From Help Desk/Tech Support to NOC

Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
i'm currently employed as a network technical support rep Tier 2. its my first IT job. the pay is pretty good at $21 per hour considering i only have my A+

i'm scheduled to take my N+ in two weeks and will do the CCENT within the next four months, by the end of that i'll have 6 months experience at this tech support job.

my fear is getting stuck at this call center. i want to become a network engineer and i want to work at a NOC job where i can grow. do you guys think with 6 months of experience, A+, N+ and CCENT i'll be able to move to a NOC job?

i'm also enrolled in WGU for Network Administration.
Bachelor of Science in IT:Security - Western Governors University

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    start sending out your resume at 6 months and see if you get calls/interviews. You won't get stuck.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion, I think it's quite possible. Given that I don't know what the demand is like in your area, I'd say the fact that you're continuing education, pursuing certifications, you know which direction you want to go AND you'll have some call-center/help-desk support experience under your belt... I wouldn't imagine anyone would snub you unless the market was just too saturated with qualified lower-tier techs. For encouragement, I started my NOC job with no certs or degree and just a few years of help-desk at various organizations.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    besides A+,N+ and CCENT, you recommend i have anything else? i am buying a home lab that way i have real hands on experience with cisco equipment.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think your N+ will give you a strong leg-up on your CCENT studies and you'll be able to move on that quickly if you have the time. I would probably suggest that you get some training videos (I suggest Kevin Wallace for the 200-125 content) and pick up the Boson Practice Test/Sims. Since Packet Tracer/GNS3 are free, if it came down to cost I'd suggest those over physical equipment. Physical equipment is great for more practical hands on experience, no doubt, just saying... if cost is a concern.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    yeah i was hoping the same, also i have two years customer service at best buy and also two years customer service at a call center for a satellite company.
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    I think your N+ will give you a strong leg-up on your CCENT studies and you'll be able to move on that quickly if you have the time. I would probably suggest that you get some training videos (I suggest Kevin Wallace for the 200-125 content) and pick up the Boson Practice Test/Sims. Since Packet Tracer/GNS3 are free, if it came down to cost I'd suggest those over physical equipment. Physical equipment is great for more practical hands on experience, no doubt, just saying... if cost is a concern.

thanks for you input.

I have the Wendell book for the 100-105, CBTNuggets video for 100-105, Boson practice exams and Sims, i have packet tracer and i have a few 101+ Labs and guides.

This should be enough for CCENT and even CCNA ive heard.

i was just thinking about using a home lab just to get an edge when interviewing, since i won't have alot of experience on my resume i'm hoping actual hands on with cisco equipment can help.
    Anyone else went from help desk to NOC quickly?
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Anyone else went from help desk to NOC quickly?

I'm hoping to. In fact, I'm going to try to skip helpdesk altogether haha. It's worth a shot. I wouldn't bother except I have a big time factor at play, and I don't feel it's an absolutely necessary step for me because 2 of my "jobs" both already involved some helpdesk. I knew a guy who skipped helpdesk and went straight to a NOC, but he had a degree. I think it was a CompSci degree, if it matters.