GCIH Scheduled June 2

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
I looked at some of the passing threads for the GCIH, but wanted to get some reassurance I have a good plan in place.

I attended the Simulcast for the GCIH last week (ended the 16th). Since then I've been studying and building my index. Should be done today or tomorrow with it. I've been taking the quizzes that come with the on-demand training but finally got access to the actual practice exams, so I plan on taking one of those within the next couple days. Then I'll probably take it again Thursday just to be sure.

As far as material I've got:

SANS 504 Books
SANS **** sheets
Switches for several commands on Windows and Linux (wmic, netstat, net use, msfconsole, etc)
Blue Team Field Manual

Don't really have a ton of experience with some of the red team exercises they had, but I'm decent at IR/IH stuff.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Best of luck. The materials and study plan sound solid. You shouldn't have any problems.
  • InCryptableInCryptable Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is the Blue Team Field Manual? Is this something provided in class?

I'm getting ready to take classes for the 504/GCIH in the next two weeks.
    Please reply back on how well you did on your practice tests and if your 1st go around with your index building was valuable during the practice exam.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow 10 days to study and build an index seems pretty aggressive to me, especially with working full time as well. Your first practice exam will tell you where you stand, but just remember it’s not a race. It’s better to take a little more time and make sure your ready before you burn one of your practice exams. If you don't score at least an 80% on your practice exam, I would push the exam date at least a month to give yourself enough time to properly study.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Blue Team manual was bought online, so it's separate.

First practice exam was 67% but I really rushed it and did it in an hour. If I took my time I would have gotten at least a 75. But now I know I can take my time and really read through everything.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you're pushing it, but if you feel comfortable with the material then go for it. Good luck!

Since you already have CEH, have you noticed a substantial overlap in the material?
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    Yeah I'm pushing it definitely but I feel confident I can pass.

There's some small overlap with incident handling processes but this is way ahead of the CEH from a technical standpoint
    I also get to work from home all next week to modify my index and study. My job is cool about that stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck markulous! Let us know how it goes! I'm studying for my GCIH now as a matter of fact! In the middle of 504.2!
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    markulous wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pushing it definitely but I feel confident I can pass.

You missed passing by a good 6 points, may not seem like much, but in my experience, you only pull your grade up by 5 points of so between each practice test and the exam. If it were me' I error on the side of caution. It's not a cheap certification and retakes are no cheaper.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    I feel like I could have had a way better score if I didn't rush. Couple that with studying more, adding more to my index, etc., I think I'll be okay.

Most test centers are what like 24 hour notice to reschedule? If Wednesday evening after I take the practice test I feel bad about it and didn't get a good score, I will reschedule.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a open book exam... With a good index and a little bit of studying you should be able to pass this test. I think if you even knew 1/2 of the questions from your knowledge. You should be able to look up the other 1/2 quickly with a good index. That is from my experience without studying much and creating my index a few days before the exam.

I don't like these are open book for this reason.
    My index was a little light too, so I'm rectifying that today. I realize now that an extra page or two isn't really going to slow me down when I'm scanning for words that are in alphabetical order.
    Revamped my index and slowed down quite a bit on the second test. Couple of questions I thought were worded a little funny, but overall it wasn't too bad. Got an 80% so I think I'm good to go.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats bud icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • InCryptableInCryptable Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Passed. 81%

As said by others - Congratulations on passing the GCIH

I begin my SEC504 class on Monday...and thus I'll be going through the same cycle you just did.

I just got finished with my GSEC studying and just recently passed it this week...

IRT the GCIH exam - you mentioned the Blue Team Field Manual - is there a particular reason you got that book and was it valuable to you on the test or during your course? I can order it from Amazon and have it be here by Tuesday...just wondering if it's valuable or not towards testing.

Also, during your GCIH test - did the test have an ongoing update for your score every 15 mins? I've read that older GCIH tests gave you your running score every 15 mins/questions?? My recent GSEC exam did not have that...just the timer. TIA
    Thanks guys!

^^I ordered it just to have and thought it had a couple useful things in there to help me study. I used it in the test to remember a couple of ports, but that was it.

Nope, no update at all during the test. Looks like they stopped that
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing. I start the Simulcast for GCIH on the 12th. How did you like it, the class?

I've already started making a study guide from some practice tests a buddy let me have.
    Are you doing the Simulcast for the one here in Denver? My coworker is attending that one in person.

I loved it. John Strand was our teacher and he's awesome. Good material too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing markulous!
    Yeah it's the one in Denver. John Strand won't be teaching this one though. I'm excited though. I hope to knock out the test as quick as you did. For some reason my job wants me to take the test in 60 days lol
  • keane234keane234 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you read all of the SANS books?
    fabostrong wrote: »
    Did you read all of the SANS books?
    What do you mean by that?

The class has 5 books associated with it plus a book for the last day. Each slide they go through is a page from the book and that's what you design your index around.