Finished 2nd AAS degree in computer networking and dont know ****.

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
So i first went to Antonelli College and it was a for profit school, the instructor never spoke to us, just told us to do the work that was all through Testout.com I was lost but made it through, so that AAB degree in IT didnt do **** for me, i decided to go to a junior college so my credit could transfer to the local university for a BA in computer networking. Since then i learned allot more, how to subnet, but i still dont know how to do anything, if someone asked me at a company why the internet is down, all i could say is unplug it and plug it back in. Sure if you give me an IP address and say subnet it or create a few Vlans i guess i could, but i wouldnt know how that even comes into play at a company. I suck at teaching myself this computer networking stuff, if i read a network plus book im lost and if i self study for a ccna im lost. Does anyone have any advice. Should i continue to the university in hopes that i may actually know how to do something. Im prior service military and i know the difference between the classroom and boots on the ground, but this is 4 years into this dam networking field and i literally dont know ****. My old cisco instructor would talk to the class about complex fortune 5oo company network designs when most student dont even know how to creat a home network or multiple home networks.

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say figure out what you like about IT and pursue it!

If it's networking, then I say go for it. Everyone learns at a different pace.

You won't know everything about networking when you finish school, but you should know enough to troubleshoot connectivity issues.

I see you used different resources in college, but I think finding what makes things stick is your first obstacle to tackle.

You need to find your learning style.

I posted a video below:
    Discover Different Styles of Learning
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E41O67jMdIw

I suggest looking at the network+, because it's a good starting point for networking basics.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    [QUOTE= if someone asked me at a company why the internet is down, all i could say is unplug it and plug it back in. [/QUOTE]

Here are some good videos on troubleshooting network issues:

Lecture Troubleshooting Network Connections
    https://youtu.be/MVvgRXZRbCI

from INE site Basic Network Troubleshooting
    https://streaming.ine.com/play/f82d3093-854e-4d95-b739-7051e29f4e78/basic-network-troubleshooting#/

Basic Network Troubleshooting : Internet Connection Down -ISP Fault
    https://youtu.be/E4PhVqrhPxI

Good Luck!! I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't learn anything on my own (when i first came out).

i was fortunate to have a great mentor who took the time to teach me.

ymmv, but don't be too hard on yourself.

with that being said, i like Professor Messer; his videos generally connect with me.

Lastly, you need to find like-minded people; search for IT groups in your city. Go to their monthly meetups; start building a network of people who can teach you stuff :]
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You dont learn everything from books. You need hands on experience so what you read on the books can start to sink in. You are stressing yourself for no reason. Go get a job and things will get better.
  • adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't proceed to University yet.

I have two Associate's degrees as well. The first was not in technology, but the second was an AAS degree in IT. Everything was new to me but I supplemented the courses by getting the A+ and Network+ on my own. I used Professor Messer's free website and a cheap book. That really helped me out and got me interested in networking. I got into the CCENT afterwards. I would consider doing something like that.

You've got a paper credential in the form of a degree. Get a couple of basic certs to check that box off and to strengthen your knowledge and skillset. Then try and gain an entry level role. You can proceed to get your four year degree afterwards. That's what I did.