Putting Online Experience on a Resume

MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
One thing I'm tossed about if someone could help is...

I've done volunteer work online, can I put that on a resume? And if so, how would I go about listing it in terms of "Company Name" and "Location" if it's just "working" with/off of a website? Also, it's non-IT work I've done for 3 yrs. Should I even consider using this to fill my (almost) 4 yr gap?

Then... I also have a few months of IT-related volunteer work online (from before the above), should I use that too even though it's such a short period of time and wasn't an actual job-job? It was a helpdesk type of situation where I took actual tickets.

Thanks

Comments

• mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    non-IT work I've done for 3 yrs. Should I even consider using this to fill my (almost) 4 yr gap?
    It really depends on whether you want to account for your time, or show how you are a good candidate for the job you are applying for.
    A resume gets looked over for about 10 seconds or so before it is either pitched, or saved - do you want those 10 seconds to be filled with reading about odd jobs you had, or with the things that will convince them that you are experienced and capable of doing the job? Think of your resume as an elevator pitch - you are riding the elevator with the hiring manager, and you have 10 seconds of his attention to tell him why he/she should hire you.
    Same thing with the volunteer piece-work (not an actual job-job) - if it helps describe why you can do the job, then put it in.
    HR departments are more focused on accounting for gaps in your resume, they always want to paint a more thorough picture. If somebody asks about a resume gap, you can explain to them directly.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could mention you have done volunteer work, but if you didn't get paid, it's really not experience.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    You could mention you have done volunteer work, but if you didn't get paid, it's really not experience.
    Strange, I have another volunteer position that I've had on my resume for years, and if anything it's helped me. It's the reason I got job 3. It was an IT position I worked for 6 months. I do believe that was definitely experience. The only thing missing was pay.

I'm just wondering about (specifically) online experience and how that plays into it. Also, how to list it on a resume if applicable.