Can you get a Cyber Security job with a criminal record?

smamadorsmamador Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been searching around and I can't find anything.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    depends on the crime and when it occurred I would imagine.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Simple answer, of course you can. The not-so-simple answer, it all depends on the crime. Misdemeanors will create a lower barrier than a felony. Also, when the crime occurred will also play into the decision-making process. The industry sector you apply to will also have, potentially, some regulatory guidance which may or may not create a barrier for you. So, obviously, there are far too many variables to consider with so little information from you.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are you searching for exactly? You're not going to find a job listing that specifically states they take people with criminal records.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As others side, it's a question of the crime. Some of the first hackers caught were actually recruited by the government to work for them instead, but those days are long gone. Generally I wouldn't worry too much about a drunk driving conviction or maybe even a shop lifting charge when you were young. Anything having to do with robbery, embezzlement, any violent crimes or cyber crimes, I would say you chances or getting hired are zero. I would also say it depends on your level of experience. Someone with 10 years of experience in skills a company really wants might be hired with a criminal record, where the same company wouldn’t hire someone without experience. Look at it for the companies view point, sure you paid your debt to society and are a reformed citizen, and we have a high degree of confidence they will not be a problem employee for us….. But why take the risk?

Think as yourself as a commodity, or product. Your selling yourself to a company, you want them to buy you, but if your box is dented on the side on the shelf, they would do the same thing as most people would do in a store, slide your box out of the way and grab an undamaged box behind you on the shelf. The only time they would pick your dented box is if it was the last one of the shelf.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm going to go the other way with this. It depends on the company, period. They're the ones that will have a background check conducted, they're the ones you'll apply to and interview with, they're the ones who make the hiring decisions. There's nothing stopping you from starting your own company and doing it yourself.
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think Stryder said it best. If the record was 20 years ago it wouldn't have as much as an impact as if you had something very recently. Also, if you go through a staffing agency and get a contract job that could also affect how much they check. This is because the staffing agency would be much more welcoming since they're making money from you while you're employed.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    It may be tough to be put in trusted roles. You may be able to land an advisory type roll if you are smart enough.

And I mean really smart. Unicorn style. That might help in some companies where this sort of thing is uncharted waters. Others won't hire those with a criminal record for liability reasons.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Ask Kevin Mitnick.