Failed ITIL Service Transition - TWICE!

StevePSteveP Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Just retook ITIL Service Transition and failed for the second time icon_cry.gif. So far I passed Foundation, CSI, Strategy and Ops no problem at all - why am I having these issues with this particular lifecycle?

After failing the first time I focused on the coaching report and reread those sections as well as sat through the recorded online training sessions again. I redid the sample exams (no problems there). Now I am at a loss as to what to do differently to finally pass.

Any advice? Do other candidates have similar 'hate topics'?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Steve, firstly I can say you are definitely not alone! We have worked with 100s of expert delegates and some of them do seem to have one topic area that they just get 'stuck' on.

One of the difficulties we've seen with ST is there are a lot of processes with similar or overlapping areas of scope. Make sure you're completely clear on what each process does, and how it fits with the other ST processes.

Did you get an exam report from your training provider with any clues as to weaker areas? You can also ask your training provider for the RCV capability sample exams, they cover similar topics so are good for practice.

kind regards

Claire
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I barely passed ST when I sat the exam. It was a tough one for sure.
  • genxfinalrevisiongenxfinalrevision Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Were you able to pick up on any commonalities/problem areas from the two exams? Like was there any type of question that you were consistently struggling with (roles vs kpi/metric questions) - either on the exam or even in the sample papers. If you can post that or maybe the coaching report it may be useful in figuring out where the problem areas are.

With the Sample Papers, did you identify the 5, 3, 1, and distracter and did you read through the rationales along with the answers?

What I would suggest (generally speaking) is that you sit a course for RCV. Since the Capability streams go deeper into individual processes/roles, it may help solidify any questions around the roles/individual processes. Personally, I did not take ST on my path to Expert. I went with SO, OSA, CSI, RCV, and PPO. As part of my RCV prep, I did take the Sample Papers for ST and considered them a little harder than expected.

At any rate, you're gonna get there :)
  • StevePSteveP Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tried again today and failed once more. Now I am really lost since I did everything I could. Am going to have to try harder. Getting sick of it...
    Just letting everyone know that I finally passed with 28 points. I did everything I could short of memorizing the whole textbook. Just not my topic.

Really appreciate all the advice.
  • Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    Congratulations. Lots of people have one exam that they struggle with!
    Congratulations! Great news icon_smile.gif
  • arunm17arunm17 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations SteveP.

U took the exam twice and third is a charm. What is the difference in your approach? Please explain?
    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

Arunm17: It was actually my 4th attempt. Firstly I reread the entire book and memorised large chunks of it. As an example I did that by repeating over and over in my head what an SKMS was and its components and how they interact when I read 'SKMS' or another term. I played out scenarios in my head how different changes are initiated and how they flow through the various processes by determining interfaces, in- and outputs. Then I did the two sample exams trying to not only get the correct answers but to rank each answer according to 5, 3, 1, and 0 points and tried to really understand why each answer was ranked the way it was.

Overall I ended up getting 28 points which is not very satisfying, but I passed and that is what counts.
  • genxfinalrevisiongenxfinalrevision Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is awesome news! Many people seem to have the lifecycle blind-spot but you got through it and that is all that counts. The Successful Candidates Register does not list scores, so a 28 is a 40, lol.

Congratulations!!
  • Nezo01Nezo01 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

I failed twice. Do I have to do the Training again? Or can I just book the exam?
    Hi Nezo01, you don't need to take the training again. You can book an online exam via Peoplecert. Good luck! Claire
  • bustcardbustcard Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How much does the retake cost?
    Hi bustcard the retake price will vary depending where you buy it from, my org sells the intermediate vouchers for $299 US but you will find the price varies from company to company.