Options

Where to go after Desktop Support

frenzy55frenzy55 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've been doing desktop support for around 5 years now and it's gotten pretty stale. My company occasionally sends me to clients requesting CCNA's even though I don't have one to do layer 1 stuff. Installing cisco equipment, cabling, "smart hands" work. I'm having trouble deciding where to go. Programming seems promising but it seems like I'd be starting completely over trying to go into that field. I think I'd like sys admin or networking and those would build off my existing knowledge more than trying to be a coder. I guess I'd just like to hear some thoughts on which one has better job prospects/growth. Are there more opportunities for a sysadmin type job vs networking?

Comments

• Options
    Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get your CCNA and try to get a high tier NOC job or Junior Network Admin position.
    Bachelor of Science in IT:Security - Western Governors University
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Frenzy55
    You need to decide what it is you like to do first. If you feel that programming is worth it then you need to dive right in and learn as much as you can. If you want to leverage the experience you have already acquired, go for a NOC position. In terms of growth, network admin and system administrator are about the same.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)