How did you get into cloud/AWS?

bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
Hey guys,

For those of you who work with cloud technologies like AWS and Azure, how did you get started? I have 5 years of full-time IT experience and 1 of those as a sys admin. My skills include extensive knowledge of VMware, automation with Powershell, and Microsoft technologies like KMS/WDS/DNS/Hyper-V/DHCP etc. Also, I passed the AWS Developer Associate exam a few days ago.

It seems like quite a few of these jobs want extensive experience deploying/developing solutions thorugh AWS already.
"If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Easiest way to start is to create a free-tier AWS and Azure account. Given your background - you may want to start with Azure.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It seems to me, that so many of these technologies that we discuss, are parts of a larger career/job position. Some people may work with just AWS, or just Cisco, or just scripting.... but it seems like many of us deal with different percentages of these things. (50% networking, 10% scripting, 40% bureaucracy), etc.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I didn't get into cloud, the cloud got into me (srs) lol

The whole company was migrated to cloud and I had to deal with the after math....
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Had Linux experience. Got a Linux admin job. Company was messing around a bit with AWS, so I got some basic experience.

Got a few recruiters pinging me for DevOps jobs. Wanted to quit my previous company anyway because bosses were being shitty and forced me to be in every day and also do end-user support while underpaid about 20k.

Got one of the jobs I applied for - it helped that I worked with pretty much the same technology stack.

They were looking for someone to work with consultants and move non-production into AWS. Been here since :)
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Hey we have a project, the deadline is 2 weeks, we have no Network connectivity, standards, security, rules, etc. in our Azure instance, can you make it happen?"

In capitalist america, cloud find you!
    :twisted:
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm struggling here too.

After nearly 20 years of wandering around in Desktop/sysadmin kinda stuff, but never really becoming deeply entrenched in any one thing....

I'm taking the AZ-104 soon.   the program includes the architect and beginning AWS certs.    Like any of us, its difficult to see translating this into a new job where they want everyone to be an expert in 234324 things and 10 years experience.   Any advice is surely appreciated.    This forum was a lifesaver when I was starting out.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber