks for pointing that out!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since it looks like you have Sec+ that will help with some of the material covered. I took the beta and passed after spending a couple weeks reading through CEH specific texts and practice exams, and there was similar material covered for CSA+. So, since CSA+ materials may still yet be slim, you might try some CEH materials as well.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is the CSA+ CompTIA's answer to EC Council's CEH? I know when I first discovered the existence of the C|EH I wanted to devote a couple hundred hours to it. Then I realized that was way beyond what the exam was asking and my time would be better used elsewhere.

Not that studying for the CEH is bad but I mean mastering each and every tool mentioned in the curriculum is going way too far. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the CSA+ is the same in this perspective and it's not on nearly as high of a pedestal that I've built for it in my mind.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Is the CSA+ CompTIA's answer to EC Council's CEH?

No. CSA+ is blue team exam, CEH is red team exam

• 3online3online Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have, or anyone, the .pdf version of the Wiley book? It would be great to take notes in One Note.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've started taking the CSA+ training on Skillsoft. My agency is paying for it, so I can take any training or read any book they have for the duration of our subscription. AND I get to do it on work time. I have Security+ and SSCP, and I'm working on eJPT. So far, what I've seen of the CSA+ training has been mostly review from these other certifications. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet. I guess you could call it Security++. I'll report back when I've taken more of the training.
  • SeptuagintoSeptuaginto Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took Security+ and passed back in 2011 and have renewed it via CEs ever since. I failed the CSA+ today with a 75% (needed 83.3% as a minimum) . The printout I received that showed where I missed 1 or more questions was all but 3 of the exam objectives. Safe to say thats a shotgun approach for studying for the re-test. It would have been really helpful to know which questions I got wrong.
    I had studied the CSA+ content on SkillPort through DoD access although I found watching hours of video with no interaction a pure struggle to stay awake. I bought and read through the entire McMillan CSA+ book and did every question, highlighted important topics in the book. I felt the book was ok. I also bought the CertMaster access from CompTIA. I finished it 2 days ago and was reviewing things. I honestly felt I was ready and yet still failed. Having taken the test and comparing what CertMaster did for me I can honestly say that the CertMaster program is too easy and gave me a false sense of preparedness. I do have the retake option now but now I'm like WTF do I study?

My background has been more Sys Admin and Tier 1&2 support. I have a BS in IT acquired recently. I do not work in the Info Sec field but I want to get into it. Entry level jobs in InfoSec do not seem plentiful.

I've been reading various comments from those that passed CSA+ and said it was not that hard or even easy. How hard or how easy relies heavily on ones background. I give very little credibility to those comments when I look under their names and see several security related certs already under their belt or that they teach cybersecurity. Of course it was easy for you.
  • mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you recall what type of Simulations were on the Exam, what did they focus on?
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been reading various comments from those that passed CSA+ and said it was not that hard or even easy. How hard or how easy relies heavily on ones background. I give very little credibility to those comments when I look under their names and see several security related certs already under their belt or that they teach cybersecurity. Of course it was easy for you.

75% is not a bad score at all. It shows you're on the right path.

I do not work in IT Security, nor have a pile of IT Security experience or certs. I've worked most of the last 10 years as a server and systems administrator. I used CEH study materials to prep when I took the beta, and found a lot of the information useful. My score on the beta was passing, although not high, but I only spent about two weeks studying. Had I had more time to get more in-depth in the studies I'd have passed.

FYI, One of our IT Security admins took the CSA+ right before I did - with, by his own admittance, no direct CSA+ study time, and did not pass, so just having an IT Security background doesn't make it automatically easy. He didn't fail horribly, but he didn't just waltz in and pass either.

All that to say that you can learn that last bit you need to in order to pass. I would suggest seeing if you can find some CEH specific material if you have found the CSA+ material may be "easier" than the exam.
  • SeptuagintoSeptuaginto Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I feel that not having actual experience was the little bit that kept me from getting a passing score. Close but no cigar. I'm considering Cybrary's Virtual Lab for the CSA+ for $80 to get some hands-on experience. I found the same exact curriculum on two other sites but the cost was $125 and $149... no thanks.

I have only 1 year sec related experience. In time of beta exam I just prepared myself to my first security role. But I prepared myself for last 4 years. I passed few certs, setup lab at home, etc. Yesterday I passed CCNA Cyber Ops second exam and again was easy for me. I have no idea what score I have as my results were pending for few hours and I did not wait for print out. To pass exam you need knowledge and some experience as backup plan. everything depends from learning habits and your dedication to learn. I know that "easy" or "hard" is very subjective. My A+ exam was very hard to me few years ago and CCNA was just disaster. I failed twice before pass.

• mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the exam and was not successful as i was with the others, I've had, there is not alot of sufficient study material available. CASP is a good source to start with.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just realized that Logical Operations has a CSA+ course ... more importantly they have logical labs for $75. Sold.
    http://store.logicaloperations.com/cybersec-first-responder-exam-cfr-210-with-comptia-cybersecurity-analyst-exam-cs0-001-logicallab.html
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE