New to cyber security

dirty-santadirty-santa Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just finished my bachelor degree in computer engineering and also got a minor in computer science. I want to go towards cyber security. I want to start getting some certificates in cyber security, i was thinking about starting with Security+. Please tell me what you think. If Security+ is a good start please suggest boot camps, classes, books and so on.

Comments

• nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Security+ is a great start, then start trying to find what you want to do in Cyber Security, it's a pretty broad field, do you want to analyze logs, install firewalls, penetration test, jack of all trades.. find what companies are hiring and maybe look to get into a junior security analyst position and see how it fits for you
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • dirty-santadirty-santa Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you for your response, i am still researching to see what specific topic grabs my attention more. All of this is totally new to me so i am sure it will be very hard to find a job in the field, i will apply tho. do you have any good books or classes in mind? the books under the security+ tabs are very old and outdated.

Thank you
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cybrary.it has good videos on several topics.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Guys thank you so much for all the response, I am great full for all the help, i have officially started studying for security+.
    thank you for your response. Do you know of any good guides, so i can set up a lab environment?
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is one that I started on but decided to re-vamp my VM host so am starting over so haven't completed the setup yet.

https://blindseeker.com/AVATAR/AVATAR-FINAL.pdf
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    What is a good cert after Sec +? That's my next one and I'm done with CompTIA. I just found out that CISSP requires 5 years of job experience.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thank you for your response. Do you know of any good guides, so i can set up a lab environment?

This right here is the correct approach. Lab, lab, lab and then lab some more. Your degree and Sec+ will definitely help get you interviews, but demonstrating to a hiring manager what you learned in lab environments is what will get you a job.

To answer your question, check out https://cybrary.it they have a lot of good posts on how to set up labs, videos for certs, etc. I think they even offer access to their lab environments for $80 which are based on what certification you're pursuing. Haven't tried them myself yet though, so not sure how good they are. Boson has labs as well, but they are more expensive. Although I hear they are pretty good.

Best of luck
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    coldbug wrote: »
    What is a good cert after Sec +? That's my next one and I'm done with CompTIA. I just found out that CISSP requires 5 years of job experience.

I'm pursuing the SSCP right now, which I hear is a good step toward CISSP and only requires at least 1 year of experience in InfoSec. I guess it depends on what route you are looking to take in security.
    Thank you guys i passed. Daril Gipson book is really good and to the point, i also liked his online material
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Question though...
    I dont mean to sound like a jerk or something but why pursue cybersec (IT?) instead of develop or devops?
    Developing will pay a lot more than IT. Again, if cyber sec and technicality is your passion, go for it man(woman?).

If you really like the technical aspect, I suggest maybe take a look at devops? It usually pays more than just technical IT and you can use your coding education too.
    meh
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Question though...
    I dont mean to sound like a jerk or something but why pursue cybersec (IT?) instead of develop or devops?
    Developing will pay a lot more than IT. Again, if cyber sec and technicality is your passion, go for it man(woman?).

If you really like the technical aspect, I suggest maybe take a look at devops? It usually pays more than just technical IT and you can use your coding education too.

I was about to ask the same.

Someone with a computer engineering BS, computer science minor, math minor I would guess is more inclined towards a developer job, Data Base Admin or something related to developers.
    What did you like in your degrees more?

When many of us here finished college years ago, over 10+ years ago, IT degrees were very general and did not focus of some specific filed. The past few years IT degrees follow a particular concentration I believe. So my question again, Why go into security when your degree has a concentration in programming?

I dont want to discourage you but it seems counter to your degrees to step down and get a sec+ when you could be learning SQL, Python, for example and use that math and engineering knowledge to build something.