Help With Resume Please, Looking to Land NOC Job

Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
can someone please critique my resume. its my first resume ever.

Thank you, i removed the top section that had my person information
Bachelor of Science in IT:Security - Western Governors University

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here are a few quick observations:

You should consider putting a certification heading in above the Education section. Place separate entries for CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+. I would not include CCENT pending...employers don't usually care what you are planning to do, they want to know what you've done.

I would probably merge the Technical Skills information into the Per Scholas section of your education. When it comes to experience, you might want to consider what the impact of your work is on the business. How did, for instance, diagnosing and resolving technical hardware and software issues help the company?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wait, your first resume, you just got a tier 3 job last month and youre looking to jump already?
    im confused. please explain?

btw, working in L.I from the city sucks.

I agree with stryder. Have Certifications as its own and separate the comptia certs. You can add dates to them

speaking of dates, push the dates to the right border. It looks awkward seeing other text go past.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1. The font size on resume title is way too small in comparison to the header font sizes. Fix this.
    2. You can remove words "PROFESSIONAL PROFILE". It's unnecessary and awkward.
    3. The top section (what is now professional profile) is too large. There are also some grammatical errors in it but get it smaller first and then let's see if they still exist and also what may be wrong with the section in terms of overall concept.
    4. Like someone else said ... a seperate section for certifications and add start and completion dates.
    5. In the Technical Skills section... misuse/overuse of semicolons makes everything very unclear. Use colons after concept, commas to seperate within same concept, and semicolons to seperate each concept. Example... Topic: this, that, and this; Next Topic: this, that, these, those; Another Topic: those, this, that, and these
    6. In the Education section... put the most recent degree on the top, not bottom and add start and completion dates to them.
    7. In the Experience section ...if that's your current job change the wording to present tense, not past.
    8. In the Experience section...try using "April 2017 - Current". It could look like you worked there for only 1 month and are now possibly unemployed (because why else would you be looking for a job already?).

Also, I hope you're just preparing this in advance because if you just got that job in April, and you're already looking for work now? ... that's going to turn some employers off.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Valid NYS driver’s license.

Get rid of the S, we all know NY is a State, no need to remind us.

(CCENT) pending

You either have it or don’t have it, If you don’t have it leave it off your resume. Lots of Aholes say they are studying for XYZ cert, but most never even opened there books, some don’t even hove books to study. Studying for a cert is easy to say, hard to follow though.

You could enter the cert numbers on the certifications you do have.

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Wait, your first resume, you just got a tier 3 job last month and youre looking to jump already?
    im confused. please explain?

Didn’t even notice this, your going to have to work at least a year or two to get experience before you can even consider moving elsewhere. Even if you hate your job and your boss is horrible your going to have to tough it out. If you hate your job that much, I guess you could quit and search for a new job, but leave off the job you only worked at for a few months off your resume.
    4. Like someone else said ... a separate section for certifications and add start and completion dates.

I disagree with putting in a start date, they only time I would enter a start date is if you knocked out a bunch of certifications pretty quickly. Say your started working on your CCNA April 2017 and completed May 2017, this might impress me. But if you enter Started A+ January 2017 and completed May 2017 I’d think you’re a complete moron.

• MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »

I disagree with putting in a start date, they only time I would enter a start date is if you knocked out a bunch of certifications pretty quickly. Say your started working on your CCNA April 2017 and completed May 2017, this might impress me. But if you enter Started A+ January 2017 and completed May 2017 I’d think you’re a complete moron.

You're probably right. I was thinking most on this forum would have finished it in astounding speed. It was an assumption I shouldn't have made or at least a clarification I should have included.
  • Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes the program that landed me my A+ and N+ got me this Tier 3 Tech support job. I just dont want to get stuck at a Call center and this company i work for is always posting Entry NOC jobs so i figured if i could move to a NOC right away it would be better for my Career choice of Network Engineer.
    Bachelor of Science in IT:Security - Western Governors University
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well in that case, can you add more technical details to that job? Being tier three would entail more duties. That may help. Maybe apply for noc roles without listing such a short period? Employers don't like seeing that. They will only wonder how soon until you leave them.

your signature says you have a bs?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • valenlane85valenlane85 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your work experience needs to backup your technical Skills. If it can't then you shouldn't list it.

Your work experience does not back any of your "Networking/software" Tech Skills up. Those you want to be very careful in listing on resume as IT Manager might throw some Q's at you and if you bomb them that might end the interview early.

But I agree with previous post, a lot of that needs to be added to education section if that's were you have "touched" those technologies.

Add Start-End dates to education and work

Add date you achieved A+ and Net+ along with License # so they can see how current you knowledge of A+ and Net+ is.

Make your professional profile smaller! like 2 lines, needs to be strong and to the point.