Help choosing a processor

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
I wanna start building a new pc and I need help picking a processor. My current processor is an AMD dual core 5600. I got it in 2007. I don't have a really good understanding of the specifics of processors other than GHz/speed, hence the reason I'm making this thread. This pc will be for gaming and video editing.

I'd like to get the most bang for my buck. I was thinking maybe an AMD FX 8350 or 8370. Both have 8 cores. They're older but I feel like the performance would do well considering how long my current processor has held up. Was also thinking maybe an AMD Ryzen 5 1500. I know it looks better on paper and benchmarks but would there be a noticeable difference in performance when compared to the 8350 or 8370.

Also, I hear that Xeon processors are basically i7s but a lot cheaper. I know you can get servers with a Xeon processor with a lot of ram also for significantly less. So I was thinking about possibly going that route also.

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fabostrong wrote: »
    . . . I don't have a really good understanding of the specifics of processors other than GHz/speed, hence the reason I'm making this thread. . .

I like cpubenchmark PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts
    They've put a single performance number on pretty much any processor you can think of.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since you will use it for gaming and video editing, two things come to mind:

1. Multi-threads &
    2. Lots of fast RAM

If you go the AMD route, the newest Ryzens will allow you to use DDR4 RAM, which means the fastest currently available RAM and at capacities that will exceed DDR3 in the future (if not already). Not to mention, the Ryzen processors have up to 8 cores (if memory serves me right) and are multi-threaded, so you will get 16 simultaneous threads. Having a buttload of threads is useful if the video editing program can make use of them (same with games).

If you go the Intel route, Xeon processors are generally considered the highest-end CPUs they make. They are also typically much more expensive than the i7s. For instance, the 24 core Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8894 v4 is almost $9,000 per CPU. The 10 core Intel® Core™ i7-6950X Processor Extreme Edition is approximately $1700. Both have multi-threading as well. DDR4 is supported by the i7 (didn't find the Xeon support RAM but it is likely the much more expensive registered RAM).

I would probably go with a higher end AMD and match it up with a high end graphics card that is PCIe 3.0 compliant (which needs a PCIe 3.0 compliant motherboard, as well).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input guys.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    stryder144 .. I think fabostrong is looking for a "a good cheap" processor........

fabostrong how much do you want to spend?

I think the main thing that you should consider is getting a good SSD, having the latest and greatest xtreme multi threaded CPU and 128 GB of DDR4 RAM and using a slow HDD will not give you the best results.

Regarding getting a Used server, servers are LOUD .. maybe a used workstation would be a better choice, you can get a very good used one for less than 1000$
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AMD FX-8350 is 2012 technoloy, it has a 125W TDP which means its a massive power hog.

Since it sounds like your on a budget I'd recommend Ryzen 5 1500X, Ryzen 5 1600, or Core i5-7600

Newer processors might cost more, but what if you could save $15-$20 a year in electricity using a 65W TDP CPU vs a 125W TDP CPU?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA