Options

Need some suggestion before starting my IT career

swiftyx61swiftyx61 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I would like to get some suggestions or recommendations before starting my IT career. I've just completed my high school. Now I'm looking to get into IT especially in administration. But before doing that i would like any kind of guidance. I'm looking forward to get Bachelor degree in Computer Science Engineering and then getting RHCSA certification. Will these degree be enough in future to get a decent job? I'm also don't want to limit my self to these degrees and will get more certifications in future. Any suggestion, recommendations or ideas are welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes all those certifications and degrees will help you get some type of a job. How decent it is, will depend on how good you are. Since you are now going into college. I'd suggest you go do some internships or volunteer to get some experience so that you explore the different areas in IT and you can find what interests you early in your career rather than wasting your time in jobs you might not like.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    nice thing about linux is it's a free download, and anything you could possibly want to know/learn about it is free online via youtube or elsewhere. download that ISO, install it in vmware, and start learning everything you can about it. experience trumps degree every time, plus experience helps get a good grade with that degree/cert!
  • Options
    I already have linux installed on my laptop(Ubuntu 16.04LTS) and i'm running vms of RHEL 7.3,Kali,Ubuntu Server on my desktop. I'm good at linux(but not expert). I already know HTML,Javascript,PHP,MYSQL and python. I also know shell scripting. I'm very interested in linux and i like Administration more than programming. I already know basic stuff but i'm asking to know that there are decent jobs when it comes to linux administration. And as go for the new technologies or other things i'm ready to dedicate my entire life to IT. So, is linux administration is a good field or not?
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    swiftyx61 wrote: »
    Actually i know a little bit programming and i'm already using Linux. And i like linux administration or configuring things more than programming(i find configuring things more interesting). But i just want to know that is there future in linux administration or not?

I don't see Linux going anywhere anytime soon, so that would probably be a "yes". In fact, its numbers have been doing nothing but growing for the past ten years, so that "could" be an expectation that they will continue to do so.

Your CompSci degree is a good choice, in my opinion. As for a "decent" job, that's very relative. What one person considers decent another one may not. To me ... a CompSci degree alone would enable you to get a "decent" job. Even after your degree (and the 1 cert) ... keep learning, keep improving... and you'll be ok.
  • Options
    Yeah i will keep learning my whole life. I also want that CEH and SANS GSEC certification.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi, I would like to get some suggestions or recommendations before starting my IT career. I've just completed my high school. Now I'm looking to get into IT especially in administration. But before doing that i would like any kind of guidance. I'm looking forward to get Bachelor degree in Computer Science Engineering and then getting RHCSA certification. Will these degree be enough in future to get a decent job? I'm also don't want to limit my self to these degrees and will get more certifications in future. Any suggestion, recommendations or ideas are welcomed.

These degrees, as in the degree and certification?

I believe so.
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah i will keep learning my whole life. I also want that CEH and SANS GSEC certification.

That's great. Best of luck.