Stress and Study Habits - Help !!!

Hello all -

Have a general question about studying for tests.

As you can see from my profile I am no stranger to the certification game. But I switched jobs a month ago and somehow my study habits got all messed up.

I am studying for MS 70-290 but posted this in general as I could apply to any cert.

To make a very long story short, I was moving along tward MCSA and ended up getting a much better job...I start the new job, even get set time each day at work to study, and I study when I get home.

But after a month at the new job I am no closer to taking this test then I was 30 days ago icon_eek.gif

Maybe I am not focusing enough, maybe I am not hitting the correct material....but I am getting the same (and sometimes lower) scores on practice tests then I was before the new job.

A friend told me not to sweat it as marrage / moving / new jobs are ultra stressfull and I am just adjusting to the new situation.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced something like this....new job....going back to school or a new school....anything that seemed to change your study ability...and how did you bounce back?

Comments

• BF2MadBF2Mad Member Posts: 171
    After 270 I changed jobs and did not look at a book for 290 for over 4 months the only thing that got me working on 290 was to book the exam for in a months time that way I had a date I had to be ready for.

I now do the same after every exam, I book the next one as soon as I can so I have a date to be ready for.
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    bcairns wrote:
    But after a month at the new job I am no closer to taking this test then I was 30 days ago

....but I am getting the same (and sometimes lower) scores on practice tests then I was before the new job.
    Maybe this doesn't apply in your case, but I think it's a mistake to use practice tests as a way to LEARN material. Personally, I don't even look at practice tests until a week before my exam date, after I've thorougly read all my study materials and done the labs. Even though it's tempting to try gauging my level of preparedness by looking at practice questions as I go, I know that my time is better spent learning the material first, then testing myself later. Again, maybe this doesn't apply specifically to you, but I think alot of people fall into the trap of trying to use practice tests to learn material.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you sound be be out of focus, you have been taking a break unscheduled but a break none the less. all you need to do is set your time ( reasonable as being married comes first) and then just do it.

if the method is in need of reworking try a different one.. many are posted here that others use that work for them ( your going to have to figure what works best for you)

practice test... what can i say for them..... they are good to guage where your at in the learning process but not for testing process.. most of my NP tests i have taken i never hit 90 to 100% most i was in the 80s. some i didn't get there but got pissed and just took the test
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons